Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Bored at Work / Off-Topic Chat Thread II

Not so much of a TL/DR as a TL/WR.

Something struck me as rather odd yesterday. The entire family went to church, then on the way home, I sat with my kids' grandparents in their car, which are my ex-husband's parents.

They asked me (as usual) if I have a boyfriend, which even if I did, unless it was serious, I wouldn't tell them because I just don't feel the need to share my private life with anyone. I never actually do seem to have one while I'm in Mexico, I'm usually between. It's far too complicated for me to explain all that in Spanish as it is and again, I really wouldn't share that information anyway. (How does one explain friends with benefits in Spanish to a pretty religious and conservative family? Yeah, that's a tough one and I left it alone several years ago.)

So the kids' grandmother asks me if I would ever marry my ex again. Uh, no. And she's like, "Why not?" Well for one, he's a pig-headed douchebag who smacked me around, put me down, refused to let me go out unless I were practically wearing a burqa (sp?) and didn't let me have any male friends. But I settled for "I don't love him." Which is the truth and easiest to explain. I found it really odd though - divorce is divorce. I have to wonder if they don't really believe in divorce or some shit, which is ... lol. Because lol.

Anyway, I found that a weird question to ask someone.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Christian in Mexico generally means Catholic, right? If so then yeah, they don't believe in divorce. At least that's the official stance of the institution. They do allow "nullification," which is sortof an end-run around the no-divorce thing, which is where you say that one or both of you didn't really mean your wedding vows as you were saying them, or for some other reason they weren't valid, like if one of you was already married to someone else. That way you're not violating your holy union so much as creating a polite fiction that you never had one in the first place.
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

That... sounds a little bit like they're trying to fool themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
          Christian in Mexico generally means Catholic, right? If so then yeah, they don't believe in divorce. At least that's the official stance of the institution. They do allow "nullification," which is sortof an end-run around the no-divorce thing, which is where you say that one or both of you didn't really mean your wedding vows as you were saying them, or for some other reason they weren't valid, like if one of you was already married to someone else. That way you're not violating your holy union so much as creating a polite fiction that you never had one in the first place.
          I know this, as I did grow up Catholic. However, pretty much all of my Catholic family agrees that divorce is divorce and recognizes it as the dissolving of a shitty marriage. Though many have criticized me for it, they still recognize that I'm not still married.

So yeah, seems like some sort of denial. Back when the X and I were having all our problems and I knew the marriage was ending, my sister-in-law tried to tell me we'd work it out, and that we loved each other and I'll be honest, it did sound like she was trying to convince herself. In Mexico I think you're expected to stay with whatever shitty spouse you choose and just deal with it. In the States, not so much. There is, of course, a fine line between truly irreconcilable differences and just not trying hard enough, true, but when the very thought of him even touching me repulsed me (and still does), yeah, there's no saving that.

At any rate, I can manage to talk to him without wanting to commit murder at this point, but I still avoid it when possible.
          sigpic

Comment

After all Religion is all about fooling yourself, and how others profit from it.

And about marriage itself it's way less disposable over here than it is up north, but it's really a cultural thing. No one can really say one point of view is better than the other, only that whichever works best in your culture is what becomes the norm over time.
            Last edited by Raydeus; 09-10-2012, 04:48 PM. Reason: Dislexia or Forum Monster? o_O;
            sigpic
            "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
            Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Yar, here be politics
              Originally posted by Armando
              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
              Matthew 16:15

Comment

I saw that floating through BG a while back and was convinced it was a cleverly disguised site designed to promote awareness of Jill Stein.
                Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                Name: Drjones
                Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

I had never heard of Jill Stein or Gary Johnson before I saw this pop up on BG, either. And somehow I sided with Johnson. Meh. Politics is fucked anymore regardless.
                  sigpic

Comment

so am I confused, or did Nintendo make a legendary Pony pokemon?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Fliegar View Post
                    That... sounds a little bit like they're trying to fool themselves.
                    Christians? Never!

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                      They made about four (depending on how far your definition of "pony" reaches), modeled off The Three Musketeers characters. The Water-type that was given an alternate form with an utterly ridiculous-looking horn is supposed to be d'Artagnan.
                      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                      Matthew 16:15

Comment

I mean it looks like a fairly clear MLP jack here, man

Comment

I don't know the status of MLP:FiM's popularity in Japan, but I really doubt it had an influence. Coincidence, maybe.
                          Originally posted by Yygdrasil
                          Originally posted by Nandito
                          Ponies.

Duh.
                          You make me want to hurt things.

Comment

There's only a fujillion pokemon now. You should be able to pick any creature real or fictional and find a pokemon that looks just like it now.
                            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

The feeling that I must be missing something - I haz that.

I've been going over and over and over and over my finances since I've spent a (ahem) bit more than I've wanted to while I've been here, but from all angles, I look ... fine? Wait, what? So I swear I am missing something. Some bill has gone unpaid. Somewhere. Either that or I really did make a fuckton of money from all this overtime and I didn't even realize it.

Failing both, I'm sure I'm due for a massive vehicle breakdown soon. Though honestly, if that happened, I'd start walking to work.

This part is for the universe to skip. Move along, universe. This doesn't concern you.
                              Or maybe for once in this godforsaken life of mine, I can get ahead? Maybe?
                              Nothing to see here, move along. *whistles*
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                                Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                                Reiko Takahashi
                                - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                                Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Working...
                                X