Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kitase strikes again - FFVII remake would be hard to remake

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand your point and how it relates to my entire post.

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
    Like OMGWTFBBQKitten said, it's already available on PSN and selling very well. I just don't see why SE would go to the effort of making a full remake when porting it to the PS3/PSP and then putting it up on PSN is cheaper for them and will give back far greater returns in the long run.

A remake would involve a lot of time and resources on SE's part, time and resources that they will not be able to spend on other projects like FFXI/XIV. Financially, not remaking it and porting it is the better plan.

Honestly if I were in charge of SE I would find some way of getting the FFVII port on XBox Live and the Wii-live-whatevernetwork thing for download because they would stand to make far more money that way than heavily investing on a remake. Hell I can name you eight people I know personally who would invest in SE to see the port put up on XBox Live.

They also risk confusing the hell out of new gamers who aren't familiar with the Final Fantasy series. Wait XIII and XIV came out now suddenly VII is coming out? What are the devs doing by putting random numbers on things?!
    Sure its selling at a decent pace but I wish they could tell to who because its probably to the majority of people that have played it already. I was talking to a couple of my gamer friends and they bought it but their kids won't play it. They just laugh at the graphics and say "why should I play THAT when I can play..." lol A remake would sell to older gamers that have fond memories of the game regardless of if they've played it before. It would also sell to the newer generations that won't play the older version. And to say it would be confusing because the number is 7 and not in succession is bullshit. The FF series isn't done in order because you need to play one before the other. They all stand alone and you get just as much benefit from it as the person who's played the entire series. (Of course this doesn't include the POS FFX-2 but most people won't play that for more than a couple of hours before tossing it out anyways.) Confusing....seriously??
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

TGM, in your first post you call SE assholes because you seem as though you want a remaster of FFVII. Then you go on saying that you aren't a fan of FFVII. Why so adamant about a remake of a game you aren't a fan of?

I dunno.. I used to be all about a FFVII remake and wanting other games to be remade. However, the more I think about it the more I feel like eventually it would just take away from what the original was/is.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
        (Of course this doesn't include the POS FFX-2 but most people won't play that for more than a couple of hours before tossing it out anyways.)

75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
        RANK 10 Bastok
        CoP: Done
        ZM: Done
        ToA: Done
        Assault rank: Captain
        Campaign Medal: Medals
        Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
        This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

A remake would sell to older gamers that have fond memories of the game regardless of if they've played it before. It would also sell to the newer generations that won't play the older version. And to say it would be confusing because the number is 7 and not in succession is bullshit.
          Then I suggest you have a loot at some rather bitter fans over the matter of Persona 3 getting a third version in about five years instead of Persona 2 not getting a remake after Persona did for PSP.

If FFVII got a remake before FFVI, there would be a shitstorm because FFVI is very highly regarded by many longtime fans. There are portion on FF fans that have not been happy since partys skewed down to three members only because of "Graphical limitations," that the main story became easier as of FFVII, that the story was weaker than FFVI and other stories before it.

FFVI took all the risks FFVII didn't dare to. FFVII just killed a dumbass flower girl and had a villain with mommy issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
            If FFVII got a remake before FFVI, there would be a shitstorm because FFVI is very highly regarded by many longtime fans.
            Keep telling yourself that. I'm not saying you don't have a point, but compared to the FF7 fanbase you're really in the minority here and SE (as evidenced by past decisions) could really care less about pissing off a smaller group of people when they can cash in on something big time.
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
              Keep telling yourself that.
              Sorry, that's my line. Instead of taking Tycho's dated argument from Penny Arcade, try thinking of your own.

JRPG are in decline and they're in decline for a reason - many of them keep aspiring to be FFVII or to be an anime. This is what has cost them a great amount of mindshare in the west. Even in Japan it is starting to lose mindshare because JRPGS have lost touch with its hardcore side.

This is not a problem Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei are having, but all the others are. The Japanese might not realize it, but these franchises feel fresh and different to them because they draw on some classic western influences. They'll deny it, but the people behind the games will not.

