This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Movie Reviews **NO SPOILERS**

I thought of it more as Star Wars, Firefly and Mass Effect in a barroom brawl. It was a damn good time.

Comment

• Re: New Movie Reviews **NO SPOILERS**

Saw Mortdecai the other day out of a lack of anything better to do (literally, I'd have been abandoned in a movie theater park-and-ride lot for hours either way). Almost had the theater to myself, even.

Anyway, first thing's first: if you're a fan of Johnny Depp, go see it. Otherwise, it's a nifty blend of the comedy, caper, and mystery genres that left me pleasantly surprised. The title character is basically Redd from Animal Crossing as played by Johnny Depp. The plot revolves around a missing and allegedly legendary painting, stolen out from under the freshly-murdered hands of the person performing restoration on it, and subject to a 30 gambit pileup over the duration of the movie as the Mortdecai couple independently endeavor (one more competently than the other--think Penny and Inspector Gadget) to relocate the missing painting, for the sake of the financial solvency of their estate as well as British national security. If you're clever, it isn't particularly difficult to work out the details of what happened to the painting, but the movie is fast-paced enough to never leave you bored with a conclusion.

The movie dabbles in a couple of outdated character standards, archetypes, and tropes (another character is called a "nympho," even though Mortdecai's personal manservant and thug is the only character shown having a ridiculous--or indeed, any--amount of sex), and the movie itself probably doesn't stand up to more thorough critical analysis, but if for whatever ungodly reason someone is forcing you to see a movie this part of the year? You can certainly do worse than this.
      Last edited by Yellow Mage; 02-01-2015, 10:25 AM.
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Working...
      X