Kitase strikes again - FFVII remake would be hard to remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kitase strikes again - FFVII remake would be hard to remake

I hated Terra so much. Bad acting, and even worse script. She was never that wussy in the original game. Oh sure she had a lot of confusion/self doubt, but not to the point that was portrayed in Dissidia. If they had scaled it back a bit she might have been perfect.

The rest of Dissidia's cast was absolutely perfect (oh how I love Shantotto's voice...). Honestly I really did enjoy Sephiroth's character much, much more in CC - He actually makes for a damned good Hero. As a villain (at least the way he was originally written in 7) he just seemed like too much of a crazy, cartoon villain.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
      The rest of Dissidia's cast was absolutely perfect (oh how I love Shantotto's voice...). Honestly I really did enjoy Sephiroth's character much, much more in CC - He actually makes for a damned good Hero. As a villain (at least the way he was originally written in 7) he just seemed like too much of a crazy, cartoon villain.
      Oh dear god no any match with her was like some form of WW2 Japanese torture.

Seriously!
      Seriously!
      Seriously!
      Seriously!
      Hahahaha
      Seriously!
      Seriously!
      Seriously!
      Hahahaha
      *Firewind snaps and forces the other player's PSP into whatever part of the body would happen to be most painful*

Shantotto was fun to play as but I had to mute the game every time I played as her
      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
      Reiko Takahashi
      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

I hated Terra so much. Bad acting, and even worse script. She was never that wussy in the original game. Oh sure she had a lot of confusion/self doubt, but not to the point that was portrayed in Dissidia. If they had scaled it back a bit she might have been perfect.
        OK.

You're an amnesiac and you've only just learned your origins. You have tremendous power that has been manipulated for the purpose of destruction in that past. You hands have spilled blood under manipuation. And the world as you know it has been destroyed.

You come upon some orphaned kids, you take care of them and through taking care of them, you learn to master your abilities, your comrades return and your reunite with them to fight the final battle

Still, you're scared of losing control and the threat you face is one that wants to burrow into your mind and get you to lose control. He's destroyed most of your world and almost killed your comrades once. He does it for the most disturbing of reasons - to prove a point.

Given you've had some instances where you have lost control, wouldn't you just be a little frightened to face him? You've only just begun to master your powers.

You would not be a mondo badass warrior - you're not Samus Aran or Solid Snake - you'd be timid, require some emotional support from others. Terra was portrayed realistically.

You look at Terra from the resolution of FFVI, not where she was before that. All the characters in Dissidia are portrayed prior to the resolution of their stories.

The overall plot was going the be ham - that's just to be expected in any crossover story - but SE did not neglect character portrayal or thematic devices.

Comment

Towards the end of FF6 Terra seemed to have a much stronger character than what was portrayed in Dissidia. I just think they could have scaled it back a bit.
          sigpic

Comment

Towards the end of FF6 Terra seemed to have a much stronger character than what was portrayed in Dissidia. I just think they could have scaled it back a bit.

Thing is Mal, we really dont know at what point in FFVI's storyline did the events of Dissidia happen. It would be unrealistic to make Terra the strong person she is at the end, since it would have killed any attempt at control on Kefka or The Cloud of Darkness' part.

Honestly I really did enjoy Sephiroth's character much, much more in CC - He actually makes for a damned good Hero. As a villain (at least the way he was originally written in 7) he just seemed like too much of a crazy, cartoon villain.
            Yeah, knowing Sephiroth's backstory and heroic background made me actually feel sorry for the guy. He's a villain by force, not by choice, at least I think so.
            Originally posted by Van Wilder
            Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
            Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
            I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

Originally posted by hexx View Post
              Yeah, knowing Sephiroth's backstory and heroic background made me actually feel sorry for the guy. He's a villain by force, not by choice, at least I think so.

Hmm, well he more or less had a mental break down that was triggered by Zack's less-than-tact words. Though I thought it was rather hammed up to be quite honest. He was mentally stable right up until that very moment? Yeah okay, not believing that for a second. It would have made more sense for him to have simply gotten pissed off and go on a hunt for Hojo for the truth rather than his psyche just collapsing altogether the way it did.

