Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aksannyi
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    {Maybe.}

    For god's sake, please give us Maybe.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pteryx
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Iarendiel View Post
    And I wish I had yet more words available in auto translate. ; ;
    Things I'd like to see added to auto-translate:

    {Enmity}
    Color words -- at least {white}, {yellow}, {orange}, and {red}, but {pink}, {blue}, {green}, and {black} would be handy too.
    {Evasion}
    {resist}, in reference to reduced magic effectiveness
    {Blue Magic}
    {maybe} -- if I never see {May}{Bee} again...
    {I'm on my way.}

    Just off the top of my head. -- Pteryx
    Last edited by Pteryx; 04-21-2008, 12:15 PM. Reason: Forgot some

    Leave a comment:


  • Ziero
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    First off, let me just say that I lol'd at the first post in this topic. The whole idea is to talk about things that are very rarely discussed and yet the majority of the opening OP is talking about how the new jobs get hosed on god/relic/Abj gear? Yea, that's lol-worthy.

    Originally posted by Kittyneko View Post
    Well, you might have noticed that Campaign did sort of strengthen the feeling of Allegiance to your nation again.
    With Conquest, we're basically mercenaries taking missions for the city and nothing more. But in Campaign we're actually joining that nations standing military force. So that's the reason why it seems that feeling of allegiance is increased...because in reality it is.

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    Its in the game - no one uses it because no one cares about PvP in FFXI.
    Plenty of people care about PvP, a lot of people love PvP. And that's one of the things that makes FFXI so frustrating for them, because PvP in this game is very poorly executed. Me, I could care less about playing PvP. I'm not the type to go randomly slaughtering other players, even if they did piss me off. But I would absolutely LOVE it if SE really pumped up the PvP system in this game...all the PvP systems. But I'll come back to this in a bit.

    Infact, that's one of the things I think this game could stand to be improved upon. All it's awesomely half-assed Mini games, which PvP currently falls into. Chocobo racing/raising, Pankemon, Ballista, Brenner, and so forth, all fun things...that just aren't worth it. PvP especially should get major overhauls and additions, to make it easier to get into and more worthwhile to do. I'm not saying that people should get god gear or anything from it, but how about something more then pocket change, pitence Exp, a funny hat and a plaque.

    Pankemon suffers from this the worst because once you get a mob to 50...what's left? You bought a funny hat that can only be useful for more Pankemon, and then nothing. Throw in the fact that there's still a ton of interesting mobs from the past that we can't use...but they allow use to take pictures of Chariots and Soulflayers? Yea, that don't make sense.

    And while Chocobo raising is, with good reason, a long, expensive and somewhat difficult task to accomplish (if you're after a specialized bird), it provides very little rewards. And unless you go out and buy the tags of colored birds to mate them, your chances of getting a non-yellow choco drop dramatically...and you won't know which one you're getting until you're a few weeks in anyway. And then being able to race these birds, well it's highly limited and horribly ignored. The track is a great place to be and hang out...but no one ever goes there and it's a damn shame.

    PvP should be expanded upon. Both in direct combat situations like Brenner and 'training contests' like Pankemon. I would personally love to see the addition of actual, ingame, Ballista leagues. It's supposed to be a sport, why not treat it like one. Let players build their own teams within multiple divisions, and grant the winning teams (relatively) large sums of cash/exp/merits/points/whatever. And even make a specialized zone, and not just some 'diorama' zone (which I think is a total waste because we can only utilize a small part of said zones), where people go play, and watch, these teams compete. Hell, it doesn't even have to be ballista, it could be a new sport entirely on it's own.

    Dueling could easily be added as was suggested earlier, but it would be best to keep it to certain, specific, spectator friendly zones. Similar to Pankemon, only with more rooms.Winner gets exp/points, loser gets less exp/points. You'd be able to set handicaps, lvl caps, item usage and all that crap to keep it as fair as possible. And the rewards should be something usable in the 'outside' world, so there's a reason for people to play it casually as well as go hardcore into it.

    And for crimety sakes, open up the damn Colosseum already. And no, the Pit is not the Colosseum. The Colosseum is a seperate door in whitegate that doesn't have a use yet. It was supposedly going to be like the FFVII one where you fight monsters for prizes but nothing happened with it.

    And a 'Golden Saucer' type area with tons of fun, simple, rewarding minigames would be a great addition to the game. Make the rewards be special Meds or Food or Charged items so you can play them, get something useful, use it and have to play again. Pretty much being similar to the Treasure box rewards you obtain during Assaults, even adding in ??? items...those are always(slight sarcasm here) popular.

