Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yellow Mage
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by dirtyclown View Post
    Picture this: A message in yellow text pops up in the log telling you that player X challenges you to a D-D-D-D-DUEL!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61blkxROeE[/ame]

    I honestly don't know who has more time on their hands: those guys, or myself.

    . . . But I'm at least pretty sure it's those guys.

    Leave a comment:


  • Brielle
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    On the subject of elitism, I always have to laugh about this because I find it so ridiculous.

    I played Alliance on a PvP server for most of my WoW career, and our guild was the second for progression on the server behind a rather massive guild which was also Alliance. Many of our guild members were poached with promises of gold and epics, since they had access to raid bosses we were not at yet. Curiously, I was never asked to join their guild. All of our other officers had been asked, but not me. This had me wondering if I was not doing my job correctly, or if I had made a bad impression. Officer channel was buzzing one evening when that guild had asked our guild leader to disband the guild and join them. I spoke up and asked if anyone had a clue as to why I was being overlooked. The channel got very quiet and finally one of them said it was because I was female.

    After a few minutes of silence, I asked the obvious question, "What does being female have anything to do with that?". According to this other guild, women are not as capable players because we lack an aggressive nature. They also believe that women are little more than distractions to a raid group and are to be avoided.

    I nearly fell out of my chair laughing, I could not believe what I was reading. Of course, I had to say something to their guild leader. He happened to be standing next to me at the mailbox one evening and I was very direct in what I was talking about. He stood by this guideline and that he did not allow women in the guild, not even wives/girlfriends.

    If that is not elitism, I am not sure what is

    Leave a comment:


  • Malacite
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Elitism at it's finest... - .-

    Leave a comment:


  • Brielle
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    As an officer from an end-game guild in World of Warcraft, it is horrifying to read some the things that people say about others when they know the other person can't read it. One piece of gear can make or break getting into a guild, it happens quite often. I tried to employ the idea of bringing prospects on instance runs with us, but that was voted out because it was deemed to be "too much work". Gear is a part of the character, but I think that someone's skill is far more important.

    As of right now, I feel like I am painting a terrible image of WoW. That is not really my intention, because the game itself does have quite a few redeeming qualities. Not everyone who plays is obsessed with being covered in epic gear and not everyone bashes their neighbour for what they view as a poor choice in armour. The incidence of it is higher, but it usually comes from the same people time and time again.

    Considering myself quite lucky, I had access to the highest quality gear that the game had to offer for a healer. People need to realize that not everyone who plays can invest that many hours a day to a video game (even though I love to!). The world needs some constructive criticism, let go of that negativity.

    Leave a comment:


  • Telera
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    I saw more and heard more about harassment over gear in XI than I ever did in SWG or LotRO. That said, it almost never happens in XI, either. (For nice emphasis.) It's more of a rarity and usually isolated to people who are overly anal-retentive about things like that. It's simply that I personally saw more incidences, not that it never happens on the other games. But I don't think it's more common in western MMOs than Eastern. But then, the only western ones I've played were LotRO and SWG. I've never touched WoW or EVE and have no desire to do so. It's almost certainly much more common in WoW than XI, though. Just from what others have told me of it. I just don't think all other Western games are a reflection of WoW's rather odd community.

    Maybe it's because I came into SWG only a few months before the death-knell of the NGE, but I never once was checked, talked to, or asked about gear. In LotR, its the same. I don't know if people even use the function. The only time I've ever used it was to see what cloak some Elf I saw was wearing because I wanted to go buy my own. I like nice clothes. :p I've never heard people prepping for Rift/CD/Helegrod muttering in Kin chat 'Omg, look at that guy's armor. We need a new tank. lololomg' And in party I've never heard anything about anyone. Ever.

    Leave a comment:


  • Brielle
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    I've never seen anyone harassed in FFXI over thier gear being checked in FFXI, its just some deep-seated fear JP players have. And really, it only takes place in the Western MMOs.
    That is very true. In World of Warcraft you would constantly see people harassing one another over their choices in gear. Often times I would be sitting in the auction house and someone would be inspecting me, then randomly send me a message and try to advise me on a better choice or even criticize something I was wearing at the time.

    I left World of Warcraft because far too many people put emphasis on PvP, even on the servers where it is supposed to be PvE geared. The competitive nature was too much to handle as someone who enjoys end-game raiding. It is hard as a healer to go into a battleground wearing PvE gear and hope to survive unless you have a group of players guarding you. As far as dueling is concerned, I just ignore people who ask me to. It is pointless to try and prove myself in that manner.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingOfZeal
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Feba:
    You can heal with a pet out on BST, but that's the only job. SMN won't let you heal with an avatar out, when a PUP heals the puppet heals as well, and I'm almost certain a DRG's wyvern acts the same way as pup.

