[GM]Dave's feelings on Manthras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [GM]Dave's feelings on Manthras

Moved to Off-topic. Could fit in the "General FFXI Discussion," but not in ".Dat and Image rendering." ^^
    Tokagawa probably just saw the "Mithra" sub-forum.
    http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

I've never really had a problem with the whole 'guy playing a female character' thing. A few people in my ls really seem to get caught up in it and try to out every one they can. What's funny to me is there are just as many guys playing female humes as there are mithras but the 'manthra' thing is what always gets focused on.

If you're a guy, fine. If you're a girl, fine. I really don't care usually as long as you aren't an a-hole and can play your job well enough. The only time it ever bugs me is when the guy pretends to be a girl to coerce or get things out of other players.

There's a thin line between roleplaying and deceit. As long as the person playing the character remembers that line, they can do whatever they want.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
        The only time it ever bugs me is when the guy pretends to be a girl to coerce or get things out of other players.
        Yes, I've seen this happen many times in several different MMO's, but then again some women also take advantage of this also. No, I'm not speaking from personal experience either. LOL But I do know of a harlot on my server and seen her take advantage of a few different guys. We tried to tell the one guy she was using to open his eyes but if someone doesn't want to see something, they won't. In the end, he saw her for what she was and all her fun ended....until she found a new sucker.
        Originally posted by Feba
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        Originally posted by DakAttack
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
          The only time it ever bugs me is when the guy pretends to be a girl to coerce or get things out of other players.
          Quite honestly, I don't see the problem with this either.

If someone is foolish enough to give someone crap in an online game just because of their gender, they are an idiot. These are the sorts of assholes that harass female players anyway, they might as well learn not to trust people online. Also, this has a bad habit of going from "this person said they were a girl' to "this person said they were a girl, so obviously they're trying to steal all of my hard earned accomplishments' -- not everyone wants to be themselves in game, and again I don't see a problem with that.

These things also can be annoying for those of us who can keep it in our pants; since female players get to the point where turn down gifts and such because of these people.

Around TAU release, I met a taru WHM. Nice person, good player, invited them to an assault LS I was forming. I was talking with them, and realized they had never used +hMP. I gave them some cookies and +1 pants I had sitting in my mog safe, and let them try it out. They really enjoyed it. A few days later, I saw him without the WHM hat on, and realized that the character was male. I made a joke about it (hey, it's a taru, and in that hat, how the hell am I supposed to tell?), and it must've taken an hour before I finally got him convinced (or at least, enough to shut up and stop asking) that I hadn't given him things because I thought he was female.

And really, at least all you lost was some fake currency in a video game world. You keep giving things away to people on the hopes that they'll like you (which is flawed enough on it's own), you're going to get screwed in real life too someday. Better to learn it with a Hauberk than a sedan.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
            Quite honestly, I don't see the problem with this either.

If someone is foolish enough to give someone crap in an online game just because of their gender, they are an idiot. These are the sorts of assholes that harass female players anyway, they might as well learn not to trust people online. Also, this has a bad habit of going from "this person said they were a girl' to "this person said they were a girl, so obviously they're trying to steal all of my hard earned accomplishments' -- not everyone wants to be themselves in game, and again I don't see a problem with that.

These things also can be annoying for those of us who can keep it in our pants; since female players get to the point where turn down gifts and such because of these people.
            Exactly. I've never understood why people get all worked up when the person they are talking to in a video game. Who looks little to nothing like their character, and who lives in another state or country altogether. I mean, my mom plays FFXI. And people flirt with her. Guys, stop flirting with my mom. She is retired, and disabled. I love her, but she is not what you imagine when you look at her character. She is laughing at you when you flirt, though she appreciates the free gil and gear.

Comment

No one gives me free anything ... and I have real boobs. What gives?
              sigpic
              ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
              ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
              ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
              ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                I mean, my mom plays FFXI. And people flirt with her. Guys, stop flirting with my mom
                My mom played a Mithra once. Ruined an entire genre of doujins for me.
                Last edited by Feba; 04-18-2008, 06:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I agree that its their own fault but it doesn't make what the other person does ok either. People lie for their own gain.......A LOT.