    Also, an in game card game. It's speaks for itself, it's a simple idea and would add another form of 'indirect' PvP that players can do to kill time while waiting on stuff (though it's probably impossible to execute). The rewards would be the cards themselves, which could be bought/sold/traded and won at a players will. Do a mini quest to obtain your 'starter pack', which would have semi random cards, and even 'sell' better ones at the previously mentioned 'Saucer' area for 'points'. If done right(HA!) it'll take off on it's own and persist and thrive without any more enticement then what is needed to start. Hell they could even market a real life version and cash in on the CCG craze.

    As for Linkshell changes, all I ask is to be able to obtain a list, and modify the status of, all those who've gotten a pearl to my group. Mainly so I can give my Mules pearl sacks. That, and maybe purchasble meeting rooms/house(but I think moving ones MH to the LS house would be stupid as people live in all three nations and would thus have to 'move'). But otherwise, for what it is, I think it works fine. What they should do however is add a more 'business' oriented grouping system, something in which you all seem to have discussed, designed to take down big monsters/events and stock and store gear/cash/points and the like. Keep linkshells as being that mass group, semi-disposable communication system that can be easily obtained and shared and create a new method for the big boys to communicate along side LSs.

    More storage, though nice, isn't something that's ever going to be perfectly soved because the more we get the more we need. Though I do like the special R/E Storage idea, even if it's NPC storage. Though one thing I think should be changed is that furniture in your room should not take up Bank space. There is already a limit to how much furniture one can have in a room, why not let that be an 'extra' storage system. I.E., you set up a bed and it's removed from your Mog Safe and put into your 'Mog Space'. It can fill up while giving us both extra Mog Safe space and Mog Storage space.

    I think those two changes would open up a *lot* of extra inventory space for players.

    Originally posted by Akashimo View Post
    Sure that wasn't just an /em examines you? People do that in crowds just to piss people off
    Last edited by Ziero; 04-21-2008, 12:03 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • dirtyclown
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Red mages don't enfeeble anymore. D:

    Leave a comment:


  • Aksannyi
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Some would argue that a WHM worth their salt wouldn't really need a refresher in an XP party. I've had several parties on WHM without one and suffered very little because of it. A good WHM is a hell of a lot better than a mediocre RDM, even if "endless" MP is what you seek in a healer.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mhurron
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Akashimo View Post
    Why should we leave it at good enough? Why not superior or most effect?
    Because if it's good enough it works and allows you to consolidate a few different roles into fewer jobs. If a RDM is good enough healing for a situation, meriting for example, then WHM would be over kill and you would probably still be looking for a refresher. Good enough lets you get another DD, or a better puller, or whatever the party wants.

    Good enough gets the job done. Since it's results we're looking for, there is nothing wring with good enough.

    Leave a comment:


  • Akashimo
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
    You seem to misunderstand the concept of good enough.
    Why should we leave it at good enough? Why not superior or most effect?

    Leave a comment:


  • Iarendiel
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Truece View Post
    I wish SE would address capital letters in tags... Why, oh why, will <Me> or <T> not work?!
    I actually stopped typing spells out because of this, so I think it would be great to change.

    And I wish I had yet more words available in auto translate. ; ;

    Leave a comment:


  • Tomato_Kai
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    That was odd. I'm half asleep, and so my first read-through of your post made it look like you were commenting on T-Shirts. Then, I almost fell asleep and accidentally pressed the "Thanks!" Button. Then, I woke up and decided to post this. And now I'm typing and clicking "Submit Reply!"

    Leave a comment:


  • Nuriko
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    I can't seem to quote just now ... if you need to use something outside of a macro, typing works well. It would just work better if you could afford to leave it as <T> instead of shift-, release-t shift-.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mhurron
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Akashimo View Post
    No, I just noticed cures just don't heal as much as I'm used to seeing on whm.
    <_<; It burns me to see such a difference to be acceptable.
    You seem to misunderstand the concept of good enough.

    Leave a comment:


  • Akashimo
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
    You fight Vrtra 24/7?

    RDM Cures are indeed good enough for many things.
    No, I just noticed cures just don't heal as much as I'm used to seeing on whm.
    <_<; It burns me to see such a difference to be acceptable.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tsrwedge
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Kailea View Post
    why does that even matter........
    Don't type spells at all, do you?

    Also, SE, tab completion for names at the top of the list, not the bottom.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mhurron
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Akashimo View Post
    Bold: Yea....no. Red Mage cures don't quite cut it compared to White Mages. 1) Half the time red mages use cure 4 where a whm would either need to cure 5 or cure 3. 2) The real cures are Regen II/III + merits.
    You fight Vrtra 24/7?

    RDM Cures are indeed good enough for many things.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kailea
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Truece View Post
    I wish SE would address capital letters in tags... Why, oh why, will <Me> or <T> not work?!

    why does that even matter........

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X