Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl

So, not random.
    Please don't tell me you're really relying on Wikipedia to be unbiased.

Really Murphie, you're putting too much faith in legislators to be intelligent. Even if an intellectual was elected to serve, you have to remember who his bosses are.

Comment

Who says I'm putting my faith in legislators to be intelligent? I'm just saying that's the way things are.

Regarding the article. I just said it seems that way. I'm well aware of the quality of information available on Wikipedia.
      ------------------------------------------
      Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
      Assuming both legislatures were working with the same access to hypothetical scientific data on the subject, it seems to me that the best explanation for their diverging paths would be based on the political and cultural climate in the area towards homosexual relationships, which I would call arbitrary since it's derived from what is ethically passable rather than some calculated number. Even haven considered research on the subject, it still basically comes down to basically picking a number out of the air.
      I mentioned earlier that it does seem pretty arbitrary, since it varies so much from state to state, and because homosexual age of consent is different in many cases.

The thing is, I'm not trying to argue why they choose whatever age they choose, though I would like to find a better answer than I've so far been able to. I'm just pointing out that AOC laws exist for a reason. And that reason is, teenagers and children are not considered on average, to be ready to make these kind of decisions. It protects them from exploitation, and hopefully saves them from emotional hardships.

Personally I believe the laws are poorly reasoned, and don't make enough allowances for individual circumstances (especially here in Ohio, where anything vaguely sexual is legislated within an inch of it's life). But I do believe that there was, at least at some point, and still is, to a certain extent, an intent to do good with them.
      Last edited by Murphie; 09-30-2007, 10:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'm just pointing out that AOC laws exist for a reason.
        No one is disagreeing with this. We just don't all believe that politicians are wonderful people who do only good for humanity.

Comment

Well, good. Because no one was making that point. So what, exactly, have you been riding my ass about for the past two pages?

Comment

Originally posted by Telera View Post
            I know they wouldn't, that's basically what my final sentence was a summation of. It was a fact of life, really. You didn't live long, children had a high mortality rate, and basically they didn't have much choice. Not if we wanted to carry on being a species at any rate. :p
            But at the same time they were taking awful risks they weren't even aware of that often did kill mother and child. Thankfully, we advanced in medicine. And live long enough that we don't have to wed off our half-matured girls to progenate the species.
            Yes now in our modern society with good medicine, social and higher life expectancies, there is no need to worry about keeping up population elvels, inf act now there are too many people for this planet to sustain.

In the past they didn't know much, only what the churches said and question that you then had the wrath of god to contend with. There was a historical artical in the 13th century about a 12 year old girl forced to copulate with a stranger she didn't like, he impregnated her and she died during child birth. He murdered her family because he blamed them for not making a strong enough child to bear his children.

Thank god we live today and not in the past.

I unfortunately live in a region of the Uk which has the highest amount of teenage pregnacies (i.e. pregnancies for the under 16's) in europe. and you walk out on the streets and see how the kids act and see today how 10 years ago the kids born to mothers of 13 etc. are now at 10 and having ASBO's, heavily involved in petty crime and drugs and alcahol (yes at 10) you tend to ask yourself why doesn't the law work?

Should it be raised, should heavier penalties be issued to those who do the deed to the younger, should education improve or is the education too early? (in the Uk sex ed starts at 10!! and its only at 14 when they teach about STD's, in a lot of caes too long as STD's are on an epidemic increase in young people)

I'm sue the Uk is not the only country seeing this worrying trend in the young.
            Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
            I found this site with a table of ages of consent for the various states. Anyone's guess as to its accuracy but I don't feel like doing real research.
            Looking at the table for south carolina where it says F14, M16. 14?????? I hope tht is wrong.
            Last edited by Jarre; 10-01-2007, 12:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Jarre: Personally I say we fuck them all and let darwin work his magic.

as long as we nix welfare first.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                Jarre: Personally I say we fuck them all and let darwin work his magic.
                as long as we nix welfare first.
                Have you seen idiocracy? Is just nixing welfare going to do it?

@Murphie: I guess I'm just disagreeing on terms. I'm not suggesting the formula for age of consent is 13 + 1D6 nor is it (physMat + polClimate*birthRate)/persBias. There's not a formula, the lawmakers just turn those factors over in their heads and pull out a number that seems consistent with those values and concerns. Taking personal biases into consideration, it's a system so complex and fuzzy that the result may as well be random.
                lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I found this site with a table of ages of consent for the various states. Anyone's guess as to its accuracy but I don't feel like doing real research.
                  It is somewhat off for Washington state, view:

http://moraloutrage.net/staticpages/...age=Washington

http://sidesplitters.catastrophe.net...washington.htm

Basically:

Age of consent IS 16, unless you are 5 years older than the person, in which case the age of consent would be 18.