Japan is starting to get a taste for something more progressive and if SE were to simply remake FFVII, there would only be a prettier HD game. It wouldn't raise the bar.

Games like FFVI and FFXII, though, have dared to be different. They dared to draw on Western influences further more than any installment of the series. FFVI had split paths, a post-apocalyptic world, the option to reassemble the entire group or leave people behind. The whole second half o the experience was an open-ended affair. Oh, and it was challenging, Kefka wasn't some pushover.

FFVII, as a whole, is a pushover.

Predictable plot.
              Cliched plot devices.
              Villian with a mommy-complex

Oh, and its story couldn't stand on its own. The subsequent embellishments made to the story have only created the need for more explanations or plugging of plot holes.

Why is Tseng backhanding Aerith when he gave his all to save Zack, whom he considered a comrade?
              Why are The Turks acting like tools when every other characterization of them shows otherwise?
              Why do Reeve and Vincent get no real character development?
              What part, if any, does Genesis have to play?
              Like Aerith, Hidegger and Scarlett seem to be plot devices as well.
              Are the monsters of the world all remnants of Angeal and Genesis' powers?
              Why is the leader of the original Avalanche not having any part in the events after Before Crisis?
              What happened to Cissini?
              Where's Deepground for all of FFVII, just spleeping?
              A whole superhuman army on par with Sephiroth and they do nothing but chill under Midgar?
              Why is Jenova such a big part of all of this, but gets practically no character development?
              What is the deal with the remnants of Sephiroth?
              Where is this Promised Land?
              And the Lifestream can up and leave the Planet as The Omega Weapon if it really wants to?

Whole damn thing is a mess now.

If, perhaps, they had left all this at Crisis Core and just that, I could see the need for a remake. but as it stands, a remake could not hope to address all the questions I have.. They embellished FFVII's story too much - kinda like how George Lucas embellished Star Wars too much - and it became weaker for it.

Were there to be a remake that tried to address all that, newcomers would be left behind. And they would need to address all that for all the people that played the other games. You can't drop important plot points after selling them so hard, that's just irresponsible..

They remake FFV or FFVI, there's not a lot to address. In fact, they can just add things that were originally had to leave out due to constraints of hardware at the time. That's what the did with FFIV DS.

Has FFVII not aged as well as other Final Fantasy games? That I cannot argue. It is hideous to look at now, but still functional. FFVIII and FFIX are easier on the eyes. but FFVII was what we got for Squaresoft ditching development for Nintendo 64 mid-stride. FFXIII is what we get for SE ditching PS2 mid-stride, too, though space constraints seem to be an issue as well even in the age of Blu Ray.

Comment

In b4 tl;dr
                75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                RANK 10 Bastok
                CoP: Done
                ZM: Done
                ToA: Done
                Assault rank: Captain
                Campaign Medal: Medals
                Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Predictable plot.
                  Cliched plot devices.
                  *cough CRYSTALS cough FAMILY MEMBERS cough*

I didn't really find FFVII any more guilty of these than FFVI's predecessors.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                    *cough CRYSTALS cough FAMILY MEMBERS cough*

I didn't really find FFVII any more guilty of these than FFVI's predecessors.
                    Well, FF, FFIII and FFV followed a similar flow, it was just FFV had more fleshed-out characters and that was retconned into FFIII later.

FFII and FFIV were the first two to be more narrative driven and FFIV had pre-defined character growth rather than job classes, which has also since been altered a bit.

Crystals, chocobos, Cid and such are staples, not so much predictable plot elements. Its also rather natural for some characters to have family rather than them all be orphans.

Family is what makes Cyan easy to identify with, watching his family drift into the afterlife is heart-wrenching. Watching a flowergirl who's a total airhead get skewered? Not so much.

And they didn't even try as hard with Cyan. But knowing he had a wife and a son and meeting them? That changes things.

Comment

You can QQ all you want, they're not about to do 6 over 7 man that's just how it is like it or not :/

FF7 = guaranteed cash cow = most likely bet. Besides that, as good as Dissidia was, I still prefer 16-bit Kefka.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                        Oh, and it was challenging, Kefka wasn't some pushover.