    Also, and I don't know this for sure, but speculation says that if the pet (for DRG and PUP) were to be attacked while you're healing, it'll stand up, and then sit right back down. You however won't be forced to stand up with them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Omgwtfbbqkitten
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Feba View Post
    So, your point? Annoying people are going to be annoying. You're going to blacklist them anyway; why take out (or not add in the first place) a feature which many say they would enjoy, for the sake of getting to blacklist them for something else?
    Because its completely uneccessary and there's already a means of getting that fix in-game already, that's why. Its called Diorama-Ghlesa Outpost and Diorama-Poroggo Isle.

    Its also called Ballista. Takes places in various zones everyday.

    I mean, playing a support class encourages people to harass you; that doesn't mean SE needs to take out BRD and COR. Having a rare piece of armor encourages people to harass you; that doesn't mean SE shouldn't have given us Relic Armor.
    No one harasses CORs for invites, a BRD or RDM can go /anon and you typically stop getting bothered unless you're a real party whore.

    I've never seen anyone harassed in FFXI over thier gear being checked in FFXI, its just some deep-seated fear JP players have. And really, it only takes place in the Western MMOs.

    About the only thing I can think of that would make sense would be like a Dojo setting. But for all the reasons to oppose adding a feature, "idiots will be idiots!" is about the poorest one you could ever come up with.
    Again, the Dioramas.

    Its in the game - no one uses it because no one cares about PvP in FFXI.

    Leave a comment:


  • Feba
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Shrayn, I'm pretty sure every pet job is like that. IIRC, if you try to rest as a SMN, and your pet attacks, you get up. Might've changed, but being able to rest while your pet fights could be pretty broken in some ways; although not as broken as with SMN.

    My advice? Cookies. +hMP is your best friend.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shrayn_lolsam
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    I think SE just jumped right through Pup, to be honest. Do you know they have the second highest throwing skill rating? (Along with a few other jobs) But if they were to throw something, they would have to take out the automotion oils/animator, which leaves pup pretty much useless. Not to mention the only thing they can throw is the three (lvl60?) throwing discs that do 1dmg via IS, the Mamoolbane, Trollbane, and the other one that escapes my mind at the momment.

    Another issue about pup, if you rest, the puppet rests as well. Now how is that going to work when SE only gives pup mage gear, the crappy stuff only. Suggesting that pup /mage and does some back line stuff. It would take out the damage input/healing from the puppet totally, yea, you can rest inbetween fights. But with the... lets say, the whole +50 mp you get from mage gear wont last long.

    Leave a comment:


  • Feba
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    So, your point? Annoying people are going to be annoying. You're going to blacklist them anyway; why take out (or not add in the first place) a feature which many say they would enjoy, for the sake of getting to blacklist them for something else?

    I mean, playing a support class encourages people to harass you; that doesn't mean SE needs to take out BRD and COR. Having a rare piece of armor encourages people to harass you; that doesn't mean SE shouldn't have given us Relic Armor.

    Personally, I don't think I'd be opposed to a dueling system, so much as concerned about how it could be implemented. About the only thing I can think of that would make sense would be like a Dojo setting. But for all the reasons to oppose adding a feature, "idiots will be idiots!" is about the poorest one you could ever come up with.

    Leave a comment:


  • Omgwtfbbqkitten
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by KingOfZeal View Post
    Personally, I liked the EQOA setup of dueling, much like dirtyclown described. Being able to duel != dueling. It must be accepted by both sides. Heck, you could even put in a betting system associated with it (a wager of sorts) like the current trading system.
    EQOA had dueling added? Sounds like I got away from it at good time, well, it was already headed downhill as of the first expansion. Sony showed time and again they didn't really give a shit about that one, though to the games credit it was the PS2's first load-time free experience.

    Nonetheless, the thing about the system you're talking about is that it encourages people to be pests. Its like that guy in Lower Jeuno still doing the casino scam, you're not forced to associate with him or gamble, but he's still a pest anyway and you eventually blacklist him or you don't.

    Leave a comment:


  • ItazuraNhomango
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Just to emphasis the right thing to do with fish bots (or any detectable bots): Report them to S-E.

    Go to FFXI's Service and Support website:
    1. Scroll down to "E-mail Support"
    2. Click on "You can send mail form inquiries from here".
    3. Scroll down to "Report to Special Task Force".
    4. Select report type: "Witnessed the use of third party software in-game".
    5. Click "Open mail form".

    Then, fill out the page.

    Info you'll need to supply:
    - Date.
    - Time.
    - World.
    - Character name(s).
    - Description of what the botter(s) were doing.

    Leave a comment:


  • Feenicks
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    That windstorm's going DOWN.

    Leave a comment:


  • Murphie
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    More like someone pissing into a windstorm, but whatever helps you sleep at night.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X