Official Bored at Work / Off-Topic Chat Thread II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Bored at Work / Off-Topic Chat Thread II

It is cold out, so I am wearing a skullcap. With my hipster glasses it makes me look (more) like a douche.

Comment

52 to pages is to far to read back.......but hats?

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
        Just because you couldn't design the test better yourself doesn't mean it's a good test. Even so, you're drawing a false dichotomy. They could have simply collected contact information at the con itself, then asked their questions later when the subjects were not cosplaying and immersed in the context of their entertainment.
        Are you suggesting that these people are so stupid that when presented with researchers that identify themselves as such and are given a release they have to sign stating they understand this is a research project that because they are in costume they can not help themselves and will answer in character? 48% of people asked can not answer out of character if they're in costume, but totally can if you called them at home?

To be perfectly honest, I would expect people to be more honest at the con, they're surrounded by like minded individuals.

Also on the topic of people in the fursuit answering in the afermative (simplified) they are an animal - Remember 48% say that they in some way are an animal -

Furries wear fursuits. When asked if they owned a fursuit, 26.4 % of the 216FP who responded said "yes".
        When asked if they wore a fursuit, 30% of the 217FP who responded said "yes". These results are not consistent with this stereotype.

Simply role playing doesn't explain the answers, even if every last one of those in the fur suit couldn't answer truthfully because they were in costume.

So this data doesn't even describe what the average furry con attendee is like, it describes what furry con attendees think the average furry is like, which is still fraught with cognitive bias and only marginally better than asking the general populace what the average furry is like.
        Actually it exploits a known in human nature. When asking about others in a group that you identify with when you need to generalize, you generalize based on your own experience. You think you're not telling about yourself, but in reality, you're telling more about yourself than you mean to. So basically, in the absence of any concrete evidence to the contrary, trusting people will say others in their group can be trusted and suspicious people will have less favorable views.

This does look par for the course for psychology studies. You can't help but have a certain uncertainty, it is unfortunate but expected because you're dealing with people and not simply numbers, but their reported aggregations are far above any statistical margin of error.

The real unfortunate part is there probably will be no related or followup, since serial killers get all the psychology glory.
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
          It is cold out, so I am wearing a skullcap. With my hipster glasses it makes me look (more) like a douche.
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

This thread about test methodology blows chunks compared to the hat and furry threads.
            Sorry, I had a phone call before I had a chance to hit submit, that would have been submitted like 15 minutes ago otherwise.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
            Can we go back to talking about hats or something?
            I have a leather trench coat that I don't get to wear often because of the climate here, that makes me sad.

Double sad because it was a gift.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

It's a leather trench coat. The weather is doing you a favor.

Comment

It looks awesome.

loose

Comment

Perhaps it does. I did a search for "leather trench coat" and found some acceptable options. That's just a lot of leather, so it's one of those things I'd have to judge on a case by case basis.

Of course, I don't generally like to wear anything longer than 3/4 length anyway, and only that on occasion.

Comment

But it's a trench coat. Trench coats look awesome.
                    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                    Name: Drjones
                    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

I have a trenchcoat and I look awesome in it but I live in frickin Texas.
                      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I disagree that trench coats look awesome. They CAN look awesome, but there are altogether too many people that think that they look cool in one, but in fact look like they watched the Matrix too often.

Comment

<---- Exhibit A

Matrix Trenchcoat and shades combo FTW.
                          sigpic
                          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I'm hijacking this thread.
                            There are "better" languages than Perl — hell, there are lots of them, if you define "better" as "not being insane". Lisp, Smalltalk, Python, gosh, I could probably name 20 or 30 languages that are "better" than Perl, inasmuch as they don't look like that Sperm Whale that exploded in the streets of Taiwan over the summer. Whale guts everywhere, covering cars, motorcycles, pedestrians. That's Perl. It's charming, really.

But Perl has many, many things going for it that, until recently, no other language had, and they compensated for its exo-intestinal qualities. You can make all sorts of useful things out of exploded whale, including perfume. It's quite useful. And so is Perl.
                            This is the best description of any programming laguage I've ever read. Not that I would know about Perl from firsthand experience, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
                              <---- Exhibit A

Matrix Trenchcoat and shades combo FTW.
                              This explains so fucking much.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
                              99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
                              99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

I live in frickin Texas.
                                I am so sorry.
                                Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                                Name: Drjones
                                Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Working...
                                X