[GM]Dave's feelings on Manthras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [GM]Dave's feelings on Manthras

many guys are pigs....sorry about that ladies -.- but anyway, I love it when guy hits on me.. because the I get to show them the "I'm a guy card" and they freak ;p

I, myself don't like taking items from people, so far I have only accepted a gift from one person, another Mithra who I have been talking to for a long time. I don't like the general group I am placed in as a guy playing a female character, I don't lie or flirt to get items or gil, and hate the ones that do -.-
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

That was a wonderful excerpt from his blog, it made me giggle.

On the topic of girls and gaming..

When I was playing World of Warcraft, my husband and I were both raid leaders for a guild there. When the guild was first starting out, we just typed out commands and everything worked out fine. Of course, the guild got larger and it became difficult to control raid members with text, so we decided to get a ventrilo server to use instead.

The story begins the first time I speak on the server, it was as if someone had opened a flood gate. The comments, the gifts sent to me, the offerings of help on a daily basis. It all became ridiculous, to the point where I stopped leading raids and muting my microphone because of the harassment.

I find that many men/boys who play online games can be perfect gentlemen, reciprocating any assistance between the mutual parties (even if of the opposite sex). Then you have this collective group who decide it is okay to try and verbally molest anyone with the potential for being a woman/girl. It is so true that a rotten apple ruins the bunch, there is this paranoia involved. Telera, I share the same feelings when someone offers me anything when I am playing. Even at work, I am weary when a male co-worker offers to help me. It is truly sad that we have to interact this way.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
        One reason is that some conversations on vent just aren't for younger ears. I'm sure people don't want some psycho mother screaming over vent over something their child heard.
        It is the parent's job to watch what their children are up to. If a kid honestly tells you their age, they've probably already failed to do that. Either way, you can't be sure at all, if a parent gets bitchy tell them that they should be keeping an eye on what their little snowflake is doing.

And the point I was making is that after knowing someone for a while sometimes you get suspicious of things they've said like their age/sex.
        And again, if they don't want to tell you how they are in reality, what business do you have to intrude? What difference does it make to you if that Elvaan MNK is a 15 year old girl or a 38 year old man, if they don't want to talk about their lives?

Vent lurking I can understand, but that's a separate issue.

Originally posted by Brielle View Post
        Then you have this collective group who decide it is okay to try and verbally molest anyone with the potential for being a woman/girl.
        This is why they invented the blacklist and kick.

Great way to keep the riffraff out of the guild, too.

Quite honestly, I don't see why you feel like you need to trouble yourself on the off chance that you're going to take a gift from some asshole who will later try to take advantage of it. Take the gifts, and if they try to use that as an excuse to harass them later, blacklist the dumbasses. Hell, if they get too bad before you bl them, call a GM for sexual harassment, too.

Comment

I don't think it's about intrusion Feba. It's just a casual talk. No the person doesn't have to answer but people just ask about it all the time without really thinking anything about it.
          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

It's called natural curiosity.
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I play a Mithra, and I remember somebody who said they hoped that I was really a girl...

My response: "I hope so too."

Comment

When people ask me if I am a girl or a guy I just say, "I am whatever you want me to be, if I am a girl I am a girl, if I am a guy I am a guy." It makes them wander more, but its also fun to keep them guessing xD.
                Name: Bluecat
                Main Jobs:
                SMN14, DRG8, RDM30
                Sub Jobs: BLM13,WHM7,NIN7,SAM2,DRK4
                Linkshell(s): (Owner) RainbowOverHolla

Comment

I learned to not care for those gender issues.. It's never good either way. I get called dude, man, babe, hun among others. I never make a point out of it, aslong as it stays appropriate. I do tell the truth when asked by friends, when I really think my answer is not going to do any good, I just ignore it. It shouldn't matter anyway, right? I can hardly think of a game situation in which it matters for me whether someone thinks i'm a man or a woman.
                  http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

I completely agree with that, it really should not matter if someone is male or female when playing online games. My problem was when I tried talking over a ventrilo server, it was a bit hard to mask my gender after that point.