I always get a kick out of people in the ls that just take whatever a person says on blind faith. A person who habitually misses events and always has a fairly elaborate excuse COULD be lying! Hell its probably 90% fact that they are....but there is always some yahoo that believes everything that someone says and stands up for them. I've been on the internet a LONG time so I'm quite jaded and I don't often believe things people say.......like...

I love the person thats in game 12 hours a day but says they have a tan and are buff because they lay out and work out at the gym everyday. Wow, when do you sleep, eat, and s**t for petes sake.

I love the guy that posts on forums as a woman and even goes as far as faking a pregnancy/birth. Sad thing is someone that just gave birth 2 hours ago is NOT going to be posting on the forum helping some nub figure out a quest in the MMO of the month. LOL

I love the girl/guy who's mic is constantly broken or they can't afford to get one and come on Vent/TS. You want to hear them to verify they are the sex/age they are claiming but all they do is lurk and listen to everyone. You even offer to send a spare headset or buy a brand new one and they'll say some bull like "its against my religion to accept gifts from strangers" blah blah blah.

She is laughing at you when you flirt, ...
                  I laugh like crazy and take screenies. Keep it coming boys!

My mom played a Mithra once.
                  My main is a mithra too....just wish they would make one with grey hair. (And no the white haired one is not grey hair! LOL)
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

My mic is broken. I bought two headsets that broke within weeks of each other. I decided not to throw good money after bad, and besides I don't like talking with people on vent anyway. But then again, I'm not pretending to be someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                      You want to hear them to verify they are the sex/age
                      Why is this an issue?

I don't like talking with people on vent anyway
                      Agreed. Even when I have a working headset, I strongly prefer typing. I simply dislike telephony in general.

Comment

I don't see why anyone I play a game with is entitled to any personal details about me or my life. Relevant details are what kind of player I am, and whether I do what needs to be done at an LS event. What is not relevant is what gender I am, my age, where I work, what my favorite color is, or what kind of relationship I am in. I may choose to share those details, but at no point are you entitled to them.

Comment

What is not relevant is what gender I am, my age, where I work, what my favorite color is, or what kind of relationship I am in.
                          Exactly. Those are irrelevant to an MMO; those juicy details only need to be shared inside the Murphie Fan Club.

Comment

Why is this an issue?
                            One reason is that some conversations on vent just aren't for younger ears. I'm sure people don't want some psycho mother screaming over vent over something their child heard. And the point I was making is that after knowing someone for a while sometimes you get suspicious of things they've said like their age/sex. Getting on a chat program sometimes can help verify them. Also I just do not like lurkers on Vent/TS so sometimes I'll offer to get them a headset so they can fully participate. It's particularly annoying when they want to respond to a vent conversation and the only venue they have is ls chat. Then people in the ls are going WTF!? and you end up explaining over and over "It's vent chat" "It's vent chat" "It's vent chat"....

Comment

Exactly. Those are irrelevant to an MMO; those juicy details only need to be shared inside the Murphie Fan Club.
                              Only 49.95 a month gets you access to all of the juicy Murphie details you crave!

I've never felt the need to "verify" the stories people tell me in MMOs. I just take things with a grain of salt.

Comment

This = true.

As a 'girl gamer' I find myself almost instantly suspicious of any gift or overt kindness done toward me by anyone. For one, I don't want people to ever get the impression that I'm after anyone's 'rarz'. I am not after any 'rarz'. And I don't flirt with people in games, being happily spoken for in reality. But I also don't want to feel like I owe someone, either, and I generally do, even if what's been given is a gift.

I've always felt odd about taking things from people in the real world, or in games. But more so in games, because I'm often afraid it's going to come back to bite me in the ass, with me gaining a guy tagging on, hounding me about me 'owing' him somehow for what he gave me. Or worse still, me somehow giving him the wrong impression and him thinking that I like him. That would be bad. I don't like to hurt people. Usually... >.>;

It's actually to the point that I'm wary of even talking too much to 'random' guys I come across in games, if only because I have been harassed in rather disgusting ways in the past, and it not only pisses me off, it sometimes kind of scared me. Which is irrational, yes, but it did all the same.
                                "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

Working...
                                X