Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pteryx
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Alas, MrMageo is *gasp!* actually partially right for once -- some of the problem does seem to be omg being so judgemental. It might be difficult to make this discussion stable as long as he feels that this is his thread and should only include stuff he likes. -- Pteryx

    Leave a comment:


  • Sevv
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by MrMageo View Post
    not possible TM as long as this is the internetz
    fixed

    Leave a comment:


  • LyonheartLakshmi
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Sevv View Post
    Oh hai this is an Internet forum where people argue about anything and everything, just because they can. Please check reality at the door.
    Generalized it for you.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrMageo
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    not possible TM as long as BBQ thinks that everyone else is wrong about what they think the issues are this thread will never stay on track.

    Leave a comment:


  • Taskmage
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    This thread has skipped the rails in numerous directions. Shall we just end it and start over? <_<

    Leave a comment:


  • MrMageo
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Leave a comment:


  • Sevv
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Oh hai this is ffxio where people argue about things not happening in game. Please check reality at the door.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrMageo
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    The PvP complaint is a common one from an outsiders view - its not really up for discussion because (1) its not an "issue", its clear by now SE wants a different kind of PvP and each new kind they develop proves that and (2) a lack of a mainstream form PvP, like griping the state of RDM or SMN, is commonly complained about.
    First, I still play this game and I want an additional form of PVP (not an outsider opinion).

    Secondly, Anything anyone has said in this forum is not up for discussion then. If SE wanted it how we want to see it then It would be like that. So as you would put it deal with it.

    What new form of PVP their hasnt been an update to it since brenner, that was so long ago I don't even remember it happening. People don't even participate in the game anymore. I went and did some brenner last night, know what I did. Sat on the beach beating the crap out of people. Not one of use did the game.

    Lastly, now its ok for RDM's and SMN's to complain about things? I thought this was a thread about Issues we don't often discuss. Not RDM complains about melee, and SMN whines because he can't keep an avatar out.

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    . more jiberish
    Seriously bud make a new thread and title it. "BBQ explains why you are wrong and I am right". Every single time someone has a thought to add you refute with that wont work, it's not how they want it. This whole thread is useless on that assumption you make. They have the game how they want it. Once again BBQ you show how much of an attention seeking troll you are. (hell Im begining to think your worse then me, at least I only spout off in the RDM forums and disagree with everyone.) Its a discussion and you seem to think only your side holds water. Since it is based on opinions on the issues we rarely talk about, they all hold water.(even your snide comments every 3 posts.) so BBQ deal with it.


    Anyhow back to the topic, In PVP last night I realized 2 things. 1. They seriously need a reward system, even if it was trophies to put in your MH. I went 6-0 last night and survived an onslaught of NIN,PLD,WHM. (I Aspir). I should get a trophy called last man standing or something. Cuz seriously I owned PVP and all I got was 30K (40K but 10 was mine). Secondly they need to make a bland area, even if it was just a section of desert, fighting peole who have so far to run away is lame, not to mention sometimes the draw you into those stupid detector things. A square arena about the 4 mog houses in a square would be perfect.

    In addition to that they need a spectator area where people can bet on the winner, an npc where the duelists can bet on the winner, and a set of trophies or something.

    It would let people make some gil, and would also take gil out of the system.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kittyneko
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Feba View Post
    that sounds more like you tried to change your OS langage,
    -.-

    Leave a comment:


  • Brielle
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Malacite View Post
    Only way to do that would be to pull PS2 support altogether.
    Is that really a viable option for Square-Enix to do? If they pull support from the PlayStation 2 client, will they not lose quite a few subscribers? It would be wonderful to say that everyone could afford to go out and buy a PlayStation 3, but you cannot really expect that. It is going to become quite the dilemma, because eventually I can see the PS2 being unable to support Final Fantasy XI. Perhaps they could introduce a new hard drive or some way to update you PS2, but even then you are looking at money a lot of people cannot or are not willing to spend.

    Leave a comment:


  • Malacite
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
    and eliminate the absurd memory constraints for the poor PS2 at the same time.
    Only way to do that would be to pull PS2 support altogether.

    Leave a comment:


  • Feba
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Kittyneko View Post
    I did it, and my window titles and start menu and such were full of weird letters, shortcut's didn't work etc.
    That... has nothing to do with FFXI. That's a problem with the language pack. And there's really no reason installing language support should cause those problems; that sounds more like you tried to change your OS langage, but without having proper support for the character encoding.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kittyneko
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Feba View Post
    There's really nothing to prove. If this were possible (or still possible, it does sound vaguely familiar), there would be no need for a Windower IME plugin, or any of the third party programs that have been made for this purpose. Those people would've just said "here, do this", it would've been a far better use of their time. And I mean, when you ask a GM if it's ok to use third party tools to type in Japanese, and they say "No, we'd still ban you for that", there's not really much room for interpretation.
    No, you obviously didn't read all my post. I did it, and my window titles and start menu and such were full of weird letters, shortcut's didn't work etc. You can still type normal roman letters though.