Toss in a few laws about inappropriate conduct as well that complicate things, fun. It looks like the main issue is having sex with a young person while being in a position of authority over them, several examples of say, teacher having sex with a young person, while being in a relationship with them. I don't know about being in a relationship and having sex with a young person, nor do I care to find out.

Interesting thread.......

I'm not going to really touch on the age of consent laws and stuff because honestly, I don't know why they chose those ages. I will say though that I think that 16 is too young to be having sex with just anybody. In that regard I actually like the WA law.

I find this interesting because on the one hand I am a little outraged by the 22 year old having sex with a 16 year old. On the one hand we don't know the situation (or maybe we do and I just missed it) I do believe the situation varies from person to person. As has been said, I too know people in college who couldn't find their ass with a road map and four hands. I have also known plenty of teens who were very, very mature for their age, and this is acting with intellegience and wisdom and making wise decisions kind of maturity.

Regardless I feel that in general, and although it may very well vary from person to person, that 16 is too young for making those kinds of choices, regardless if the 16 year old is male or female. I know plenty of adults who'd cheer the 16 year old guy on if he had sex with a 22 year old, but are horrified at the thought of a 16 year old girl having sex with a 22 year old guy. I don't think it matters.

For whatever reason the age of consent being 18 here, I agree with it. It IS the legal age to vote, buy firearms (well, rifles, not counting muzzle loaders and antique firearms that may or may not be muzzle loaders. Age to own a pistol is 21) and be legally recognized as an adult. I see no reason why the age of consent shouldn't be 18 partly just because of that.

On the other hand just how different is having a relationship with a younger person?

While I do view having a relationship with someone and having sex with someone as two totally different things, I also recognize that as you have a relationship with someone then most likely the urge to have sex with them will probably grow stronger, and so the threat is almost the same.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

To the dawrin effect: Weed 'em out. And someone make a cat pic for that o.O;

Politicians: Selfritous burdens like most laywers and lobbyist. See references, South Park, the News, Fox News Channel, Law and Order SVU, CSI

As for the teacher reference in Vyuru's post: Onegai Sensei is epic for that scenerio
                    Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                      And that reason is, teenagers and children are not considered on average, to be ready to make these kind of decisions. It protects them from exploitation, and hopefully saves them from emotional hardships.
                      Laws based on the average are unjust to the non-average. And I think you're giving entirely too much credit to the legislators' *claimed* intent.

IMO, one of the main reasons parents and churches want to interfere with sex is that a lover becomes a rival, taking up time and attention that could have gone to the parents/church and weakening their influence over that person. Parents usually eventually let go (although perhaps later than would really be good for their children) but the church can become a lifelong captor for some people, preventing them from finding real love and substituting the imagined love of a made-up supernatural being.
                      Personally I believe the laws are poorly reasoned, and don't make enough allowances for individual circumstances (especially here in Ohio, where anything vaguely sexual is legislated within an inch of it's life). But I do believe that there was, at least at some point, and still is, to a certain extent, an intent to do good with them.
                      Ah yes, good intentions. What could possibly go wrong? Weren't you the one pointing out a page ago how modern parents "protect" their children into prolonged immaturity?

I think the issue should be left up to individual teens and their parents, and all the control freaks who want to pass laws regulating who other people can have sex with should DIAF. Sure some people will screw up. Then they'll go on with their lives. That's going to happen whether it happens at 16, 18 or 25.
                      Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                      RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                      All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

preventing them from finding real love and substituting the imagined love of a made-up supernatural being
                        Not that I necessarily disagree, but damn.
                        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Is this a bot
                          this exact thread was posted on
                          Thecomatorium.com forums
                          lawl
                          if someones said this already
                          i didnt read the whole thread
                          ill go look for the coma link
                          http://www.thecomatorium.com/forum/i...5&st=0&start=0

now i understand he can post on both boards
                          I do.
                          and Eriatarka from here is level42swordmaster on the comatorium
                          but
                          lolnonetheless
                          Last edited by 711rocks; 10-01-2007, 11:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

fk yes

Comment

I don't feel like talking about this issue anymore, because I'm tired of people putting words in my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya View Post
                              IMO, one of the main reasons parents and churches want to interfere with sex is that a lover becomes a rival, taking up time and attention that could have gone to the parents/church and weakening their influence over that person. Parents usually eventually let go (although perhaps later than would really be good for their children) but the church can become a lifelong captor for some people, preventing them from finding real love and substituting the imagined love of a made-up supernatural being.
                              I'm a very pious person, so this paragraph offends me. That's all I'll say on the subject, though.