FFVII, as a whole, is a pushover.

Predictable plot.
                        Cliched plot devices.
                        Villian with a mommy-complex
                        Flies and vinegar, BBQ. One, of course FF7 is easier to complete. The challenge was moved into bonus bosses for a reason: To allow people to enjoy the game without massive dedication to leveling up, planning, acquiring items. Yet they still left challenging things for those who want them.

Two, any story can sound pathetic when you reduce it to the simplest possible terms. In fact, most of the great stories are fundamentally identical. There's a reason it's really easy to line up characters and events in the Bible, Star Wars, and Harry Potter.

Three, like it or not, Atlus fans are not representative of the majority of the RPG community. I appreciate what Atlus does. I like the games I get my hands on. But they have a very outspoken fanbase, and they work for that base, not for the general market. That's definitely a strength in a lot of ways, but Atlus is reliant on that market. If an SMT game was rejected by the fanbase, there'd be practically nobody else to buy it, and because of the way Atlus operates, it would probably be off shelves before anyone in the mainstream even noticed it. SMT games are also not FF games. I don't know what people in the Atlus fanbase think of Persona 2. I do know that there are tons of people in the FF community that consider FF7 to be hugely deserving of a remake, and who want to see it happen. I also know that there are not a ton of people who give a damn about FF6. What works for one franchise doesn't always work for another.

Comment

Originally posted by Absentia View Post
                          TGM, in your first post you call SE assholes because you seem as though you want a remaster of FFVII. Then you go on saying that you aren't a fan of FFVII. Why so adamant about a remake of a game you aren't a fan of?

I dunno.. I used to be all about a FFVII remake and wanting other games to be remade. However, the more I think about it the more I feel like eventually it would just take away from what the original was/is.
                          It ticks me off that they hand that crock of shit to us. Most of the people I know that are avid gamers are intelligent geeks. They can do a remaster and they can do it profitably yet they try to hand some bullcrap to us and expect us to go "oh ok". I'm not a big fan of FFVII individually but I am a fan of the FF series and look forward to each game's release. A remaster of FFVII intrigues me because it begs the question....would it garner an even bigger following? When the game was first released it a part of its mystique was because it was the first FF on a next gen system and not on a disk based system at that. They also hyped the hell out of it. People said it was because it was a good game. Sooooo would the release of a remaster (not remake) grab just as many people? more? less?

Also want to note I want a remaster. I want the graphics tweaked but I don't want additional content to the storyline or a change to the storyline. I want the same basic game but prettier and then lets see how it stands.
                          Originally posted by Feba
                          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                          Originally posted by DakAttack
                          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

More over, thanks to Crisis Core they could redo some of the older scenes, maybe toss in some of the bits from CC to better flesh out some parts.

Lord knows some of the dialogue (Sephiroth's especially) could use some tweaking. Hell they could even toss in some new materia for kicks. Though, redoing some of the summons might be a real pain in the ass, particularly KotR. HD Chocobo Raising & Racing ftw though. OOOO they could use Six-Axis for the motor cycle and snowboarding mini games as well!
                            sigpic

Comment

I am tired of all the FFVII hype myself, I liked FVII dont get me wrong, but I would truly be pissed is a remake of 7 came out before 5/6 they have been going in order, and they need to stay that path.

But the shear hype that FFVII has gained, I dont understand it, the story is the same as all the other final fantasy's, and hell I found FFVI's stroy to be better then 7's but it gets more attention because of rabid fans, that want to see Cloud and Sepheroth @!#$.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                                It ticks me off that they hand that crock of shit to us. Most of the people I know that are avid gamers are intelligent geeks.
                                'Intelligent geeks' who apparently have never held a job outside of the local computer parts dealer. This is a business and businesses have to have business justifications. If the predicted sales do not outstrip the predicted cost, the project is too hard to justify. Too hard is a valid phrase that means many things, not always really how hard it would be to actually do.

You think an HD version of FF7 would sell like hotcakes? SE might see sales numbers for the followup games, Advent Children and the sales of 7 on the playstation network and come up with a very different idea as to how well it would sell.
                                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Working...
                                X