This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guide: Building a PC to play FFXIV

So, I think it's safe to say over half the people planning on playing XIV on their PC's are probably upgrading at least one component to play.

Ridiculous.

Comment

It's important to note that the only variable the player has control of in the benchmark is resolution. It will be entirely possible to turn so effects down to achieve a desired resolution.

Personally, I want both.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyprius View Post
        So, I think it's safe to say over half the people planning on playing XIV on their PC's are probably upgrading at least one component to play.

Ridiculous.
        don't see what's so ridiculous about that.
        signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

it really isn't that ridiculous, when you consider that PC gaming is pretty dead except for a couple of MMOs. Most of us here could get away with an eight year old PC, so long as it runs FFXI. It's not that surprising that people don't have top of the line gaming PCs anymore.

Comment

Ok.. Then is it ridikalas?

Or ridonkulous?

I've been out of PC gaming really since WoW came out... So I'm going on my memory of how it was, I guess.

So maybe it's more ridiculous how many people are buying completely new rigs to play XIV? I'm one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
              it's usually really hot where i live, the weather is humid and even on cold days my house is pretty warm so i was wondering what are good inexpensive solutions to this problem...?
              Super old school but I used to take off the side of the case and put a box fan right next to it on high. Cheap easy way! lol I'll have to ask my son if he has anything on his and let you know. His room gets hotter than hell and I know he uses different hardware to help with cooling.
              Originally posted by Feba
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              Originally posted by DakAttack
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Vexerus View Post
                Hey guys, first post and first time ever building a PC. I'd like to know if all this is compatible and which of the two cases you would recommend and any other opinions you might have, thanks.

PC Components

Is it too early/expensive to get a hexacore?
                Pretty solid build, I'd go with a Corsair 600T when they're out or a HAF 922 or even a Cooler master C690 II but if you insist on a full tower Antec 1200/HAF X/HAF 932/Thermaltake Spedo Advance. are all great.

Armor is kinda outdated.

And go for an ATI 5850 instead of 465, its a lot better and around the same price, if not 20-30$ more.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

So, I kinda know a bit about PC's, but when it comes to building one from scratch, I don't have a clue.

Will these components work together?

I am planning on using my current hard drive.

I used this website --> System Builder Marathon, June 2010: $550 Gaming PC : The Budget Build Returns

But I did change a few things around.
                Ignore the 5750 and get a 5770. the numbers might seem close but last I checked the 5770 scored alot better than the 5750 in tests by as much as 35% and it costs 20$ more.

How much are you willing to pay in total?

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

hey, what's the best cooling system for a gfx card? seriously i got an ATI Radeon x1950, it has its own fan but its always overheating and ends up crashing unless i use an external fan (one you'd use for yourself...) directly into the computer

it's usually really hot where i live, the weather is humid and even on cold days my house is pretty warm so i was wondering what are good inexpensive solutions to this problem...?
                It shouldn't crash if the fan is spinning...

but if you want a cooler for it try this Newegg.com - Scythe USA SCVMS-1000 Sleeve VGA Cooler

Another way is to get a couple of fans. 80mm or so and just zip tie them together then zip tie them to the card right over the heat sink. they're light and wont damage the card and 2 fans blowing on the heat sink should keep it running without problems.

Hope that helps.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Originally posted by Bricklayer View Post
                Good catch.

Speaking of power supplies, I've been looking at OCZ. Does anyone have experience with their PSUs? Newegg and Amazon are selling OCZ ModXStream 600W for $60 and $55, respectively (after rebates, not including tax).
                I've never used one, but it looks decent, check the reviews for any usual problems that people come across (like if 3+ people say the fan stops spinning or that that the PC shuts off under load) then theres a QC issue and you should avoid that product.

Personally I'd go with Corsair for PSUs.
                Last edited by Freelancer; 07-06-2010, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freelancer View Post
                  Ignore the 5750 and get a 5770. the numbers might seem close but last I checked the 5770 scored alot better than the 5750 in tests by as much as 35% and it costs 20$ more.

How much are you willing to pay in total?
                  It's funny you say that. I showed this to a friend at work and he said the same thing.

I guess my max is around $600. I've switched out the vid card for the 5770, and I've also found 6GB of Patriot RAM for $140. Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                    Super old school but I used to take off the side of the case and put a box fan right next to it on high. Cheap easy way! lol I'll have to ask my son if he has anything on his and let you know. His room gets hotter than hell and I know he uses different hardware to help with cooling.
                    i actually do that already, the thing is eventually the fan is simply recycling warm air around, its not really cooling at all, crashes will happen again, keeping the room warm is what i should be doing but air conditioning just for my computer is just nuts

Comment

It's funny you say that. I showed this to a friend at work and he said the same thing.

I guess my max is around $600. I've switched out the vid card for the 5770, and I've also found 6GB of Patriot RAM for $140. Not bad.

Try this Mobo instead.

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Supports Crossfire, so you can throw in another 5770 to boost performance.

Also just stick to 4GB ram, you shouldn't need more. and stay at 1333, anymore is just luxury (and requires overclocking)

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 99$ actually is a pretty good deal, the 1333 ones are 94$.

case

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN3 CM690 II Basic Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 69$ alot better and you can fill er up with fans for better cooling. advance is 89$ if you have some money left.

Power supply I'd recommend a Corsair 750w TX for around 100$ future proofs your system for Crossfire down the road.

Comment

i actually do that already, the thing is eventually the fan is simply recycling warm air around, its not really cooling at all, crashes will happen again, keeping the room warm is what i should be doing but air conditioning just for my computer is just nuts
                        What one problem is more case fans do the same thing as that box fan. With a heatsink, the warm humid air will still be stagnant in the case if you don't have enough movement so, imo, it won't help as much as you like. The best option is an air conditioner but, since that isn't an option, moving the air correctly in the case and a heatsink may help a bit. I like to make sure I have an exhaust fan on the top of my case and an intake fan on the back that blows on the card. Have you taken an internal temp reading by the card when it crashes? I don't have air conditioning either and I have my pc upstairs where it is hotter. Also, I live very near a huge lake and have extremely humid summers. (God damn 70+ degree dew points the past few days have been killer!) The only time I had crash issues like you've mentioned is when the actual card was taking a dump. It could be all the heat has damaged the card.
                        Originally posted by Feba
                        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                        Originally posted by Taskmage
                        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                        Originally posted by DakAttack
                        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I havent tested the temp, but just touching the card gives me pain so strikingly hot i have no doubt it cant be good.

Comment

If it is that hot you really need to get some more air movement in there. You may think the room temp air is too warm to help but trust me it's better than what you currently have. I have a computer that's about 3 1/2 yrs old that is nothing special and it has one 80mm intake fan with two smaller exhaust fans. I do have air conditioning but it never gets set below 78 in the summer. The computer is upstairs and the house's thermostat is downstairs which means the room temp is never really 78.

The only drawback to the fans are noise. I have a speed switch for the intake fan that I turn way down in the winter months for some noise relief.
                            "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

are computer fans really that reliable though? when is it time to consider other means ?

Comment

They are to a point. You should consider redundency for sure. Even if the intake fan died the exhaust fans and the one inside the power supply would probably pull enough air in from every crevice to keep cooling the computer I have.

Always inspect your computer hardware. Try to do it at least once a month.

Another piece of gadgetry you can get is a digital thermometer for monitoring the internal temperature of the case. I use one that changes color when the temperature gets too high.
                                "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Working...
                                X