Official Bored at Work / Off-Topic Chat Thread II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official Bored at Work / Off-Topic Chat Thread II

So today's paper came out with the annual "It's almost hurricane season!" insert, and up until today, I hadn't realized that after losing my guy, I no longer have a hurricane contingency plan. Because if the storm of the century hits, my plan was to pack a good size backpack (read: my huge green Army duffle bag) with my necessities (including gun + ammo) and ride my bike to his house and ride out the storm there, since he is prepared in the case of a major storm.

It seems I now have to put together another contingency plan.

It's a stupid thing that I hadn't realized, but one more reminder why everything sucks now that he's gone (or at least seems that way, as most would say that if I based my whole life on one person I'm an idiot, and I didn't, but a lot of things I'd planned on are no longer there which definitely does suck.).

Oh well, gonna continue to look for another job and I'll just keep both jobs, then I can work my life away and then when I'm old and tired from killing myself by working too hard with nothing to show for it, I can retire lonely and drink myself to death.

And people say I don't plan for my future.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

One more reason not to live in Florida.
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

As if there weren't enough, already?

Comment

Okay, so I have my own modem and router in my apartment from my ISP and from my sofa, the router is approximately 12 ft away, so can anyone explain to me why my wireless signal would sometimes dip as low as three bars? It's a secured network with one of those megasuperlong security keys in order to access it, so I'm reasonably sure no one is leeching. So anyone have any suggestions as to why my wireless signal blows? I mean I could understand if I lived in a huge house and I had my laptop all the way at the other end of the house, but seriously, my apartment isn't that big.

Thoughts?
          sigpic

Comment

Really Tatsuya sometimes.

lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Feba buys a Lady Gaga album.

There are no *repeat markers in the lyrics.

>mfw 8pt lyrics for one song take three columns across an entire album jacket page.

Comment

I'm not a tech person at all. But I remember on the radio as I was getting ready for work that they were saying.
                Internet users in the uk are not getting the speed they think they are. Most companies say you get "up to" whatever speed and they also said that wireless people would on average receive a 30% slower connection than broadband cable users. I'm not sure how accurate that is but once when my internet was down I borrowed my sisters wireless "dongle" and the speed was rediculously slow like a fat person running uphill.

So I'm not too sure how accurate it is but I believe there is some truth to it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12688839

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Most people aren't getting the speed they think they paid for. On the other hand, people also expect the next to impossible, so it can be difficult to weed out whining from legitimate issues.

For wireless, its a safe bet to never expect to see near the maximum. The farther you are from the receiving tower, the higher the chance for interference or other issues so the higher the chance the your hardware is going to throttle back to get a stable connection.
                  I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

But are the bars reporting connection speed or signal strength? If it's signal strength, some one should recommend a signal booster.

Comment

Signal bars are always what the device has calculated as signal strength. You have to probe a little deeper to find the negotiated speed.
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

The problem is that up until just a couple weeks ago my signal strength was always at five bars, now it fluctuates between three and five, which is really annoying and I can't seem to figure out a reason for it, as I use my laptop from the same spot all the time.
                        sigpic

Comment

So I'm sitting at this desk with an alarm system trying to get one of these camera's to work, while sitting next to this hot ass blonde who just sadly happens to be married. She has the body of a goddess and I cannot stop staring(she already caught me twice). This is going to be one long night >.>

Meanwhile there's a brunette on the other side of me watching Madagascar >.>, with me trying to calm my soldier down
                          sigpic
                          ~The will to not want anything in exchange for nothing~ *Your's truly Linus*

Comment

If she doesn't want you to stare she would wear a burka. If she did get angry it would be like putting art on display in a museum and getting angry that people are looking at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                              The problem is that up until just a couple weeks ago my signal strength was always at five bars, now it fluctuates between three and five, which is really annoying and I can't seem to figure out a reason for it, as I use my laptop from the same spot all the time.
                              I'm far from an expert on the subject, but there are tons of possible sources of interference, from other appliances to faulty electrical wiring. My wife's laptop usually sits inches away from our wireless router, and her signal strength sometimes drops two bars, not necessarily at the same times the Wii in the next room loses sight of the network. We have no idea what the problem is but it hasn't been enough of an inconvenience to bother diagnosing yet.
                              lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I just wondered if there was something I might have done to cause it inadvertently, or if it just does that sometimes. Never had a problem before, and my internet is generally fine - gets a bit sluggish when it dips to three bars but not outright slow. Even though I am highly impatient and I do tend to get angry when pages take forever to load, but that's just me being impatient not my internet being slow, necessarily.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X