New RDM... what is going on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RDM... what is going on?

This is a rant, I'm probably going to offend some of you, but at this point if one person learns from this post I'll be happy.

So I've recently un-retired my SAM, and I've had to party with some -disgusting- RDM. I'm talking about ones that don't haste, don't cure, don't dispel, and the icing on the cake, I pted with one who converted next to a pool full of Jnun, which summarily caused a full PT wipe.

Seriously, are you new RDM absolutley retarted? Half the time I have to beg for a dispel on mobs... since when does a SAM have to ask for a person to do one of their job defining tasks? Do people really not give a damn about their job anymore and would rather spend hours getting 3-4k when they could be getting 8-9?

Before anyone goes off and says "RDM is so busy blah blah" I've played BRD to 75, I know how busy it can get. And definatley in merit PT when you are sleeping 3-4 mobs at a time.

And I'll definatley say that on a whole, the NA RDM that I've pted with are so much worse than JP RDM. Just as an example, I made a PT this morning with a setup of SAM SAM RDM NIN WHM and made 10-12k an hour in Caedarva. Go back with the same jobs but NA players, can barely break 6-7k an hour.

Seriously, I spend my time and focus all my energy to make myself the best PT member I can be, but at this point if I see shitty performance from the RDM that I've seen lately, you can bet your ass I'm buying Yagudo drink and telling people to get Sanction refresh.
    | PLD 75 | NIN 75 | SAM 72 | BRD 75 | RNG 48 | BLM 40 | WHM 37 |
    Leader of the Templars of Baldur

Re: New RDM... what is going on?

I guess this is a growing trend.

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gen....attitude.html

Apparently, majority of the players are XBox players with little to no experience with MMOs. A few XBox players are players that migrated from the PC and/or PS2 platform, obviously to have their hands on a new console and see some graphical updates to their experience.

A large number of the XBox players played in Beta. But still, there's quite a strong number of players who are brand new to the game and MMOs in general. This is where there's a lot of problems (I'm speaking not just of NA players, but EU and JP XBox players as well who've never played FFXI before)

It might just be that you can offer to help them do their jobs. Maybe offer advice or pointers and steer them in the right direction. Don't ever assume that just because these players are level 50 means that they should know what is going on. There's a difference between a MUD/MMO veteran playing FFXI for the very first time and at level 50 on a job and someone who's so fresh to the whole idea of MMO in general stumbling his/her way to 50.

Comment

I dont think it's due to the xbox players. He's talking lvl 70-75 ish meriting in aht urghan areas. I doubt any of those new xbox players are that far by now if they truely did start from nothing. I blame it on just bad players. Although that does seem a bit rare especially at lvl 75.

Comment

Aeni, these people are level 70 in merit areas. They've had to have beaten Maat.

Honestly, I'm the kind of person who is willing to help people if they put forth effort. But if I was the kind of player that these people are on my NIN, I'd never get invited to PT.

Being new to game is one thing, if it was the dunes I wouldn't care. But this is 70-75. If you don't know your job by then, what the hell have you been doing the last 70 levels?

Comment

Originally posted by Credos
          Being new to game is one thing, if it was the dunes I wouldn't care. But this is 70-75. If you don't know your job by then, what the hell have you been doing the last 70 levels?
          Coasting along because people are willing to put up with the worst player on the planet just because he has Refresh in his spell list.

Besides not all of us non-75 Red Mages suck.

One thing to note though: You know those GOOD Red Mages? The ones you'd be making 8-12K+/hr with? They're the ones making 8-12K/hour and getting to 75 and getting out of the XP invite pool. Think about it.

Icemage

Comment

Aeni, these people are level 70 in merit areas. They've had to have beaten Maat.

Honestly, I'm the kind of person who is willing to help people if they put forth effort. But if I was the kind of player that these people are on my NIN, I'd never get invited to PT.

There's two kinds of players.

Those that can play this game.
            Those that can't play this game.

Here's stereotyping at work and sexism at its best along with age discrimination at its finest.

Older players just don't get it.
            Female players generally suck at multi-tasking.
            Players with horrible skills should best stick with their Monk main.

Yes, let the flame begins and don't forget the stones at your feet either.

*dons fire retardant suit and hides behind a police riot shield*

Comment

Lovley post Aeni >.>, first off i never played any MMO's before and i consider myself a competent player and i think playing ffxi to lvl 70 is experience enough to become a good player at this game.
              I play monk as my main job i love it, it may not be technical but you can still do thoes small things to better your gameplay. I also have NIN at lvl 52, SAM at lvl 50, whm at 37 ect ect.
              I am good at all the jobs i play i have monk main now please no more of this monk bashing.
              As for JP partys being better than EN it seems very true at the moment at lower levels with the X-box players about, but higher up things seem to even out, in cadevra pts ive had most players are good but i have had a few bad EN players and ive even had JP's leave pt before they have been playing for an hour with no warning whatsoever.

