X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guide: Building a PC to play FFXIV

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
    Tier1 - GTX 295, GTX 480
    Didn't see the 295, but the 480 is $599.99 at futureshop....

orz

This is why I hate PC gaming...
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
      Didn't see the 295, but the 480 is $599.99 at futureshop....

orz

This is why I hate PC gaming...
      Unless you're deep into HD video conversion, working on 3D graphics or have lots of money, the 480 is a bit of an epeen item. The best bang for the buck right now is the 260 and you can get one for under $200 ...

Newegg.com - Recertified: EVGA 896-P3-1255-RX GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
      $160

Most of the GTX 260 have gone up in price due to low chip yields and many enthusiasts getting the upgrade bug (summer time is the worst to look for a new graphics card) Wait till the new school year rolls around and things should have settled down a bit and supplies will be back up again.

Like I said, if you wait a couple months, I expect the GTX 250 to become the new "sub $100" offering and the GTX 260 to be more readily available at or under the $150 mark. The GTX 275 will more than likely make appearances at the $180 unless Nvidia gets better with chip yields for the OC market and gut out the non OC versions market and push all of these cards down another 15-20%...

Comment

someone go find a way for ps3 to play pc ver please.

I can't afford to play 1000 bucks just to play this game.

At least i scored 780 with a D 3.20 ghz 4 g ram 8600 GTS.

Just need to get a new GPU! maybe i will get 1000!
        -add later-

Comment

Newegg doesn't ship outside of the U.S.
          sigpic

Comment

What can I run with a small power supply, like 380W?

I was looking at the HD 5570, then saw that the GT 240 was getting slightly higher benchmarks, then saw the GTS 250 was a bit better than that. I was thinking about getting the GTS 250 but that needs a 500W power supply.

Any recommendations or is a new graphics card going to mean a new power supply for me as well?

Comment

I was thinkin' of upgrading my laptop, I know I can get better performance from a desktop, but I don't feel like rearranging my room and putting up a computer desk.

What I've been looking at is M15x Alienware M15x Laptop Product Details | Dell

How well would this run FFXIV? Also, how much better performance would I get from 1GB dedicated graphics card than a 512MB? I was thinking of the 1GB ATI Radeon™ Mobility HD 5730 instead of the 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M?
              In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
              And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
              Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
              Yeah, It’s true.
              It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Shoot I don't even know what power supply I have for my PC...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post
                  I was thinkin' of upgrading my laptop, I know I can get better performance from a desktop, but I don't feel like rearranging my room and putting up a computer desk.

What I've been looking at is M15x Alienware M15x Laptop Product Details | Dell

How well would this run FFXIV? Also, how much better performance would I get from 1GB dedicated graphics card than a 512MB? I was thinking of the 1GB ATI Radeon™ Mobility HD 5730 instead of the 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M?
                  FYI, I recently bought a top of the line Alienware laptop that was nearly $5000. I took out the extended warranty for 3 years and everything. Finally I had my gaming laptop! Oh she ran FFXI smoother and prettier than my desktop did...I loved her so! First off, it ran HOT AS SHIT so make sure you have something thick to set on your lap before putting it there. I received a pretty severe 2nd degree burn from mine when I was sick, took some meds, and passed out, with it setting on my lap running. Another thing, it was heavy as hell. Mine was definitely not a laptop for carrying around so if you are thinking of dual purposing it for use at school...don't bother. And after about 3 years, don't expect Alienware to help you out with any hardware issues. After my 3 year warranty ran out something on my laptop went. Between my son and I, we figured out it was probably the motherboard. Now I may build desktops just fine but I am not touching a laptop...and my son feels the same way. So we call up Alienware and figure we'll bite the bullet and pay the price but guess what!? "We don't carry those parts anymore." So I get into a discussion with this rep and find out that they clear out old tech every 3 - 4 years. So repairs after a certain time are impossible through them. Thanks for the $5000 paperweight. Personally, I think it was the heat issue that did my girl in.

