No announcement yet.

What games are you currently playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What games are you currently playing?

FFX-2 HD pissing me off something fierce.

Finally managed by some miracle to unlock the Youth League Cup, but I just can't handle the fights. Fucking leave it to SE to screw with things - they nerfed the living crap out of YRP to pretty much force you to use their shitty pseudo-pokemon crap that was added to the international version. For example, the catnip accessory now has an auto-berserk trait to it so no more Trigger Happy for 9999 damage each hit with critical HP which is making life complete hell against a lot of enemies, most notably Trema, Elder Drakes & Mega-Tonberry (FUCK MEGA-TONBERRY TO HELL!!!!)

The original PS2 release was waaaaaay easier. Not that I mind a challenge, but they took it too far with the nerfs (and buffing the bejeezus out of a lot of bosses, like in the previously mentioned cup. Nooj is especially OP). I could handle Mega Tonberry if he just wasn't so goddamn fast.... but he is, and hits for 30k+ damage.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Mal, I ya, but we should really change the title of this thread to "The Mal Bitches About Games Thread."
      sigpic
      ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
      ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
      ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
      ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

He wouldn't even care if these games just rolled over and gave him the cheevos. There is absolutely no good reason to play Blitzball in either FFX game. None. But he'left work himself into a aneurysm just to get a trophy.

I'd tell him to go play Shovel Knight because it probably would take him to his Megaman happy place, but then, it has achivements, too, and he seems to think those are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
          He wouldn't even care if these games just rolled over and gave him the cheevos. There is absolutely no good reason to play Blitzball in either FFX game. None. But he'left work himself into a aneurysm just to get a trophy.
          Hey, now, I sort of like Blitzball! (but not enough to keep playing beyond getting Auroch Reels and Jecht Shot 2 because Reasons).

I'd tell him to go play Shovel Knight because it probably would take him to his Megaman happy place, but then, it has achivements, too, and he seems to think those are mandatory.
          Mal's all about playing games as fast as possible for as many achievements/trophies so he can prove he played them... or something.

I like achievements, but I'll play a good game whether it has them or not (and unless I really enjoy activity X I'm not about to subject myself to parts of a game I don't enjoy just for completionist's sake... see: Assassin's Creed IV's loltastic multiplayer trophies).

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
            Hey, now, I sort of like Blitzball! (but not enough to keep playing beyond getting Auroch Reels and Jecht Shot 2 because Reasons).
            Same here, actually.
            Originally posted by Armando
            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
            Matthew 16:15

Comment

The cheevo thing is part OCD, part stubbornness - I like overcoming challenges.

Just more often than not SE takes things to the extreme. I really liked the original FFX-2 better without all the stupid monster capturing shit (explains where they got the idea for 13-2) .

Blitzball in X-2 is largely pointless since your only real interaction is managing the team, not even playing the game but it's also the only way to get AP eggs which if you don't, well, have fun maxing out your classes. Yeah certain Garment Grids have bonus EXP & AP but much simpler to just get the eggs (I got all 3 fairly quickly, maxing out my team took a while though). The Albhed Psyches are actually even MORE OP in X-2 than in X if you can believe that. In X though, Blitz was pretty fun (if frustrating at times because of the RNG) and I still think SE should have tried making an actual sports game for it as a standalone release.

I don't go nuts over cheevos in every game Borderlands 2 for example was just all about enjoying the game. And then there are some games where I just say "F it" for the achievements, either because they have ridiculous online ones (I hate Multiplayer ones in general) or they're just impossibly hard like vanquish - I'm still at 49/50 for that game and I refuse to attempt it again. How the hell anyone's ever managed (and I've seen the videos lol) to beat that final survival level is beyond me. That shit's more intense than watching a Korean Pro Starcraft 2 player.

EDIT: One thing I did notice this time around playing however (other than actually liking the game overall more, I felt dirty after beating it the 1st time back in '03) is that Dark Knight's "Black Sky" spell is INSANE. Takes forever to cast but holy shit it hits 9 times for pretty good damage even with a low magic stat.
              sigpic

Comment

Baldur's Gate is giving me the impression the world is out to get me, so maybe I should just kill every NPC that says hello just to be safe.
                Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 08-09-2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Stuck on whether or not to order Disgaea 3 or Ni No Kuni: WoTWW
                  Heavensward Stats - Main Story: Cleared | Alexander Normal: 4/4 | Alexander: Savage 0/4 | Relic: Last Resort (Scholar) | Mahatma: 2/12

Comment

Originally posted by Melody View Post
                    Stuck on whether or not to order Disgaea 3 or Ni No Kuni: WoTWW
                    Disgaea 3 is long and grindy. Ni No Kuni is pretty but the combat is a bit shallow.

You could have bought NNK digitally for like $7 at one point when it went on sale.

Icemage

Comment

In terms of gameplay, Disgaea 4 and D2 (not Disgaea 2, D2 is the direct squeal to Disgaea 1) are strictly better games due to a lot of the tedium and questionable gameplay decisions in 3 being removed.

YMMV with story and characters though. I preferred Val and Fenris in 4 (mostly because Val reminds me a lot of a hammy, Chaotic Good Fallen Paladin/Sorcerer/Eldritch Knight I once played in a Pathfinder campaign, fun times) but good god Mao in 3 is hilarious.
                      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                      Reiko Takahashi
                      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Completed the end of Fire Emblem: Awakening last night. Was not disappointed. In fact, some of the game design choices just seem all the more brilliant in retrospect. The final fight proved comparatively simple (had it beat in two tries and within three turns, with a little luck), but I didn't feel let down at all.
                        No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                        Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                        However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                        Matthew 16:15

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF8j...CyL06kKY843fgw

Baron is up there with Cho and Millhouse for the amount of silliness he's bringing into the game, and I love it.

Incidentally, I've pretty much stopped playing any games other than osu lately.

Comment

Elite: Dangerous. And I suck at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF8j...CyL06kKY843fgw

Baron is up there with Cho and Millhouse for the amount of silliness he's bringing into the game, and I love it.

Incidentally, I've pretty much stopped playing any games other than osu lately.
                              I still think that TotalBiscuit wins with Cho hilarity:

TB and Crendor's Hearthstone Gimmick-a-thon 3000 - Episode 2 - YouTube

Also Millhouse is one of those cards you play in terrible gimmick decks that you know suck, but are too fun not to play anyway.
                              Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                              Reiko Takahashi
                              - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Beat X-2 and finally saw the Good ending - totally worth it.

Just got a few more trophies left, the worst being finishing oversouling every enemy (ugh) and that treasure room for Last Mission.

Somehow I ended up with only 99% completion though which is utter BS... followed the 100% guide to the f'ing letter, not sure how I got hosed. Simple enough though, just doing NG+ until I get to the amazing sphere and I'll side with new yevon - that should get me the 1% I'm missing.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X