X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Guide: Building a PC to play FFXIV

Originally posted by KeechwaTembo View Post
    Keep in mind, I'm also using a 30"- 720p tv, not a monitor. That's less demanding graphically, so how will it run on lower settings?
    720p? That's 1280 x 720 resolution.

Across 30"... I can't say it'll look "good", but i'll connect my PC to my 32" TV (HDMI FTW!!!!) and I'll let you know how it turns out.
    The Tao of Ren
    FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
    Originally posted by Kaeko
    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by KeechwaTembo View Post
      Keep in mind, I'm also using a 30"- 720p tv, not a monitor. That's less demanding graphically, so how will it run on lower settings?
      It will run on 1280 x 720 just fine but need to adjust settings to about normal for textures and either normal or lower for shadows. You may see dramatic improvements turning off a few things like physics effect and dust clouds (which includes grass clippings, water splashes, etc)

Please note that the 5750 and 5770 at times seems to have similar prices. Also do note price differences within 5770 models ... it ranges from $119 and up to $189. You need to research carefully as to why. Cheaper ones either are identical to reference specs from ATI OR are actually underclocked (binned 5700 chips that suck so bad that they may as well be 5500s) They could also differ from cooling solutions, power consumption and even warranty coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by abknight View Post
        You recommended a case that would cause overheating and a hard drive nearly half as fast and more expensive than other well-known models. Just throwing that out there, bro. gg.
        I have the case, I can talk, you can't. It doesn't overheat. the card runs at 60c under full load. the proc doesn't even hit 40 with stock cooler under full load.

You sound like a fool for talking shit about something you have no experience with. Not all microatx builds are equal.

And as for the HDD. who gives a flying fuck. really? so what if his load time is .1 ms faster. His power consumption will be lower and it will run cooler.

gg

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
        I'm sorry, but I agree with TGM and she is right on the money with this one and OMG the rest of you, have you forgotten about FFXI Beta > Retail? (Unless you weren't there for that, then you're excused)

Beta fine > Retail my video card was not even good enough to load the damn character creation screen. I had to dump my 7500 for a 9600 PRO (Radeons) at that time. No, I'm never making that same mistake twice and upgraded to my current card. And 5770 is old technology based on the older 4770 (Or was it the 4850?) with the same 128-bit memory. That's a 3 year old technology ... not good enough.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

If you were concerned about the welfare of their budget, then you would've recommended a 4870 instead. If you don't care about playing DX11 games (all indications seem to support the idea that NO developer is going to put out a major DX11 based title in the next 2-3 years anyway) then the 4870 is better than the 5770. 256 bit memory, $99 and does better than a 5830 in some tests.
        What? And get something that will be completely dead within the next year? We do hafta think towards the future somewhat.. lmao.

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

It will run on 1280 x 720 just fine but need to adjust settings to about normal for textures and either normal or lower for shadows. You may see dramatic improvements turning off a few things like physics effect and dust clouds (which includes grass clippings, water splashes, etc)

Please note that the 5750 and 5770 at times seems to have similar prices. Also do note price differences within 5770 models ... it ranges from $119 and up to $189. You need to research carefully as to why. Cheaper ones either are identical to reference specs from ATI OR are actually underclocked (binned 5700 chips that suck so bad that they may as well be 5500s) They could also differ from cooling solutions, power consumption and even warranty coverage.
        BS.. I run everything on high at 1920x1080.
        Buffer at resolution, and all graphics set to high with MSAAx2 and it runs gorgeous. I'm sure 1280/720 can run everything high with the same specs and get more fps than I do. derp.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Originally posted by WishMaster3K View Post
        Agreed. Look for a 16/8 if anything, because a 5770 is good but will become dated soon. AMD cards scale well when run in parallel, and unlike sli, you don't need exactly the same card (or something like that. I forget exactly what the requirements of SLI are). I fully support getting a 16/8 board. You could also do 16/16, but its been benched to show only a minuscule difference.

Wow.. all this coming from a guy that thinks a 16x / 8x crossfire is worth a shit. Just to let you know Wishmaster, a 16x / 8x Crossfire will yield 8x / 8x in xfire mode. Learn some shit before you talk it.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

I'm sorry, but I agree with TGM and she is right on the money with this one and OMG the rest of you, have you forgotten about FFXI Beta > Retail? (Unless you weren't there for that, then you're excused)

Beta fine > Retail my video card was not even good enough to load the damn character creation screen. I had to dump my 7500 for a 9600 PRO (Radeons) at that time. No, I'm never making that same mistake twice and upgraded to my current card. And 5770 is old technology based on the older 4770 (Or was it the 4850?) with the same 128-bit memory. That's a 3 year old technology ... not good enough.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

If you were concerned about the welfare of their budget, then you would've recommended a 4870 instead. If you don't care about playing DX11 games (all indications seem to support the idea that NO developer is going to put out a major DX11 based title in the next 2-3 years anyway) then the 4870 is better than the 5770. 256 bit memory, $99 and does better than a 5830 in some tests.
        And are you kidding me? 4870 is still expensive. It's also 1-2 years old. and is a fat fucking power whore. Also runs hotter than your mother.

