Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dirtyclown
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Telera View Post
    Playing with PvP is like playing with fire. It could sound good on paper and backfire horribly. They'd have to be careful with that.
    A duel system would easily solve the problem of people going too nuts. Perhaps one that comes with it's own chat filter and an option in the menu that allows players to flag for pvp. I personally like pvp, but the available pvp mediums in this game suck. I don't want an elaborate distraction getting in the way of me stabbing people, and I don't want a scheduled and regulated timetable for it either. Also, before anyone brings up the possibility of some annoying kid spamming with tells because random player #42 doesn't want to fight, we have a blacklist function built into the game already.

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    Finally - and this is just because it really annoys me for some reason - those fucking /BRD and Barspell bots in campaign.
    I don't see how this is such a horrible thing, those bots might be saving people from getting a really bad party member.

    Leave a comment:


  • Omgwtfbbqkitten
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    The trouble with doing that for BRD is that, as you should know, BRD buffs are almost exclusively self-targetted. The nerf you suggest would screw them over in normal, legitimate combat in Campaign. I can see making sure that you don't get credit for AoE buffs that only hit yourself, though.
    That's more or less what I'm getting at, but even that could be exploited, just have people party up thier song bots. It should only count if the targets it hits are actually engaged in casting and melee and that those allies are touching enemy targets. How to implement that is a grey area, but how its allowed to get by right now it unacceptable to me.

    And, er, there already are caps on the XP you can get from Campaign.
    Only in the sense that there are caps for specific types of actions. I somewhat knew we were in for these caps being exploited for Max EXP when the details were posted on BG and made thier way to other forums.

    At any rate, it needs to be fixed to reward activity and risk, not spamming a buff on yourself. Until then, these people are NM AoE target fodder to me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Feba
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Murphie View Post
    Agreed.
    You're in an awfully unmurphic mood today.

    Leave a comment:


  • Murphie
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Hey! It is awesome in there.

    Leave a comment:


  • Telera
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by MrMageo View Post
    Some non rare/ex items, maybe gil. Personally I love PVP and many other I know do as well.
    Turbine did this to the Ettenmoors on LotRO.

    It made all the Creeps cry.

    Hell, it made all the (older) Freeps cry.

    Both sides, many tears. So many loser ass respawn campers and burglar-gankers too interested in teals and shiny shit. Grams campers... campers.. more campers. Everywhere. It took what was a rare problem and made it an aggressive cancer.

    Playing with PvP is like playing with fire. It could sound good on paper and backfire horribly. They'd have to be careful with that.

    *looking for a flashlight to get out of Murphie's head* ...it's dark and scary in here.

    Leave a comment:


  • Murphie
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Agreed. You'll notice I didn't quote that part.

    Leave a comment:


  • Feba
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Murphie View Post
    It's like you're in my head.
    Except the 21+ part, pretty much. Measuring maturity in years doesn't work. Measuring it by kicking idiots out on their asses is rather effective.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrMageo
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    I like the idea for a "LS community hall" a gathering area where you can jut chill. Possibly include some reps from craftin guilds so you you can craft in the hall and make it a more guild type feel.

    Of course LS's are used solely to keep in touch over distances as per the manual so you never know.

    I personally would like to see a over haul on PVP. I would love for them to offer up some type of reward system other than braging rights. Some non rare/ex items, maybe gil. Personally I love PVP and many other I know do as well. (We acctually have a PVP shell which runs a 10K/person tournament on weekends which is kind of fun. But I would much rather it being open on a large scale, and possibly a Cross server tourney once a month for some big prizes.

    Leave a comment:


  • Murphie
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Telera View Post
    Isn't that the truth? The silence becomes rather boring after a while, and you'd welcome even the idiot in the shell always announcing whenever he's drunk/stoned/horny.

    ...of course, you'd not be missing him long. Soon you'd wish you could MPK his ass. But at least it isn't silent anymore. And then you get pissed and toss the shell and start the cycle all over again. I lost count of how many linkshells I went through trying to find a mature one.
    It's like you're in my head.

    Leave a comment:


  • Telera
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Originally posted by Feba View Post
    Yeah, no, sorry, FFXI sucks without social groups.

    I spent probably half my time in FFXI wandering around without an LS; even being in one full of annoying twits is better than not having one sometimes.
    Isn't that the truth? The silence becomes rather boring after a while, and you'd welcome even the idiot in the shell always announcing whenever he's drunk/stoned/horny.

    ...of course, you'd not be missing him long. Soon you'd wish you could MPK his ass. But at least it isn't silent anymore. And then you get pissed and toss the shell and start the cycle all over again. I lost count of how many linkshells I went through trying to find a mature one. Like BBQ said, if I could've found one where the rules were 21+ or turned away, I'd have joined it right off.

    Leave a comment:


  • Feba
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    well, yeah. I mean, my head is the size of a watermelon. There has to be something taking up all that space.

    Leave a comment:


  • Murphie
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    I am making my not surprised face right now.

    Leave a comment:


  • Feba
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    I breathe through my mouth

    It is big and can intake enough oxygen to keep my giant brain going

    Leave a comment:


  • Murphie
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    I go back and forth. I joined an LS recently to keep from being lonely, but my god are they a bunch of mouth breathers.

    Leave a comment:


  • Feba
    replied
    Re: The issues with FFXI that we don't often discuss

    Yeah, no, sorry, FFXI sucks without social groups.

    I spent probably half my time in FFXI wandering around without an LS; even being in one full of annoying twits is better than not having one sometimes.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X