X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guide: Building a PC to play FFXIV

Originally posted by Feba View Post
    Do you have a power supply? If your case comes with one, it'll probably be insufficient, based on the price of the case.
    Good catch.

Speaking of power supplies, I've been looking at OCZ. Does anyone have experience with their PSUs? Newegg and Amazon are selling OCZ ModXStream 600W for $60 and $55, respectively (after rebates, not including tax).
    Character: Bricklayer
    Server: Ramuh
    31 RDM/ 23 BLM/ 20 WHM

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
      Do you have a power supply? If your case comes with one, it'll probably be insufficient, based on the price of the case.
      Knew I forgot something.

Either way, any problem with that build?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyprius View Post
        Knew I forgot something.

Nothing apparent.

Not sure if you read Tomshardware.com's "Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: June 2010," but the two fully-recommended CPUs bracketing your $130 price point are the Athlon II X3 440 (~$75) and the Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (~$160). The former is being replaced by a newer model, so stocks may run out. The latter is quite a bit above your original $130 mark. I personally am hoping that the i5-750 comes down in price by September.

Other than that, I've heard good things about Sony Optiarc DVD drives. Price should be similar to the Samsung ($19.99 on Newegg).

I've been using ADATA memory for 3-4 years, and had no failures, but I can't give advice for or against their current-gen manufacturing. Someone online suggested Patriot Viper II Sector 5 (~$110, 4GB (2GBx2)), which is supposed to be capable of 6-6-6-20.

Anyway, these are mostly minor details.
        Character: Bricklayer
        Server: Ramuh
        31 RDM/ 23 BLM/ 20 WHM

Comment

Originally posted by Cyprius View Post
          Not that I can see from the cart, but there can be other little things, and I can't be arsed to search the products up.

Oh, you'll need an OS, unless you intend to pirate something. I'd go with XP (any disks you buy should be SP3, but if not, be sure to update) for not using as much of the system resources, but Vista/7 probably have benefits. If you intend to use it for other games, pretty sure you have to have at least Vista for DX10; that's not an issue with FF14.

Comment

For all the European players out there who are looking at a new PC it would be worth stopping over at Overclockers UK. They do a range of pre-made bundles if you aren't confident about making your own PC Systems & Bundles - Overclockers UK. You won't find the cheapest PCs there as their "Pro Gamer" start around £1,000 all the way up to £3,500 but if you are on a budget they do have a "Titan Gamer" that starts at a much more modest £500 for AMD models.

If you want to make your own PC you can buy pretty much everything you need in one place, I made my current PC (minus pumps and tubing) from there, delivery is good, customer responces about questions I had was fast and accurate too. I will probably buy the components for my new FFXIV PC from their as well.
            - Never Underestimate The Power Of A Duck!
            Dux Dux, Lallafel, Odin
            My Profile On Lodestone

Comment

I wonder what kind of score you'd get with one (or two) of these.

Comment

Newegg.com also does bundles, but not sure how good they are considering you can just build your own rig yourself. Also, be sure to check out how powerful the PSU needs to be for your GPU, and if it has enough 12v rails and the right power connectors

My original 5870 needed two 6 Pin, but the R5870 needs two 8 pins (1 8 pin is mandatory, and the second 8 pin can be utilized with a 6 pin to 8 pin converter that comes with the GPU).
                The Tao of Ren
                FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                Originally posted by Kaeko
                As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Kafeen View Post
                  I wonder what kind of score you'd get with one (or two) of these.
                  1238, but that doesn't make them any less smexy.

Comment

yeah the benchmark acts really odd, I have seen systems stronger then mine get 900 or so, been telling people to not really take the benchmark to heart.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Hi there everybody.

I've been searching around for a conversation about rigs that would be theorized to run FFXIV fairly well and I just wanted everyone's opinion about my current rig setup. My rig was custom built at CyberPower in the middle of 2009. Suggestions for better hardware or not would be appreciated.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHZ
                      Windows XP SP3 Home Edition
                      Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 2048.0MB RAM
                      SoundBlaster X-FI Audio Card
                      3.25 GB RAM

I think that covers the essentials. Do you guys think this will run XIV decent enough?

FFXIV Benchmark Score: 4612
                      Last edited by kryon256; 07-06-2010, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kryon256 View Post
                        Hi there everybody.

I've been searching around for a conversation about rigs that would be theorized to run FFXIV fairly well and I just wanted everyone's opinion about my current rig setup. My rig was custom built at CyberPower in the middle of 2009. Suggestions for better hardware or not would be appreciated.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHZ
                        Windows XP SP3 Home Edition
                        Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 2048.0MB RAM
                        SoundBlaster X-FI Audio Card
                        3.25 GB RAM

I think that covers the essentials. Do you guys think this will run XIV decent enough?

FFXIV Benchmark Score: 4612
                        You'll be fine. You might even be able to dual screen it up so you can run all those juicy 3rd party apps.
                        The Tao of Ren
                        FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                        Originally posted by Kaeko
                        As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post
                          I was thinkin' of upgrading my laptop, I know I can get better performance from a desktop, but I don't feel like rearranging my room and putting up a computer desk.

What I've been looking at is M15x Alienware M15x Laptop Product Details | Dell

How well would this run FFXIV? Also, how much better performance would I get from 1GB dedicated graphics card than a 512MB? I was thinking of the 1GB ATI Radeon™ Mobility HD 5730 instead of the 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M?
                          I just bought one, about a few weeks ago. I did the benchmark...got terrible scores. With i7 and Geforce 240M.

When i looked at the gauges for process/ram useage and the Intel core Proc speed, the higher end Benchmark pulled less from my resource than the Low end Benchmark did. weird I know.

But it's the video card that's not pulling it's weight from what I've been reading. So i'm at a lost as to what to do with FFXIV on the PC. I'll just use my PS3.

Comment

The best advice I can give, if you do not travel much, do not buy a laptop for gaming. It just isn't worth it. For the price of a good laptop you can get a good desktop, a ps3 and an xbox360.
                            "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Hey guys, first post and first time ever building a PC. I'd like to know if all this is compatible and which of the two cases you would recommend and any other opinions you might have, thanks.

PC Components

Is it too early/expensive to get a hexacore?
                              Last edited by TheGrandMom; 07-06-2010, 11:02 AM. Reason: Big ass pics need spoiler tags OR resizing

Comment

hey, what's the best cooling system for a gfx card? seriously i got an ATI Radeon x1950, it has its own fan but its always overheating and ends up crashing unless i use an external fan (one you'd use for yourself...) directly into the computer

it's usually really hot where i live, the weather is humid and even on cold days my house is pretty warm so i was wondering what are good inexpensive solutions to this problem...?
                                signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Working...
                                X