    But lets just drop it then, I already said to just say you were right. That's better than a long yes/no discussion.

    Leave a comment:


  • Feba
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    I'd like to point out he's not talking about the things I WANT TO TALK ABOUT, but is instead talking about WHAT THE TOPIC IS ABOUT. Waaah. Waaaaah.
    If you want to start a topic about your concerns, start a topic about your concerns; don't start a topic under the guise of seeing other people's opinions if you don't want to hear them.

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    I don't know anyone who wants to type in Japanese, so I'm going to assume that those that honestly care enough to have JP client for typing in japanese get the JP client.
    Wrong. I already gave you plenty of examples; and there are multiple people here who would like to see this in this thread. There's also very little in reason against it (last I heard, the reason SE didn't add it was a licensing fee-- given the amount of money they make on this game, I have a very very hard time believing any IME license would cost a significant amount of money)

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    The PvP complaint is a common one from an outsiders view
    That's nice. Just because it's a common complaint doesn't mean we discuss the matter often.

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    Lack of PvP was not a complaint before FFXI, as it was not mainstream for all MMOs, it was a complaint that came after the release of World of Warcraft
    This is just plain wrong. I remember plenty of people complaining about the lack of PVP outside of Ballista long before WoW hit. I also remember there being plenty of MMOs before FFXI that had PVP, although I'd have to ask friends for specifics, as FFXI was the first one I played. People like to be able to fight; and fighting with other people was one of the first uses of online gameplay.

    Once again, you're making a strawman argument-- the fact that people think that SE could add something else does not mean that they think they're going to bend over backwards to add it. For example, right now, most people would agree that PVP works. It has it's kinks to iron out, but it works. Brenner and Ballista, however, are team sports; and neither Diorama is well suited to 1 on 1, or other small combat. You also do not win purely by beating the snot out of the other team.

    Nobody is asking for a huge change, just a decent way to fight. Hell, three steps: Take the PVP code of Ballista/Brenner, change it to reward kills instead of scores, take out the rooks/flamenbrenner and petras, and change the colorscheme on a BCNM. Diorama-Throne Room would work nicely (since it doesn't require the run up most do)

    Then just toss it in, maybe upgrade the reservation system some (since it's a BCNM and not a full area, it could be shared by multiple parties without trouble), and go. We aren't asking for nation versus nation combat, we aren't asking for BLMs to be made into great tanks, we don't want World of Warcraft, we just want a way to smack the crap out of our friends; in a way that Ballista and Brenner don't satisfy.

    Unless you honestly think that Ballista and Brenner are bad for FFXI, you can have nothing bad to say about adding something like this. Hell, it's getting about time for them to add a third type of combat anyway (only two country's pasttimes are represented now), they could squeeze this in with it.

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    I'd love to see real reasons to take linkshells into these places and tear up the fortresses from top to bottom,
    Well, fun. I remember my old LS kicking the crap out of the places when we went there for R4. But other than that, I agree.

    Could be made pretty fun too-- have different quests/missions, kinda like Eco Warrior, except instead of being weakened to the point where you almost have to sneak through the place, the point would be to kill as many as possible on your trek through. Then you could enter the BCNM at the end (or for the second teir strongholds or campaign, some other market), and kill a boss. That could be great fun, with an 18 man alliance, to just knock the crap out of the place.
    ______________________________
    Originally posted by Kittyneko View Post
    I'd love to prove this to you,
    There's really nothing to prove. If this were possible (or still possible, it does sound vaguely familiar), there would be no need for a Windower IME plugin, or any of the third party programs that have been made for this purpose. Those people would've just said "here, do this", it would've been a far better use of their time. And I mean, when you ask a GM if it's ok to use third party tools to type in Japanese, and they say "No, we'd still ban you for that", there's not really much room for interpretation.
    Last edited by Feba; 04-23-2008, 11:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

    Leave a comment:


  • Kittyneko
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Feba View Post
    Not in FFXI, at least not without third party programs. SE has stated, very clearly, that if you're typing in JP on an NA client, it is third party tool usage, and they can/will ban you.

    This isn't a matter of installing JP language packs and software on the user's computer, it's a problem with FFXI's client.
    I'd love to prove this to you, but since I can't right now and it's probably better not to do it, i'll just say you're right.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X