Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aksannyi
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Lol, for real.

    Leave a comment:


  • DakAttack
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by Malacite View Post
    I haven't exercised properly in well over 10 years, and my weight hasn't really budged much, despite all the snacking and junk I like to eat. Not sure if I just have a really strong metabolism or if I'm like "L" from Death Note (burning off calories via constant mental exercise).
    On behalf of the rest of the planet: fuck you.

    Leave a comment:


  • Malacite
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Yeah that's kinda my issue at the moment lol and why I've been in such horrible pain this week - doing actual strength exercises has been murder on me.

    But it's all for the better, I'm pitifully weak and I want that to change. As far as my weight goes, I'm not too worried;

    I haven't exercised properly in well over 10 years, and my weight hasn't really budged much, despite all the snacking and junk I like to eat. Not sure if I just have a really strong metabolism or if I'm like "L" from Death Note (burning off calories via constant mental exercise).

    Leave a comment:


  • Ketaru
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    It seems like you guys are way more committed to good health than I am. I do a lot of walking, hiking, and riding my bike but nothing for upper body strength. So the result is I've been losing weight and fitting clothes better, but not much else as far as building muscle is concerned.

    Leave a comment:


  • Taskmage
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    There's a difference between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol. That link is about the latter. Most of the material I've found on dietary cholesterol, like this Mayo Clinic article, are wishy-washy on the subject, but tend to hedge on the side of lowering cholesterol. That one says there's no evidence that eating four or fewer egg yolks per week will increase your risk of heart disease, but nonetheless recommends that people with high LDL like myself restrict their diets to less than 200mg of cholesterol per day, which is about the amount in one large egg.

    Leave a comment:


  • Malacite
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    "Good" and "bad" cholesterol... what does it all mean? - Cholesterol - Body & Health

    Leave a comment:


  • Yellow Mage
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    My point about the bureaucracy there still stands.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mezlo
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
    This is the same CDC that has a Zombie Apocalypse plan that it would be too tied up in bureaucratic red tape to execute effectively anyway, am I not mistaken?
    The zombie apocalypse plan was "a fun way" for the CDC to point out the need for having an emergency preparation plan, not that they are actually planning for a zombie apocalypse...

    CDC EPR | Social Media | Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse

    Leave a comment:


  • cidbahamut
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
    Cid doesn't trust the CDC, lol...
    I was actually referring to Mal's ramble about good and bad cholesterol etc.

    Leave a comment:


  • Yellow Mage
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
    Cid doesn't trust the CDC, lol...
    This is the same CDC that has a Zombie Apocalypse plan that it would be too tied up in bureaucratic red tape to execute effectively anyway, am I not mistaken?

    Leave a comment:


  • Mezlo
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Cid doesn't trust the CDC, lol...

    Leave a comment:


  • cidbahamut
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    I don't trust any of that. The consensus on that sort of thing varies wildly every five years, so either it's an elaborate con or no one really knows what the fuck except our mothers who just told us to eat our vegetables.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mezlo
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by Malacite View Post
    What matters more is how you prepared them;
    True. And don't eat them raw.

    CDC Features - Tips to Reduce Your Risk of Salmonella from Eggs

    Leave a comment:


  • Malacite
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
    That's a really good idea. I'd implement it myself, but anything that would be a temptation for me, if left in plain sight, would be a temptation for other, small people around here, who would fail to resist as soon as I turned my back on it.

    Two days of reasonable amounts of sleep has done wonders for my energy level all by itself. That or the manic is kicking in. I got up early today and made breakfast for everyone. Walked to school with my son, a mile there and a mile back, then set about mowing the lawn with my human-powered lawn mower. Didn't really get my heart rate up in either case, but it's sustained exertion and calories burned. Certainly wore me out. I'm calling it light cardio, probably going to add some crunches later to round things out, call it good for the day and do some real cardio tomorrow.

    I ate terribly though. Had 2½ eggs for breakfast (note to self: make two less eggs for the kids next time), had a bit over a cup of mixed berries, which did not stop the sweet craving by itself and got followed up by a slice of birthday cake, some leftover fajita meat as a snack, and I'm still pretty hungry for lunch. The caloric intake probably isn't too inappropriate considering I was a lot more active this morning than usual, but the cholesterol from the eggs and obviously the cake were not good choices. I've really got to stock this place with some better options.
    You know there's good and bad cholesterol right? Eggs are the good kind, so you're fine. What matters more is how you prepared them; Poached is generally the healthiest way (and my own preference after years of just eating them scrambled - though I do still love to scramble them once in a while) followed by hard/soft boiled.


    Honestly, I seriously recommend getting either The Nutribullet or Ninja blenders. They are *amazing* and well worth their prices (we got the Nutribullet because it was cheaper and came with all kinds of information and health guide books, though I still want a Ninja). For myself, I usually mix in some spinach and/or green kale, along with 2 bananas, raspberries, blueberries and mango (sometimes pineapple too if we get some fresh) with some water and for a "boost" I throw in about a teaspoon or 2 each of Sunflower, Sesame and Pumpkin seeds. I should actually be including almonds as well but they're pricey and right now I usually put those in my Dad's drinks.

    Typically, 1 batch will last me 3~4 days depending on how much I drink. They have done *wonders* for my health and energy levels though (the Zinc from the pumpkin seeds in particular is important for male health and I just recently learned Zinc also has a tremendous impact on both male & female libido & aptitude).


    I'm starting to see results as well, now that I'm actually exercising again. I'm also in a world of pain too mind you lol... I'm not super fat or anything (it's mostly concentrated in my gut though, and that's the most dangerous and I want it gone by the end of summer) but I haven't really been terribly active in years and so I'm suffering "growing pains" from working out. I have a PT coaching me (for 4 more sessions anyway, dear God are they expensive) so I don't think I'm in any risk of injuring myself, though I swear it certainly feels like it some days.


    EDIT: Ditch the diets people, they don't work. You have to change your lifestyle or the weight will just come back. This does include adjusting your diet, but going on some gimmicky program or whatever and then reverting to how you ate before will just negate all the "work" you did. I did see a program called "Try Food Lovers" which supposedly allows you to keep eating everything you like, but idk. It works by adjusting your eating habits to keep your body in fat-burning mode, but I haven't researched it enough to really verify anything.

    Leave a comment:


  • Armando
    replied
    Re: Time for a change... ((Health stuff.))

    I've been on a diet for 3 months now and I'm seeing steady progress for the first time (1.75 pounds per week), even when I'm too busy to work out. I'd say the food scale I bought is what's made all the difference. I used to guesstimate my calories and that probably screwed me over in the past. But more so than that, I've found it harder to eat high-calorie foods when I can see the huge chunk out of my daily budget it's going to take out. It's really hard to justify eating something with 1000 calories when my daily budget is 1350.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X