Also we had previous issues with this laptop when the extended warranty was in effect. The graphics card went and had to be replaced. Of course they didn't have the same card in stock so they put in a different one. There was also another issue it was sent in for concerning the DVD RW drive. They replaced it but it happened again and I still had my desktop for burning so I didn't feel like going through the hassle again. So, all in all, I bought a top of the line laptop that I had nothing but issues with. I loved the laptop to pieces but I'll never buy another one from them. I also had wonderful customer service with them, it wasn't the reps fault that they didn't carry the part anymore. So you decide but personally you can buy a laptop from somewhere else cheaper that can do the same shit....and maybe not have issues with. /em shrugs
                  Originally posted by Feba
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  Originally posted by DakAttack
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I think you've inspired me to upgrade to the 3 year (or 4 if available) plan. Looking at the M15x, it seems to have plenty of ventilation (around 6-8 vents) so there's to hoping the heating problem was resolved. I was looking at other laptops, but aesthetics are a big thing for me, and Alienware is unmatched.

Unless anyone knows of a few other brands that are similar?
                    In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
                    And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
                    Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
                    Yeah, It’s true.
                    It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

lol Laptop gaming /sigh
                      sigpic

Comment

instead of you guys discussion about parts and such can we start another thread that actually just post up "deals".

While i am one man army, i would like to see what type of deals goes around in us or canada so i can get a cheap pre-built pc for ffxiv.

I can't afford these crazy pc that goes 1k+ my job doesn't even pay out 1k to begin with and i am a university HBsc just 3 years ago. Damn this recession.
                        -add later-

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post
                          I think you've inspired me to upgrade to the 3 year (or 4 if available) plan. Looking at the M15x, it seems to have plenty of ventilation (around 6-8 vents) so there's to hoping the heating problem was resolved. I was looking at other laptops, but aesthetics are a big thing for me, and Alienware is unmatched.

Unless anyone knows of a few other brands that are similar?
                          lol Thats the first thing I looked at when I took mine out of the box, fans and ventilation. I thought it was well ventilated but I guess I was wrong. I would put the top of an oak tv tray table on my lap and then set it on that just to make sure that I wasn't stopping up the ventilation too after I burned myself. But I think the 3+ hour sessions of FFXI on a regular basis were just too much. I can understand wanting to buy an Alienware for the looks because I loved the look of mine too but at the expense of my pocketbook just for looks? Never again. It was like throwing money out the window. My advice to you is to get over it and buy another brand and save yourself the headaches and some money.
                          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

For the amount you'll pay for a gaming Laptop, you can get a Gaming PC that is easily 2-3 times more powerful.

The initial build of my rig (including Monitor) came to $1300. There is no way I could get a laptop as powerful as my rig for the same price.

Food for thought, I suppose. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! I got girlfriend aggro, so I haven't been able to update the main thread. Between the GPU research/comparison I've seen posted and the base stats SE posted for the Beta, there is a lot I need to modify on my OP.

Thanks, all!
                            The Tao of Ren
                            FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                            Originally posted by Kaeko
                            As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Why would you play MMORPg on laptop anyway. Laptop can't really stand full power for more then 3 hours a day.

My laptop can play both wow and ffxi well. I keep it going and eventually it is boinked. It is a Toshiba and it was consider state of the art back when i brought it (well can't compare to Alienware)
                              -add later-

Comment

Yes a desktop pc would be incredible at the price point he is going to pay for an Alienware. I would absolutely go that route too if I was shopping around. I was talking with my son about this thread and he said "Well tell him for the price of a top of the line Alienware, I can build him a damn nice PC that will run FFXIV great and then some, fly to where he lives, buy him a desk, set it up in his room, set up his PC, fly back home, AND still have money left over." We had a good chuckle.

Comment

Working...
                                X