People don't just break down mentally in an instant, not without either some prior trauma or some kind of extreme mental shock. I'll admit finding out you may in fact be some kind of monster might account for that, but he's known he was special and had powers ever since he was a child. I find it very hard to believe that that would shake him as badly as it did.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hexx
                Nah, it was by choice the second he started burning down Nibelheim, injured Tifa and he skewered Cloud. If he didn't have a choice, then why was Angeal redeemed? Sephiroth might have been duped, yes, but he believed he was something really special, to the point of even acting spoiled. He had an ego before his fall, there were fleeting moments of humanity beneath the ego, but he really believes he should be a champion of his own making.

Zack had nothing to do with Sephiroth's fall, Genesis did goad Sephiroth into embracing "the monster" but it wasn't for anyone's benefit. Angel was redeemed in many ways. Genesis only slightly so. We don't really know what his involvement with Deepground came to be, but we do know that he found a kind of peace through Zack granting one of his wishes - to share a banora white apple with Sephiroth.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                  Nah, it was by choice the second he started burning down Nibelheim, injured Tifa and he skewered Cloud
                  Not really by choice, since he had completely lost his mind by the time he realized he was "created" by Dr. Gast. Once that happened, his world pretty much shattered since he came to realize that he wasnt as special as he thought he was. You have to remember that Angeal and Genesis were the two people he considered equals, as well as friends, and once he lost them and found out what he really was, his mind just snapped. His sense of reality was distorted, and the time he spent in the Lifestream brought out Jenova's power inside him to transform him into the major ego-maniac we have now.
                  Originally posted by Van Wilder
                  Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
                  Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
                  I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

Zack had nothing to do with Sephiroth's fall, Genesis did goad Sephiroth into embracing "the monster"
                    Right, so I'm just imagining the part where Zack comments about Sephiroth possibly having been made the same way as the monsters they were looking at, at which point he immediately snaps.
                    sigpic

Comment

Right, so I'm just imagining the part where Zack comments about Sephiroth possibly having been made the same way as the monsters they were looking at, at which point he immediately snaps.
                      Pretty sure you're imagining it, since Zack was actually rather sympathetic regarding Genesis and Angeal. Zack is dumb, but not dumb enough to goad Sephiroth of find reasons to make him snap at him in the face. Sephiroth rebuked him once early in the investigation, but it was on a professional level. He was a class act until the Genesis encounter at the Nibelhiem reactor and holing himself up in Shinra Mansion to study up on the Dr. Gast's S-Project data.

Comment

Would you settle for less than that? Maybe a remake on the level of SSFII Turbo HD Remix? Pretter prerenders, remastered music, proportionate characters, better battle graphics, voice over and perhaps an expanded materia system and story?
                        This is pretty much exactly what I want. I could even live without modifying main story and materia system. I just want something that looks better than the original.
                        "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bjiCaKFZbw"]YouTube- Crisis Core: C09S02 Sephiroth's Confusion [English Sub][/ame]

@2:15 Zack triggers his break down. It's worded differently in the English version but I couldn't find a video.
                          sigpic

Comment

The saddest part of this whole thing isn't that they probably wont do it, but they aren't already working on it.

Comment

Just saw this over at Joystiq....

[ame=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/340095.html]If FF7 Were Made 10 Years Earlier[/ame]
                              sigpic

Comment

@2:15 Zack triggers his break down. It's worded differently in the English version but I couldn't find a video.
                                Zack's comment made Sephiroth realize something and this being FF, realization is rather melodramatic. Zack is dumb, but insightful enough to make associations based on information he has. It just popped in his head and he said it.

Just reacting like he did would suggest what Armando implies about Cloud - Post tramatic stress disorder - but that doesn't add up for Sephiroth at all. PTSD has nothing to do with the realization he had.

And seconds later within that very same scene, Genesis shows up to do some more goading. He led them there, he's there to see Sephiroth eat some crow. He knows that Sephiroth now knows the truth, as he does.

But even then Sephiroth regains some of his composure, and afterward he goes and locks himself away in Gast's study to get to the bottom of the the matter. Isolation and other things like sleep deprivation lead to mental some degree of mental instability. By Zack's account he was in there for weeks.

That's where the breakdown occurred, if the breakdown happened that the first visit to the reactor, Zack and Genesis (or another Genesis clone, at least) would have likely been pushing up daisies right there. Sephiroth still required further proof at that time.

The Sephiroth that entered the mansion and the one that left are where the divide lies.

Comment

Working...
                                X