Damn Sex Box 360s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Damn Sex Box 360s.

You know, there's this really cool thing called a "Rating". Let's review what this means for parents.

M means Matuuuuuuuure. This is intended for the 17+ age group. There's also a really cool description of what kind of sex, violence or gore there's going to be in this game before you choose to buy for your kid.

T means Teen. These guys are mostly acceptable for the teen audience.

E means everyone. Everyone from Bill Clinton to Barney can play these games.

Seriously....he's blaming the video game? It's been said again and again.....parents buy the games for the children. Children don't buy them. Stop blaming the video game industry! Target the parents instead.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Do you know that the majority of parents do not understand the ESRB ratings?? That, to me, is beyond sad. It's pretty easy to understand yet people are confused.
      Originally posted by Feba
      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
      Originally posted by DakAttack
      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
        Do you know that the majority of parents do not understand the ESRB ratings?? That, to me, is beyond sad. It's pretty easy to understand yet people are confused.
        How is that even possible? I know I sometimes overestimate the average IQ of the general population, but holy crap. Maybe they should just change it to the MPAA ratings system, maybe then they would understand.
        I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

I always did wonder why Sega didn't go with the MPAA ratings when they started the ratings system for videogames. It would have made things a lot simpler.
          PSN & XBL ID: Meicyn
          Wii Code: 6847-2608-8630-2415

Comment

MPAA ratings are copyrighted/trademarked. Various companies and organizations have been ordered to stop using them before.

Also, Sega didn't start the ESRB, they started their own ratings board. And the far better alternative to adopting ANYONE'S rating system is to not make one in the first place. Ratings systems do not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspian View Post
              How is that even possible? I know I sometimes overestimate the average IQ of the general population, but holy crap. Maybe they should just change it to the MPAA ratings system, maybe then they would understand.
              Your guess is as good as mine. It totally floored me when I read the study they did. Shortly after I read it, CNN.com did a story and a video on it too. It just amazed me......do they even attempt to read the damn boxes??

I'm thinking I have a 10 yr old son and he wants a Mature rated game and I'm too stupid/ignorant/illiterate to read the box to figure out what that means...so what do I do? How about think MATURE might mean NO?? Noooooo, I'll just buy it, let him play it, and then piss and moan to whoever will listen about how bad the gaming industry is by allowing my son to see such "garbage". Ya....that sounds about right.
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Well, my aunt bought my cousins GTA3 back when the oldest one was like 12. Being the good cousin I am I showed them how to pick up hookers, take them to a dark place to get your life back, then kill them to get your money back. I'm a responsible elder.

Comment

The thing about the rating system is that, like I said, rating systems don't work. Seriously, look at NC-17 or AO. They are effectively meaningless because only an extremely small amount of content that will get them bother being rated. Those that need a rating to survive commercially, such as Manhunt, will do whatever they have to do to get down to an M/R rating.

The far better system is to have prominent and accurate descriptions, or an easy to read graph.

For example, if you consider the major points of what makes up a rating -- Language, Violence, Sex, you could easily make a triangular graph representing how much movies contain of one. You could also say more specifically on the back of the box what it is. Websites with rating information could be very widely promoted, and have *actual examples* of content that could trouble parents, such as direct quotes, and explanations of their context.

Of course, the far better system is for the parent to simply do their research. Ask people who have played it, have an idea of what it's about, play it themselves, or AT LEAST WATCH THEIR KIDS PLAYING IT, etc.

I don't think a single one of us has played manhunt, but most of us could tell you what's in it. Of course, that won't go for every game, but it would be a simple matter to post five to ten minute clips of the worst parts of the game on the review board's site. Or hell, force parents to look at youtube clips before they buy games for their kids ffs.

Comment

I'm thinking I have a 10 yr old son and he wants a Mature rated game and I'm too stupid/ignorant/illiterate to read the box to figure out what that means...so what do I do? How about think MATURE might mean NO?? Noooooo, I'll just buy it, let him play it, and then piss and moan to whoever will listen about how bad the gaming industry is by allowing my son to see such "garbage". Ya....that sounds about right.
                    They probably read the rating and thought, "Mature? That sounds good. I don't want my child playing immature games!"
                    Lyonheart
                    lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                    Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                    Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                    Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                    Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                    Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                    Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

The issue I have with ratings is that different people have different tolerances. In my day, to hear "ass" or "shit" on tv was totally SHOCKING! Now that is treated like its practically nothing and I've heard "son of a bitch" used often. An occasional swear isn't that shocking to me but constant use does grate on my nerves. So some people might be offended by a game having simple swearing like "god damn it" or "shit" and others will think that is fine. So what is the moral high ground? What swearing do we draw the line at...or do we just include all swears as swearing?

