This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guide: Building a PC to play FFXIV

You could easily get a laptop that would run FFXIV and not have to fork out a fortune for a boutique laptop seller (like Alienware or Voodoo). But if you really wanted true HD and highest settings, you'd be better off buying a decent desktop and a couple of 22-24" LCD monitors.

Btw this is a slight tangent, but I think I remember when TGM was looking for an Alienware laptop around 2006-2007? If that was the time, then those desktop replacements were a risky product. Boutique laptop sellers like Alienware and Voodoo were shoving desktop CPU's in there, so they always had over heating issues. But since then they've really designed laptops better (however the more powerful you go, the more heat and battery consumption it'll have).

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Comment

So yeah, not been around in...idk how long? Anywho. Just thought I'd add what my benchy score was, and my rig set up, as it's not anything that would be very pricey at all anymore, and may be of some use to someone looking to build a PC without spending a ton, if they only want 'decent' performance.

Scored a 3010 on the benchmark on low res and a 28-something on high but since I lack one of those fancy HD monitors, the high res is irrelevant to me. If it's relevant to you, this may or may not still be of any use. 2800-odd isn't a great score, but it isn't terrible, either. The video in the benchmark ran very smoothly, I never noticed any slowdown or stutter. In fact I was pleasantly surprised by that. I don't consider my PC that powerful. It's decidedly 'last gen' now, in any case.

CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz
      GPU is a Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX+ from EVGA, which I believe may be slightly OC'd out of the box. I've read, at least, that EVGA tends to do that. I don't know fuck all about overclocking and couldn't tell you.
      4 Gigs of RAM
      Windows 7 Home 64 Bit (if this is at all relevant :p)

I could run Aion on all max with 30-60+ FPS (depending on zone) most times, though of course not in big Fort battles, and I run LotRO on full max getting even more than that save for 21st Hall in Moria. Not that either use the same engine, nor look half so pretty, but I've had no issues out of either. Only problems I ever really had out of Aion were due to the memory leak on 64 bit systems, and I quit playing in Dec, so I don't know if anything was ever done about it. Doubtful.

I'd planned on playing on the PS3, to be quite honest, but recent developments forced me to abort that plan. And a 3010 was much higher than I'd anticipated, to be frank. It'll at least hold me over until the PS3 release in March, and my only weak point for the heretofore released reqs is my video card. But I can handle turning things down for a half year until I can get my console version.
      "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
        Thats the first thing I looked at when I took mine out of the box, fans and ventilation. I thought it was well ventilated but I guess I was wrong
        All that heat's got to go somewhere. Using a smaller die reduces the heat your laptop will produce, being well ventilated just means your laptop is going to give off more heat rather than the hardware overheating.

Comment

Originally posted by WishMaster3K View Post
          I got girlfriend aggro, so I haven't been able to update the main thread.
          The Best Kind of Aggro
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

OH! Speaking of Benchmarks, I wanted to point out that I think the bench was running with full effects, shadows, etc and all that.

Hence; Benchmark. People with PCs rated lower can run the game without all the bells and whistles and be just fine, I think. The biggest change this game is experiencing is the move from dial-up based to Real Interwebs Speed.
            The Tao of Ren
            FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
            Originally posted by Kaeko
            As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Kafeen View Post
              All that heat's got to go somewhere. Using a smaller die reduces the heat your laptop will produce, being well ventilated just means your laptop is going to give off more heat rather than the hardware overheating.
              Yes, I know how ventilation works but if you read all my posts, the extreme heat created issues with my laptop on more than one occasion. I knew it would run hotter than my other laptops but was hoping the ventilation it had would be more than adequate. It was a word of warning to Tipsy since he's interested in a high end gaming laptop similar to mine and commented on all the vents on the laptop he's interested in. I'd rather arm someone with my experiences instead of letting them run in blind.
              Originally posted by Feba
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              Originally posted by DakAttack
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Hey, I've been looking to upgrade my PC for a while now, as it's a bit outdated (scored 2419 on low benchmark if that's relevant)

Currently Have:
                Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4 Ghz (OC'd to 2.88 Ghz)
                NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
                Windows 7 Premium 32bit
                4GB RAM DDR2

Looking to upgrade CPU definately, possibly GPU (not sure if it's completely necessary but I'll put in the money). Currently I've been trying to decide between an E8500, E8600, or Q9550... Q9550 and E8600 are priced around the same, but the E8600 has a much better clock speed, however Q9550 would have 4 cores. E8500 is just cheaper . Is it worth it to upgrade to quad core or should I stick with dual (only use PC for gaming really and as far as I know FFXIV will only utilize 1, maybe 2 cores)? I've looked at i7's and such but I'm not looking to get a super computer or anything and that would also mean paying for a new mobo.

As for GPU, I'm split between an ATI Raedon HD 5850, GTX 275, or GTX 260... but I don't know as much about GPUs as I'd like to haha

Any advice/suggestions are well appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Chicanery View Post
                  As for GPU, I'm split between an ATI Raedon HD 5850, GTX 275, or GTX 260... but I don't know as much about GPUs as I'd like to haha

Any advice/suggestions are well appreciated
                  not sure about the ATI cards, I stopped using them, but I do have teh GTX 20, and its really nice, not had a problem with it yet. Findout and see what other CPUs your motherboard can take, and if possible get a core 2 quad, they are pretty good.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                    Didn't see the 295, but the 480 is $599.99 at futureshop....

orz

This is why I hate PC gaming...
                    Future Shop (Best Buy) is a horrible place to buy anything. Your best bet is to find the small shop that has the best prices in your area.I can give you the name of a place in Calgary, but a little bit if looking should find a decent one in any major city.

Of course there are always EBay stores. EBay doesn't only have used crap.
                    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

There's a place down on St. Joseph Blvd. that has PC parts etc but idk how reliable it is.

God DAMN YOU Newegg, it's not like Canada is all that far! You're not even shipping overseas! it's across the f'ing border ffs >_<
                      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                        not sure about the ATI cards, I stopped using them, but I do have teh GTX 20, and its really nice, not had a problem with it yet. Findout and see what other CPUs your motherboard can take, and if possible get a core 2 quad, they are pretty good.
                        Well I just found out about these two sites...
                        PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End
                        PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmarks - High End Video Cards

Basically ranks all the top cpu/gpus by performance very useful
                        As for ATI I've read great things about their GPUs so far and they seem much less pricey than NVIDIAs. Thanks for the pointer on the Core 2 Quads that was what was mainly holding off my decision... the Q9550 is a core 2 quad and after looking at the benchmark site I'd say it's a great option for now, just need to see if prices drop in the next few weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                          There's a place down on St. Joseph Blvd. that has PC parts etc but idk how reliable it is.
                          If you're buying new in box and putting it together yourself, their reliability doesn't mean much, they just need to be cheaper.
                          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Guys, use Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems, PC Components, Computer Parts & Accessories, Notebooks, Netbooks, Electronics, and more.

They are pretty good. I'm probably going to go that route.

Comment

So, I kinda know a bit about PC's, but when it comes to building one from scratch, I don't have a clue.

Will these components work together?

I am planning on using my current hard drive.

I used this website --> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...lock,2659.html

But I did change a few things around.

Comment

Do you have a power supply? If your case comes with one, it'll probably be insufficient, based on the price of the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X