Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RDM Melee Guide Post 03/08 Update

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
    RDM/PLD is great for JoLove, but kind of useless outside of that.
    I actually intend to prove this wrong, but I'm never going to make any outrageous claims about it. >_>
    Last edited by Yellow Mage; 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM. Reason: WOOT! 1000th Post!
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
      I actually intend to prove this wrong, but I'm never going to make any outrageous claims about it. >_>
      WHY MUST YOU BE THE ANTI-ME YM???!!!

If I meet you IRL one day we're having a breakdance battle to settle things once and for all.
      Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Get us some shots of you tanking Sky Guardians, Sea Jailers, or HNM as /WAR.
        Even PLDs don't tank /WAR anymore.
        The Tao of Ren
        FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
        Originally posted by Kaeko
        As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

/WAR would be used solely for party tanking tyvm although Im sure with the appropriate set up It could possibly tank bigger things. Id take PLD over NIN any day of the week once i get sentinel and flash. Sentinel convert cure 4x2 thanks for comming out.

sig courtesy tgm
          retired -08

Comment

WHY MUST YOU BE THE ANTI-ME YM???!!!

If I meet you IRL one day we're having a breakdance battle to settle things once and for all.
            Elvaan RDM/DRK DD versus a Tarutaru RDM/PLD Tank . . .

Yep, breakdance battle seems like the perfect way to settle the dispute between such polar opposites.
            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
            Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by MrMageo View Post
              /WAR would be used solely for party tanking tyvm although Im sure with the appropriate set up It could possibly tank bigger things. Id take PLD over NIN any day of the week once i get sentinel and flash. Sentinel convert cure 4x2 thanks for comming out.
              So what do you do during the other 10 minutes?

edit: I thought you were still talking about party tanking. The conversation jumps around so much in here.
              Last edited by Murphie; 03-18-2008, 03:44 PM.

Comment

RDM/PLD for tanking instead of RDM/NIN, eh? I'd like to see you try RDM/PLD on Kirin or Byakko. Get someone in your LS to capture that into a movie and post it on YouTube... (Don't worry, won't be a lot of work; it'll be a short video, after all.)
                Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Not to be a grammar police but if you want us to take you a bit more seriously or with more credibility at least stop typing shorthanded. We're all making some form of effort.

Odd to hear you say you cannot afford a Scorpion Harness but yet have 2 pieces of Zenith gear. But then again I suppose when did you get them since prices started falling. A Scorpion Harness is what, 200k?

On top of all that, IfritnoItazura is right. RDM/PLD on anything "big" won't get you very far either. Sure, you can hold hate, but not when something is biting you for 300-400 per hit, double/triple attacks.

EDIT: The RDM/PLD reference is not intended for the Jailer of Love comment.
                  [LadyKiKi]
                  Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
                  .:|The Prototype BST|:.
                  Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

You know, I was originally just going to post a criticism, but this thread has gone on long enough without some empirical PROOF.

MrMageo would have you believe that spellcasting only interrupts attack cycles if you happen to be in the middle of a spellcasting animation when you're "supposed" to attack.

Let me henceforth lay down some ownage.

I just went to Eastern Altepa Desert as WHM75/BLM37 with no weapon or Haste gear equipped (only gears equipped are a Noble's Tunic and Herald's Gaiters for convenience). No Haste spell active, so my barehanded attack should be delay 480, or 8 seconds:

I then did a control test to make sure that my H2H delay was indeed as expected.

Now watch what happens to my attack timers when I cast Repose (4.5 seconds base cast time) right after an attack cycle:

As you can see, I launched a H2H attack some time between 6:09:56 and 6:09:58.

I started casting Repose at 6:10:00 (2 seconds later)

I finished casting Repose several seconds later (allowing for message lag) - but still WELL before the next attack should have gone off.

The next attack occurs some time between 6:10:11 and 6:10:13 - 13 to 17 seconds after the first attack.

Hence, Repose added several seconds to my attack cycle. As I mentioned previously, spellcasting puts your attack timer "on hold" while you are casting.

This is my proof.

Well, MrMageo? The ball is in your court.

Icemage

Comment

lol. Brilliant, Icemage. Just brilliant.

I wonder if the OP is going to:
                      A) Back peddle and say he was misunderstood, his client must have been lagged when tested this, or just trivialize the whole issue.
                      B) Pretend this little gaffe never happened and continue to act as if he's the authority on all things FFXI in other threads.
                      C) Go on a big rant on how everyone's picking on him and is somehow "butthurt" and etc.
                      D) A little from column A, a little from column B, a little from column C...

Must be tough writing a RDM melee guide without any understanding of how spell casting and melee stuff interact with one another.

- Mugaku

Comment

Indeed so it seems however lets have a look here we will just use your logs.

Ice mage Hits SB @ :59
                        Ice mage Repose @ :00
                        Cast of repose @ :08

uh oh thats a problem

the next attack was supposed to happen @ 07

-8,-7,-6,-5,-4,-3,-2,-1,0 , 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
                        1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

HM crazy 15 seconds after your first swing you hit the 2nd swing Just like I said would happen if you over ran the delay timer which you did at :07
                        :59 + :15 = :14 (sometime between :13 - :17 as you put it)

You launched you H2H attack some time between :59 and :00

:59 + 8 puts you at :07
                        :00 start cast
                        :between :08-:09
                        Making the casttime :8's

so you went over the delay timer with your cast. Making your post completely redundant to what I state. Next time try dia or something and see what hapens.
                        Last edited by MrMageo; 03-19-2008, 03:35 AM.

sig courtesy tgm
                        retired -08

Comment

But weren't you the one to claim that you can cast spells that have the same casting time as Repose without added delay in your attack?

People have known for years that casting slows down melee swings. There are jobs who *depend* on timing their casting of spells while meleeing who know exactly how that works. And you're the one coming in claiming that all that information is wrong and that you're the *only person ever to play* who knows how to cast a spell without delaying melee swings?

Until YOU provide proof of how it's possible, then you have no leg to stand on. Get FRAPS, it's a program that lets you take both pics and vids of your game, it's free for what you'd need and completely sanctioned by SE. Infact it was one of their suggested methods of capturing video for their Fanfest video contests. Once you have that, you can then provide exact and unarguable proof that what you say is correct.
                          "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

You launched you H2H attack some time between :59 and :00

:59 + 8 puts you at :07
                            :00 start cast
                            :between :08-:09
                            Making the casttime :8's
                            Hey, are you claiming it takes 8 seconds to cast Repose?

- Mugaku

Comment

If the player need to get off spells like stun, cure, sleep, repose... it is not wise to *clock* the casting at a predefined time frame in melee swing; the player want the spells to fire off *now*. In the long run, casting magic will eventually slow down melee....
                              Server: Quetzalcoatl
                              Race: Hume Rank 7
                              75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

And doesn't Dia have like a 1 second cast time on a 75 Rdm with the hat on?
                                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Working...
                                X