Comment

Originally posted by Melkiah View Post
          I have the case, I can talk, you can't. It doesn't overheat. the card runs at 60c under full load. the proc doesn't even hit 40 with stock cooler under full load.

You sound like a fool for talking shit about something you have no experience with. Not all microatx builds are equal.

And as for the HDD. who gives a flying fuck. really? so what if his load time is .1 ms faster. His power consumption will be lower and it will run cooler.

gg

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

What? And get something that will be completely dead within the next year? We do hafta think towards the future somewhat.. lmao.

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

BS.. I run everything on high at 1920x1080.
          Buffer at resolution, and all graphics set to high with MSAAx2 and it runs gorgeous. I'm sure 1280/720 can run everything high with the same specs and get more fps than I do. derp.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Wow.. all this coming from a guy that thinks a 16x / 8x crossfire is worth a shit. Just to let you know Wishmaster, a 16x / 8x Crossfire will yield 8x / 8x in xfire mode. Learn some shit before you talk it.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

And are you kidding me? 4870 is still expensive. It's also 1-2 years old. and is a fat fucking power whore. Also runs hotter than your mother.
          Melkiah, you might be able to be a flaming troll on other forums but you aren't going to do that here. Stop with the name calling and flaming or find another forum to do it on.
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Honestly you should not be giving advice on computer building. That max temp is high, even though I'm 100% positive that you are flat out lying. The case i proposed is CHEAPER than your heat trap and does a great job of cooling. Your case has NO INTAKE FANS and two small exhaust fans. I don't need to shoot myself in the face to know that the bullet is probably going to kill me. The HDD is a serious issue... we're talking multiple milliseconds with something that slow, and even milliseconds add up. The case and HDD you have are utter trash and overpriced. I don't understand what your deal is... you are complaining about people keeping the computer under budget, but you insist on supporting parts that are more expensive and of lesser quality than other proposed parts. I thought about asking you to explain, but I'm going to assume we're just being trolled at this point... trolled by another early high school kid... it's like the story of my life.

TLDR: your temps are bogus, your game performance reporting is bogus, your component advice is bogus... your attitude straight up sucks and you don't know a damn thing about computers, based on what you've typed here. I really hope you get banned ASAP so that no one who visits this forum skims one of your posts and buys into your bullshit.
            Gatts - PLD75/WAR37

Comment

Honestly you should not be giving advice on computer building. That max temp is high, even though I'm 100% positive that you are flat out lying. The case i proposed is CHEAPER than your heat trap and does a great job of cooling. Your case has NO INTAKE FANS and two small exhaust fans. I don't need to shoot myself in the face to know that the bullet is probably going to kill me. The HDD is a serious issue... we're talking multiple milliseconds with something that slow, and even milliseconds add up. The case and HDD you have are utter trash and overpriced. I don't understand what your deal is... you are complaining about people keeping the computer under budget, but you insist on supporting parts that are more expensive and of lesser quality than other proposed parts. I thought about asking you to explain, but I'm going to assume we're just being trolled at this point... trolled by another early high school kid... it's like the story of my life.

TLDR: your temps are bogus, your game performance reporting is bogus, your component advice is bogus... your attitude straight up sucks and you don't know a damn thing about computers, based on what you've typed here. I really hope you get banned ASAP so that no one who visits this forum skims one of your posts and buys into your bullshit.
              LOL dude you are hilarious. Because I didn't buy it and build it. I'm dead ass serious about all my performance posts. My temps are also not bogus, do I need to speedfan Screenshot for you to prove it to you? Also, It's 1 intake 1 exhaust, and who gives a shit? You can always flip a fan around. The HDD is not trash, its a 7200 rpm 332mb cache hdd like any other disk, but because it's green, you'll sit here and call it trash. As far as trolling? I'm correcting people on stupid mistakes so that when people skim over their posts, they won't think that running crossfire on a 16x slot and an 8x slot will yield anything better than running one card. As far as all your other insults, it seems that you are just *looking* for a fight. but I got the warning and you won't because you can whiteknight this thread like you are doing some justice. I built the box, I know how it runs. Do you need a damn newegg receipt for proof? The case you recommended also has no PSU. Another fistful of cash waiting to be wasted. as far as Multiple Milliseconds? You have got to be shitting me. Need I remind you that a millisecond is 1/1000 of a second. They add up alright. Good god, you sound like a 13 year old in need of some parents.