It my situation, I removed myself from the issue and let someone else take over. Most of my guild were male and did not understand why it bothered me, assuming I should find it flattering. To me, I am just as capable as any male player at making currency in the game, acquiring gear, finding my way around the world, fighting monsters, etc.

Comment

Oh I hate that card, "You should be flattered!"

Give me a break. To all the males who don't get it, you try being a female in a game riddled with virgin males willing to stick their dick in anything with tits and a hole and see how you like being propositioned every thirty seconds.

Not much fun at all.
                      sigpic
                      ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                      ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                      ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                      ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

This thread kind of reminds me of a running joke we had in Everquest: There are no female wood elves. There are however male wood elves, and a small army of crossdressers.

I guess they could be considered goths, if all the goths weren't playing female dark elves. Either way, I knew more women playing male dwarves than female wood elves. It was very odd... not as odd as the women playing male trolls, but still out there. I suppose I'll just never understand why someone would decide to pick the opposite gender if they aren't roleplaying, there's more than one choice of gender, and there's no statistical advantage to either. This avatar represents the virtual me... Ok, is there some sort of operation you're saving up for we should know about?

I really consider most mithras I meet to be men. I'll treat them like women if I'm roleplaying for fun on Zerl, but I have about the same numbers of offended people with either assumption. I'm just right more often this way.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comment

Originally posted by Brielle View Post

It my situation, I removed myself from the issue and let someone else take over. Most of my guild were male and did not understand why it bothered me, assuming I should find it flattering. To me, I am just as capable as any male player at making currency in the game, acquiring gear, finding my way around the world, fighting monsters, etc.
                          You have no idea how much it annoys me for some male to question my skills/knowledge/etc just because I'm a woman. Back in the day when gaming was 99.99% male orientated, I was one of the .01% and it was horrible. I still run into it on occasion with online gaming and thats why I usually use a different name so they don't know if I'm male or female. It really has gotten a LOT better through the years though. I also run into it with my Harley. I go into the shop, know what I need, and know how to do it. I get the 50 question bs from the guys just to "make sure" that I've got what I need and can do it. I'm usually quite patient and weather the storm but once I blew up and said "Do you ask all the MEN that come in the same bulls**t? Doesn't seem so since 3 were ahead of me and you just gave them what they asked for and they left. So how about stopping with the condescending crap and give me my stuff so I can get on with my day!?" Guess what happened after that? You got it, I stood up for myself after years of taking the bs and now I'm labeled a b***h. Men, go figure.

(Please don't tell me to shop somewhere else then because it happens at all the local HD shops. Plus I get a d/c at this one so of course I'm going to go there.)
                          Originally posted by Feba
                          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                          Originally posted by DakAttack
                          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Pssh. They're so jealous cause we're so cool.

So afraid that we're gonna take over, aren't ya?! No worries though. We'll always find an use for you, promise.
                            Edit:
                            Well, most of you anyway.

Edit 2:
                            Actually, perhaps about half of you.
                            http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

Back in the day when gaming was 99.99% male orientated,
                              I call shenanigans!

Such a time did not exist.

Originally posted by Kittyneko View Post
                              Pssh. They're so jealous cause we have tits
                              Fixed. This is why I couldn't really care less; I've got my own pair, they aren't that amazing.

Comment

This discussion reminds me of a song. It's called "One day, women will all become monsters" by a band called Chiodos.

Reading through this thread has changed my opinion on some things. I play a Paladin and enjoy helping people out with quests, missions, etc. It's sometimes boring and a waste of time, but I'm at least helping someone out when nobody else would, right? But apparently not. I'mma retire from helping anyone with a character that has a different gender from my own, because I never realized how insulting it is when I tank those AF NMs when nobody else will, or when I'm the first to volunteer for a random quest that involves almost certain death for anyone involved. And here I thought the entire point of the game's social aspect was helping friends and achieving similar goals. My mistake.

I forgot the sarcasm tags, btw.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X