Kitase strikes again - FFVII remake would be hard to remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kitase strikes again - FFVII remake would be hard to remake

I dont care if they do a FFVII remake or not, woudl be interesting to see, but if they skip FFV and VI to do it, I would (along with many others) be very disappointed in Square
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

TGM, if the choice is cutting a few or several projects on other platforms to realize a remake of Final Fantasy VII - a game that is widely available and selling well on PSN, may I add - then I think that is a tremendous waste of time, effort and resources when Square-Enix needs to be working on ideas that will increase their market share in the west.

It would also be incredibly dumb - the way the market is now - not to make a few more quiet acqusitions. SE has scooped up Gas-Powered Games and Eidos so far. And it was SE that is encouraging and pushing Eidos to pick up the Deus Ex and Thief franchises again. Eidos sure as hell wouldn't do that on their own - maybe while they're at it, SE will get Fear Effect up and running again.

Bottom line: If you need your FFVII fix, its already there. SE has made some moves that I am much more interested in seeing bear fruit than wasting time and resources on a game I already have. Especially in the light of its two predecessors not having a turn at the remake table yet.

Comment

I'd much rather see SE try new franchises instead of constantly going back to various FF entries multiple times. Yes, the games are good, but how many times do we need remakes and reissues to see that all in all it's just the same thing we've been playing (I know there are a few enhancements here and there, but you get the idea)? I don't think SE could ever produce a FFVII remake that would live up to what the rabid fan base wants and I don't personally think it'd ever sell enough to make a decent profit to warrant that remake.

Comment

Originally posted by Absentia View Post
          I'd much rather see SE try new franchises instead of constantly going back to various FF entries multiple times. Yes, the games are good, but how many times do we need remakes and reissues to see that all in all it's just the same thing we've been playing (I know there are a few enhancements here and there, but you get the idea)? I don't think SE could ever produce a FFVII remake that would live up to what the rabid fan base wants and I don't personally think it'd ever sell enough to make a decent profit to warrant that remake.
          Have you read any of the reviews for any of the FF remakes? Have you played any of them? There are plenty of people currently enjoying these renditions, and anxiously waiting for the next one. If that isn't you, that's fine. SE is still making new games that you can buy.

I personally would enjoy playing an updated version of FFVII. I loved the first version, but going back to it after so many years it just doesn't look very good to me any more. I want that same great story with that same great system/play style. I just want it to look better. I am willing to bet there are millions that agree with me.
          "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Shoot, Id love to see all the FF's remade, something about FFVII yes..its epic indeed. Seems unfair though in a way, since FF1-FF12 to date are all awesome(though that does o'course go with ones own opinions eh?) Theres apparently just something about that Buster Sword wielding spikey hair bastard we all love. Still...it wouldnt be the same no, duh of course not^^v its -remade- its suppose to be, change can be good. An unless they actually do upgrade it with modern gen. graphics...it would still be dominant. If they did remake it, an you love FFVII, of FF in general your probably going to buy it xD.Id imagine the remake with the CG graphics we saw in the teaser, with in-gameplay graphics being that of...maybe Dissidia(depends on other possiblities).

Comment

Originally posted by Solymir View Post
              Have you read any of the reviews for any of the FF remakes? Have you played any of them? There are plenty of people currently enjoying these renditions, and anxiously waiting for the next one. If that isn't you, that's fine. SE is still making new games that you can buy.

I personally would enjoy playing an updated version of FFVII. I loved the first version, but going back to it after so many years it just doesn't look very good to me any more. I want that same great story with that same great system/play style. I just want it to look better. I am willing to bet there are millions that agree with me.
              Yes, I've read reviews and yes I've played a couple of the remakes. I'm not 100% against them, I just would rather Square Enix try to establish some new franchises instead of going back and redoing old ones multiple times.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                I dont care if they do a FFVII remake or not, woudl be interesting to see, but if they skip FFV and VI to do it, I would (along with many others) be very disappointed in Square
                5 wasn't nearly epic enough to warrant that kind of money, nor was 6. Oh sure lots of us love 6 and would argue it's even the best in the series (at least story wise) but only 7 has that global, iconic recognition that SE needs to guarantee the sales to pay for such a project.
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                  5 wasn't nearly epic enough to warrant that kind of money, nor was 6. Oh sure lots of us love 6 and would argue it's even the best in the series (at least story wise) but only 7 has that global, iconic recognition that SE needs to guarantee the sales to pay for such a project.
                  far enough, they already remade my favorite one (FFIV) anyway, so I am very content ;p

But I would not mind seeing FFVI remade, because it is my second favorite of the series.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

They are more likely to be remade on the DS than any other platform. No money problems there.

Comment

And its also had 12 years of face time with the gaming community, a movie, a PS2 game, a PSP game, a reissue and update to the movie and a PSN release.

