Abyssea Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abyssea Experiences

I haven't yet ventured down from WHM-world to try opening chests in Abyssea (since we have a dedicated chest guy). Are they similar to the logic-puzzle style of the chests in the "regular" conquest areas, or are they different?

Hearing that someone went from 31-70 is making me drool. I'd love to get some jobs leveled in a hurry.

Comment

I concede Perle's a bit less appealing for SAMs since they have easy access to 3% haste feet making this a 2% haste loss instead of 1%.

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
      I'll amend my original remarks though; The set is nothing special for anyone with really good gear (in my case it's trash) but yeah for new people who don't even have sky or CoP done yes I can see this being a very nice, cheap set for some haste & accuracy. But there is much better gear available with even more on the way (which is why I'm not bothering to get a YYR; I'm sure something even nicer will be out soon, may even be AF3 Body)
      Closer, but still not there. I have haidate, I have Rajas, I have Brutal. I also have Aurum and such. I wouldn't call myself a "starting player". Just a player lacking Salvage and VNM gear (and Ein, so I'm missing out on chances for an Adaberk).

So this is what it comes down to: you need nocturnus (max Wings rank? lol I'm at the very bottom) or adaman hauberk in order to make Perle unappealing. If you can agree to that, I think we have a pretty good compromise of opinion, here.
      "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Here's my latest Abyssea experience. Some shithead cost me the last Raskovnik pop for the night. We were all getting ready to fight it when he insists on us fighting some dumbass Clionid or whatever for some key item or something.

When we fight it, another party comes over and grabs the NM. I'm so fucking pissed off right now. I'm the only person in our linkshell now that hasn't gotten a drop I wanted.
        sigpic

Comment

Max Wings rank won't get you nocturnus; your server also has to take over northlands, something you can't do by yourself and that may or may not ever happen again on some/most servers now that multiple alliances full of people are in Abyssea all the time.

Also: if you want to get any time extends at all you need to build pearl and azure lights in the first 90 min and not mess around with NMs. This isn't super hard necessarily but it's not something you can do just screwing around either.

The one thing I don't like about abyssea so far is that when it works well for exp, it's even longer than original Dynamis. I thought SE were moving towards shorter events but I can hardly even attempt abyssea during the week because I have to get some sleep and then get back to work for the next day and don't really have time to run a 4+ hour event unless there were one starting the precise moment I got home from work. I kinda wish they hadn't included time extends but just made lights build faster so you could get good exp/cruor inside 90 min instead, but as it is, 90 min won't get you 10% of what you'll get in a 4-5 hour abyssea run because of the way lights get stronger over time. (The most I've seen is about 450/kill, but I've heard of 600+. And if you're in there that long, you must be on top tier azure, so you're getting 1250 exp and 1000 cruor chests fairly often too.)
          Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
          RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
          All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya View Post
            Max Wings rank won't get you nocturnus; your server also has to take over northlands, something you can't do by yourself and that may or may not ever happen again on some/most servers now that multiple alliances full of people are in Abyssea all the time.
            It doesn't look like anyone cares about the Northlands anymore on Fenrir which is very frustrating. Equally though, I'm rapidly losing interest in Campaign myself as I've earned and lost and re-earned my max rank in the last month due to the massive surge of people in the standard zones. I'm lucky if I get 1k exp for a standard campaign battle with a max of around 1.8k now it seems, dramatically reduced from the previous 4-5k I was seeing. Now I'm faced with having to spend three to four times as long in Campaign earning shitty exp while random assholes are pulling mobs halfway across the zone in order to break 2k themselves.

The one thing I don't like about abyssea so far is that when it works well for exp, it's even longer than original Dynamis. I thought SE were moving towards shorter events but I can hardly even attempt abyssea during the week...
            The occasions where I've earned up to 600exp per kill I've literally spent 5-6 hours in the zone and like you say I don't want to be doing this all that often. S-E keep giving signs they're learning from their mistakes then they go and pull stupid shit like this. The 2mil drink only hints at some ridiculous event on the horizon that requires a solid month of farming cruor in order to achieve a chance at success as well.

Comment

What karyina said, I would love to be able to exp for 2-3 hours and then do our nightly event, but around the 2 hr mark is when it starts to get good. with 18 jobs to level to 80 i'm in for some weekend grinds that's for sure, i'm just glad that it's as easy and as powerful a way to level and merit....now if only they had nomad moogles in the abyssea camp's, and some way to access merit menus outside of your mog house. I would probalby end up playing FFXI for atleast another year!

Comment

Sure, being in an alliance abyssea party is a bit of a grind, but you have to admit that the reward is pretty awesome.