Comment

Well as to the Dispel aspect, perhaps some of those players had never leveled in the Mire before, and was unfamiliar which TP moves the mob uses to buff itself? Granted, after it does it a few times any good RDM should be able to pick it up, but I'm offering that as a potential explanation.

I would also like to point out that I don't always get asked to Haste people in the parties if there's a WHM - sometimes I'm even told not to, so you shouldn't lay all the blame on the RDM if you're not getting Haste.

Of course I'm not saying your complaints aren't justified or you aren't coming across crappy players, but those are a few things that stood out to me that I thought I'd point out.
                sigpic
                ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni
                  There's two kinds of players.

Those that can play this game.
                  Those that can't play this game.

Here's stereotyping at work and sexism at its best along with age discrimination at its finest.

Older players just don't get it.
                  Female players generally suck at multi-tasking.
                  Players with horrible skills should best stick with their Monk main.

Yes, let the flame begins and don't forget the stones at your feet either.

*dons fire retardant suit and hides behind a police riot shield*
                  You forgot to dump all your problems on XBox players again, that seems to be getting more popular.

on a whole, the NA RDM that I've pted with are so much worse than JP RDM
                  I hate to break it to you but there is nothing about being Japanese that makes you a better player. You had experiences with some bad RDM's and some good ones, where they came from was a coincidence not a cause.
                  I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Seriously, are you new RDM absolutley retarted? Half the time I have to beg for a dispel on mobs... since when does a SAM have to ask for a person to do one of their job defining tasks? Do people really not give a damn about their job anymore and would rather spend hours getting 3-4k when they could be getting 8-9?
                    Seriously, I spend my time and focus all my energy to make myself the best PT member I can be, but at this point if I see shitty performance from the RDM that I've seen lately, you can bet your ass I'm buying Yagudo drink and telling people to get Sanction refresh.

One little detail though, I seriously doubt the RDMs you wanna talk to come to sites like this one, if they did they wouldn't be so bad.
                    sigpic
                    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

To Aksyanni: The imps had blaze spikes on.. I can't think of anything more obvious than 3 people repeatedly hitting a mob and it showing up as a wall of fire. I literally had to shout for dispel. When I play BRD I pay attention to the chat log (I thought this is what all mages did), so I don't see why he or she couldn't see the damage taken.

To Mhurron: Thank you for that wonderful pearl of wisdom, but Japanese players have typically been playing the game longer than others, so yes in a way they are better, because they are more experienced. I am not a japanophile in the slightest, it was an observation. Simple fact of the matter is that for the last few days, the NA RDM I've been pting with have sucked, and the JP RDM have been good. You don't need to break anything to me, I've been around probably as long if not longer than you have.

Double Post Edited:
                      Oh and Aksyanni, the haste wasn't even that big of an issue, I'm used to not getting it.. provided that the RDM dispels and refreshes and actually brings something to the table, you know?
                      Last edited by Credos; 07-05-2006, 07:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I really doubt at this point that the difference in skill between an JP rdm that's been playing for four years and the NA rdm that's been playing for three is noticable. There is nothing about being Japanese that makes you a better player. There are some bad RDM's and some good ones, where they come from is a coincidence not a cause.
                        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage
                          I really doubt at this point that the difference in skill between an JP rdm that's been playing for four years and the NA rdm that's been playing for three is noticable. There is nothing about being Japanese that makes you a better player. There are some bad RDM's and some good ones, where they come from is a coincidence not a cause.
                          Do you people even read? I am not saying that a JP player is better than an NA player just because he is JP.... it was an -observation-.

Comment

As Icemage said, most really great players (JP or NA or EU or otherwise) are already 75 several times over. Sure, many of them are leveling other jobs, and so we're going to occasionally get lucky enough to run into one of them.

But a couple of points.

1.) Just becuase you've partied with some excellent JP, doesn't mean that all JP are automatically excellent and/or better players than any other nationality.

2.) Just because you've partied with some crappy NA, doesn't mean that all NA are automatically crappy and/or worse players than any other nationality.

3.) Just because you've partied with some excellent/crappy EU, doesn't mean that all EU are automatically excellent/crappy and/or better/worse than any other nationality.

There are bad players, and there are good players. The age, race, gender, nationality, orientation, likes/dislikes, etc. of an individual player should not be taken as indicative of the skills or abilities of others like or unlike them.

I mean, come on, people.

Comment

I read this: "Japanese players have typically been playing the game longer than others, so yes in a way they are better, because they are more experienced." I'm saying that's not true anymore. The difference in experience between the core NA players and JP players is negligable now. In the beginning when almost all NAs had only been around a few months and JPs had been playing over a year, that statement may have been valid, but at this point citing more experience in one set of players over the other is moot.
                              lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Working...
                              X