Popularity has nothing to do with it, SE puts FFVII ahead of FFV and FFVI and they can expect some serious fan backlash. FFVII has had enough turns at the table. I'd rather not have the heritage of the series get eclipsed by the most overrated installment again.

Comment

Hmm, I'm not sure over rated is the word I'd use. More like over-exposed. 7 really was amazing, but it the legion of fan boys behind it are what have made it tiresome. I for one am infinitely grateful for Crisis Core, and actually enjoyed Zack's story more in some ways.

7 just happens to be their big cash cow for better or worse and there's really nothing you can do to change that. Having said that I agree that 6 would be seriously epic and one of the best contenders for an HD remake. The opera scene alone would be worth doing it. As much as I'd love to see 8 or 9 done as well, both of those can honestly be left alone. I say that for 8 really only because it was probably the least popular entry sadly, despite being a wonderful (if very under rated) game. With regards to 9, that was a nostalgic masterpiece and a tribute to the series up until that point and IMO it should stay that way. Not many people cared for 9 but I for one love it to death for all the throwbacks to the series.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                          TGM, if the choice is cutting a few or several projects on other platforms to realize a remake of Final Fantasy VII - a game that is widely available and selling well on PSN, may I add - then I think that is a tremendous waste of time, effort and resources when Square-Enix needs to be working on ideas that will increase their market share in the west.

Bottom line: If you need your FFVII fix, its already there. SE has made some moves that I am much more interested in seeing bear fruit than wasting time and resources on a game I already have. Especially in the light of its two predecessors not having a turn at the remake table yet.
                          Yet you want more remakes of other FF titles and thats ok but you'd deny the fans of VII because you didn't really take a shine to it like someone else? Sorry, I'm not a VII fan myself but I think if they are going to go through the catalog and do remasters/remakes of the series then they should play to the strongest parts of the series....and like it or not that would be VII. It sold well, it has a rabid fan base, and the story would appeal to a new generation of gamers. Yes, the younger crowd is not going to take to a PS1 game and usually because of outdated graphics. This would be a way to appease the older generations and appeal to a new audience. Its win win for them.
                          Originally posted by Feba
                          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                          Originally posted by DakAttack
                          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                            but I think if they are going to go through the catalog and do remasters/remakes of the series then they should play to the strongest parts of the series...
                            Explain all of these, then.

. . . really, I'm just curious if they're going to bother doing a FFV remastering at all, and whether or not they'd do it before a FFVI remaster (because so far, we've got DS remasters of III, IV . . . ). FFVII? They have eight ways to Sunday to make money off of that. I'm sure that even (or especially) die-hard FFVII fans would prefer that S-E release some entirely new thing detailing some previously unexplained detail of VII's plot, expanding on the storyline/universe some more.
                            Originally posted by Armando
                            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                            Originally posted by Armando
                            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                            Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                              Well, has there been anything this generation on the scale of, say, GTA: San Andreas or FFXII?

The more detailed games get, the smaller and shorter they do tend to be. When you're dealing with games with smaller, less defined, less individualized assets, they tend to be a lot bigger.
                              Well there was Assassin's Creed 2 and it was possible to mod Oblivion to have huge towns. They weren't as huge as say GTA San Andreas (or even the older Enlder Scrolls games for that matter) but they were still pretty huge worlds

Yet you want more remakes of other FF titles and thats ok but you'd deny the fans of VII because you didn't really take a shine to it like someone else? Sorry, I'm not a VII fan myself but I think if they are going to go through the catalog and do remasters/remakes of the series then they should play to the strongest parts of the series....and like it or not that would be VII. It sold well, it has a rabid fan base, and the story would appeal to a new generation of gamers. Yes, the younger crowd is not going to take to a PS1 game and usually because of outdated graphics. This would be a way to appease the older generations and appeal to a new audience. Its win win for them.
                              Like OMGWTFBBQKitten said, it's already available on PSN and selling very well. I just don't see why SE would go to the effort of making a full remake when porting it to the PS3/PSP and then putting it up on PSN is cheaper for them and will give back far greater returns in the long run.

A remake would involve a lot of time and resources on SE's part, time and resources that they will not be able to spend on other projects like FFXI/XIV. Financially, not remaking it and porting it is the better plan.

Honestly if I were in charge of SE I would find some way of getting the FFVII port on XBox Live and the Wii-live-whatevernetwork thing for download because they would stand to make far more money that way than heavily investing on a remake. Hell I can name you eight people I know personally who would invest in SE to see the port put up on XBox Live.

They also risk confusing the hell out of new gamers who aren't familiar with the Final Fantasy series. Wait XIII and XIV came out now suddenly VII is coming out? What are the devs doing by putting random numbers on things?!
                              Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                              Reiko Takahashi
                              - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

LOL they've remade FF1 and 2 what... at least 10 times now last I checked?

The reason they keep doing those 2 over and over is because they're very simple to port though.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X