I have gotten to do all of 1 alliance party. I joined a group that had been at it for a few hrs already and I was there for about 3. At the end when I finally just broke 500 per kill I was addicted and didn't want to leave. Unfortunately I had a Limbus run to go to or I would have stayed, got my War to 80, capped exp and kept going for merits. It was by far the easiest experience points I have earned through party fighting in FFXI.

It seems like people are looking a gift horse in the mouth. If there is something you don't like don't do it.
                "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Posting a new thing i found out about the stone. Dont know if its been said alrdy so sry if its a repeat.

Its happened too me twice now. Ive gone in with 3 stones and with in 10min i d/c and i cant log back on. first time was my stupid brother spilt water on the router and fried the damn thing and second was we lost power. anyways after logging on the next night, zone into abyssea were i d/c'd from, immediately my visitant status wears off and i get kicked out of abyssea. of course loosing my stones and having to wait an hour before i cant get back in.

So what im gathering from this is that your time still ticks id you get d/c'd from abyssea. i dont know a way to confirm this cuz the timer windower has only counts up not down.

anyone else experience this?

Comment

Yeah, it's mentioned on wiki that if you log/dc in Abyssea your timer continues ticking down to the point where you have no time left and will be kicked once you log back in. Equally, if you return from dc you should still have your Visitant Status, any remaining time, and if you were killing mobs you'll be at the same exp per kill as you were before you dc'd.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
                      Yeah, it's mentioned on wiki that if you log/dc in Abyssea your timer continues ticking down to the point where you have no time left and will be kicked once you log back in. Equally, if you return from dc you should still have your Visitant Status, any remaining time, and if you were killing mobs you'll be at the same exp per kill as you were before you dc'd.
                      {/facepalm}

SE still hasn't learned from Besieged and Campaign that sometimes people get disconnected?

The fail is so strong here that it could melt polar ice.
                      Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                      99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                      F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                      >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

I joined another Abyssea party last night. This time I was Black Mage trying to get killshots to increase Azure Light and get Time Chests. There was one other Blm and I believe 2 Rdm. We were struggling to beat the melee to the death blow. Barely any instruction was given to the melee to not WS below a certain %. Finally just before we timed out some of the melee were starting to understand they needed to lay off at low %, but by then it was too late. We got a total of 2 time extensions added to the 90 minutes.

In short, I guess I must be elitist because I understand that a group playing TP Party +1 in Abyssea will not get great Exp and will time out. They need to understand that there is an Abyssea Alliance Party strategy.

I did however get a semidecent amount of exp considering we never broke 250 exp per mob and we timed out. So not a complete loss, but could have been much better.
                        "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
                          {/facepalm}

SE still hasn't learned from Besieged and Campaign that sometimes people get disconnected?
                          Um . . . Grizzlebeard was saying that when you get disconnected and then log back in, you're put back in to the exact same standing you were in as before you got disconnected, minus any intermediate time spent. And presumably, the only reason that even that is lost is so people don't find some kind of silly exploit in logging off within Abyssea to bank their time.

What part of any of that is fail, particularly if you're trying to draw a connection to Besieged or Campaign?
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                          Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
                            It doesn't look like anyone cares about the Northlands anymore on Fenrir which is very frustrating.
                            Supposedly all it takes is a LS going in and killing all the sword-icon mobs in the zones even when there's no battle going on. No exp but that's not the point. Of course an LS actually has to be care, and with Abyssea now ramping up (I even registered it and am now building up stones)...

Equally though, I'm rapidly losing interest in Campaign myself as I've earned and lost and re-earned my max rank in the last month due to the massive surge of people in the standard zones.
                            And so are a lot of other people. Suddenly this week (on Sylph at least), Campaign is back to it's old self. Even during JP prime. I can get decent XP now, unless a battle ends while my XP is still time-capped.

So at least I can have some fun with campaign while I save up Abyssea time.
                            Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                            99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                            F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                            >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

I have came in with 120 minutes and seen 70 minutes pass until a TE chest pops up, even though we have capped azure and been seeing tons of blue chests pop. Oddly enough, a puller gets booted because he ran out of time and next thing happens the next 5 blue chests are TE. I left that alliance with 120 minutes of time although on 3 different occasions I was down to less than 20 minutes.

We only had 2 BLM, they started doing Tier II AM at 75% when we needed the blue chests the most.
                              Dig A10; Main: Bonecraft 100+3/subs: 60/Fishing 59.7
                              Mules: Cooking 100+3/Alchemy 77.7

http://www.youtube.com/Ayrlie

Comment

It's very random but from what I've gleaned more people seriously need to get off their asses and do what I did;

Fish for Rusty Items by camp 4 in LTP until you have max fame and quest the Scarlet Abyssite of Kismet - It makes a huge difference.
                                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X