I personally belive that true love is the only infinite thing in the universe. It can't be "divided," and one can't truly love one thing more than the other. With true, untainted love, there is no such thing as "competition."

However, while I may be slightly altruistic, I still acknowledge that humans are taint. People corrupt everything they get their hands on, including love, and while corruption isn't infinite, it still hurts on a deeply emotional scale. I won't go in to any specific examples, but I hope my symbolism still comes through.

As I said earlier, I'll withold my specific opinions on the OP. But don't go around atacking religion on forums like that. I'll admit, sometimes the only thing keeping me devout to God is a logic that boils down to Pascal's Wager, and I'm pretty sure everybody else has their hard times, but, end the end, it becomes more than that. If God is nothing more than a personification of love, so be it, but know that it is people who become corrupt, not love itself. So, don't attack a religion just because you don't like somebody in it: you'll hurt everybody else.

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                              I don't feel like talking about this issue anymore, because I'm tired of people putting words in my mouth. Words.
                              Kind of like that?

But, yeah, I don't like people putting words in your mouth, either.
                              Originally posted by Armando
                              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                              Originally posted by Armando
                              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                              Originally posted by Taskmage
                              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                              Originally posted by Taskmage
                              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                              Matthew 16:15

Comment

I still acknowledge that humans are taint. People corrupt everything they get their hands on, including love, and while corruption isn't infinite, it still hurts on a deeply emotional scale.
                                I slightly disagree here. I would not say that humans are taint, I would say that humans can be misguided and given the wrong impression much of the time.

A somewhat interesting short story that has helped me to define for myself what is love would be Love, by Guy de Maupassant.

I personally belive that true love is the only infinite thing in the universe. It can't be "divided," and one can't truly love one thing more than the other. With true, untainted love, there is no such thing as "competition."
                                It's funny, I have been, or at least think I was in love with someone, perhaps it was merely infatuation because what I felt for Jennifer is no where near what I am starting to feel for this other person, who shall remain nameless in case she and or family members read this board, and I have many hurdles to cross before I can tell her how I feel, yet I may have found true love where I was not looking for it. I feel for her what I have only felt for music, it feels like a part of my soul that was ripped away from me is back, and I feel complete. It goes deeper and is more complex than that, but that is the best that I can describe it and it is what I feel for her.

And after getting called away from the computer for a bloody hour and a half while I'm trying to write I've forgotten where I was going with the above paragraph >.< I'm sure it would have been an inspiring life changing message for people though

I think I was going to say that I don't know Yellow Mage. I know you can feel very strongly for someone, but is that really love? I don't know. I do know that what I am I starting to feel for this particular person is something I have never felt for any other person I have ever met though.
                                Woohoo! C'mon double post!

Interesting link to Pascal's Wager, but I disagree with it. I could be completely wrong, but it is my belief that whether or not you believe in God, so long as you lead a decent life you won't nessacerily be damned for all eternity. I also think just what IS Hell is debatable from what I hear most people say it is, but that's for another thread.

Laws based on the average are unjust to the non-average. And I think you're giving entirely too much credit to the legislators' *claimed* intent.
                                But, in a nutshell, that is the problem with Democracy, it's not a perfect system but is there really a better system out there?

I think the issue should be left up to individual teens and their parents, and all the control freaks who want to pass laws regulating who other people can have sex with should DIAF. Sure some people will screw up. Then they'll go on with their lives. That's going to happen whether it happens at 16, 18 or 25.
                                The laws aren't there IMO to keep people from screwing up, it's to keep the sexual predators away from the kids.

Good lord, there was one man I know that I simply loathed, words cannot express how much I detested this man with every fiber of my being. Quite frankly, for him the younger and more scared he could get the better and nothing mattered so long as it was female.

It is from that kind of people that these laws SHOULD be in place. I think the issue could be open to debate assuming mutual consent and the younger person being mature, not to put to fine a finger on it, I have met VERY few women who are mature at 25, most of the ones I have met are out shopping, partying until 3am, and racking up debt without a care because their husband will take care of them, when they choose to settle down eventually and start looking at us *nice men you bring home to meet your folks* with interest vs disdain.

Ok, time to get off my chocobo
                                Last edited by Vyuru; 10-01-2007, 07:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X