And let's not even touch on nudity. The people in the US are so damn anal about nudity that I just want to shake them. Oh its ok to listen to music that is 60% swearing and degrading someone/something yet show a bare hinder in a game and OMFG THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!! Seriously, we all have bodies and for the most part all men's bodys and women's bodys are the same. We see ourselves naked every day when we bathe. So why in the hell are we so uptight about seeing nakedness!?

My issue runs deeper than my support for gaming. My issue lies with our level of parenting in this society. We've gotten lazy. We like to blame everyone but ourself for the problems our children have. We've gotten too soft with kids and they have learned to take advantage of that. Now I'm not saying every parent/child falls in these catagores but the vast majority do. It's funny because my daughter has 2 children and I see this laziness in her and it irritates me to high heaven. God has a unique sense of humor too since her husband is divorcing her and she can't make it on her own so she's coming to live with me. Ya....think about it...this should be fun with the way I feel about lazy parents... /sigh

Comment

Exactaruly, TGM. Some people will find completely different things acceptable. What I might think of as perfectly fine or even healthy for most kids would be seen as the devil's work by some parents.

Personally, I see absolutely no problem in any type of language or nudity for anyone of any age. Of course, society does, so I wouldn't expose a kid to profanity before they can be taught the subtleties of when it's ok and when it isn't. Still, that's a creation of society, not something that's good for children (Newsflash: saying Fuck doesn't magically set off some instinct in the brain that it's bad. In fact, there are many parts of the world where people wouldn't notice. Go to Engrish.com or Fucking, Austria for proof.)

Risky practices and violence, on the other hand, should be far more of a concern than they are. For example, pretty much no parent sees harm in their kids playing a game where they go on dangerous adventures or even street racing, and few parents see problems with their kids even shooting people, but those are far more of a risk to them than any sort of sexual content. It's really silly, if you look at culture-- it's perfectly acceptable to watch a movie where dozens of people are killed and maimed (such as Star Wars) at a very young age, but two people having sex is completely unacceptable.

I'd really like to hear someone justify why the risk of kids exploring each other's bodies is so awful, but the risks of kids shooting someone is A-OK.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        my daughter has 2 children and I see this laziness in her and it irritates me to high heaven. God has a unique sense of humor too since her husband is divorcing her and she can't make it on her own so she's coming to live with me. Ya....think about it...this should be fun with the way I feel about lazy parents...
                        I SMELL A SITCOM!
                        Last edited by Feba; 01-16-2008, 10:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                          Also, Sega didn't start the ESRB, they started their own ratings board.
                          I don't know why you corrected me, since I didn't say anything about the ESRB. I said that Sega started videogame ratings. And it's true, thanks to Nintendo's sleezy tactics at the time of trying to make Sega out to be a company that makes violent videogames. Once Nintendo started allowing violent content on their own console after realizing that the first Mortal Kombat sold like crap since theirs didn't have blood, the ESRB became "necessary" and was established.
                          PSN & XBL ID: Meicyn
                          Wii Code: 6847-2608-8630-2415

Comment

Because you're saying "The ratings system for video games". In North America, that is the ESRB, and has been for over a decade. You could say "A ratings system", or "their" ratings system, but not "The".

Comment

We see ourselves naked every day when we bathe.
                              Everyday?

I'd also have to say that whats inappropriate and such isn't just a matter of being different from person to person, but even situation to situation. I can watch a movie with friends or by myself and not have a problem with it. But then I can watch the exact same movie with my parents or even moreso my grandparents and be INCREDIBLY uncomfortable. I could definately say that if I had kids there are lots of games I wouldn't want my kids playing. Atleast not until they were atleast teenagers.

I think this problem is one that will change over the next 10 years or so. As people from my generation continue to get older and have kids that are at the age to start playing video games, they'll be more likely to play them with them and have an understanding of whats in the games their kids are playing.

Comment

Everyday?
                                Um....yes....everyday. You don't bathe everyday?? Ok for people that don't bathe everyday, you do change your undies and get dressed. So amend that to changing into clean clothes. Now you do that everyday don't you??

I think this problem is one that will change over the next 10 years or so. As people from my generation continue to get older and have kids that are at the age to start playing video games, they'll be more likely to play them with them and have an understanding of whats in the games their kids are playing.
                                I hope that younger gamers will play with their children! The bonds that you form will be invaluable! It's something that I actually push for in my professional life. I use games to get kids to relax and open up to me. When I bring the parents in eventually, I also encourage them to relax and play with us. I've seen children form very close strong bonds with their parents after a while and it just makes me smile everyday.

Comment

Working...
                                X