Comment

Running dual GTX 460s now, though it didn't reflect that at the end of the Benchmark.

Big Ass Pic that needs spoiler tags

This is the high res test.
                Last edited by TheGrandMom; 09-14-2010, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I just returned from a run and found this waiting for me on AIM:

This user is not on your Buddy ListView Lifestream | Add to list | Block
                  Is this IM unwanted, threatening, or inappropriate?Report this user
                  MelkiahFox is available 11:03 pm
                  MelkiahFox 10:32 pm
                  Wow
                  Your a fucking idiot.
                  lol
                  60c is not a high max temp for a vid card.
                  maybe for a cpu
                  fans can be flipped
                  the case comes with a PSU
                  yours doesn't.
                  Not a heat trap because I'm sitting right next to the same fucking build I reccomended.
                  But we'll take your advice.
                  I'm probably the only one that has given the person seeking advice more than 10 minues.
                  You are also posting in the same forum of people that agree that 16x / 8x is the next best thing since sliced bread.
                  So by default, what you have to say doesn't mean shit till you prove it.
                  Anyways, I'm done talking to a dumb ass. Got better things to do.
                  Toodalei

--end--

Was that really necessary? I'm 13?

I never said you didn't build that computer; I said that it was a POS. The RPM and cache of a HDD, alone, are not indicative of its performance. It will bottleneck the performance of the whole machine. See how long that combo PSU lasts and how stable it is. You spent about 5% of your time here posting bad ideas and then 95% talking trash. You're psychotic for harassing me on AIM.

Thanks for the math lesson.
                  Gatts - PLD75/WAR37

Comment

Originally posted by Melkiah View Post
                    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Asus-PCI-Express-EAH4870-2DI-1GD5/dp/B003XQFXBE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282880362&sr=8-5]Amazon.com: Asus ATI Radeon HD4870 1 GB DDR5 2DVI PCI-Express Video Card EAH4870/2DI/1GD5: Electronics[/ame]

Went up $5 since I last saw it, but after rebate it's still only $105. And you're trolling quite heavily here, do you have self esteem problems?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Aeni; 09-14-2010, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Wow
                      Your a fucking idiot.
                      lol
                      maybe for a cpu
                      fans can be flipped
                      yours doesn't.
                      Not a heat trap because I'm sitting right next to the same fucking build I reccomended.
                      I'm probably the only one that has given the person seeking advice more than 10 minues.
                      You are also posting in the same forum of people that agree that 16x / 8x is the next best thing since sliced bread.
                      Toodalei

--end--

I never said you didn't build that computer; I said that it was a POS. The RPM and cache of a HDD, alone, are not indicative of its performance. It will bottleneck the performance of the whole machine. See how long that combo PSU lasts and how stable it is. You spent about 5% of your time here posting bad ideas and then 95% talking trash. You're psychotic for harassing me on AIM.

Yea, the PSU can get you up and running until you can afford a better PSU. Low blow to go posting your AIM messages. Machine isn't bottlenecking on the HDD. my roommate has a regular hdd and I still load faster than her. but k :p I've got the parts, and you don't. I don't see a bottleneck.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Amazon.com: Asus ATI Radeon HD4870 1 GB DDR5 2DVI PCI-Express Video Card EAH4870/2DI/1GD5: Electronics

Went up $5 since I last saw it, but after rebate it's still only $105. And you're trolling quite heavily here, do you have self esteem problems?
                      I wouldn't really call it trolling.. but ok :p Kinda expensive for something that's been out for what.. 1 1/2 to 2 years now?

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Wow
                      Your a fucking idiot.
                      lol
                      maybe for a cpu
                      fans can be flipped
                      yours doesn't.
                      Toodalei

--end--

Btw, it's not a combo PSU.

Comment

Well there is plenty of advice in this thread for people to read and decide for themselves. There is no reason for this to go on and if there is, take it to PM's. So:

Thread Closed, and I'd advise everyone to cool off before posting in a hot topic next time. There is no need to stoop to name calling no matter how veiled you make it.
                        Originally posted by Feba
                        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                        Originally posted by Taskmage
                        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                        Originally posted by DakAttack
                        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Working...
                        X