This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Movie Reviews **NO SPOILERS**

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse just came up on Netflix - by far the best DCU animated film they've put out so far and that's good because they picked one of the best stories from the Superman/Batman series, which is the contemporary Supergirl origin story.

No, wait, come back, its actually a mondo badass story. As the title implies Darksied and Apokalips are major parts of the movie. Wonder Woman, Artemis, Big Barda, the Amazons, the Furies, Granny Goodness and Doomsday are also in it. Kevin Conroy as Bats, Tim Daly as Supes and Summer Glau as Supergirl. I only know Glau from the Terminator TV series, but she does a really good job (I just wish she had ad libbed "Thank you for explaining" somewhere.")

This movie quite easily has the best action I've seen in an animated DC flick and was a real treat to watch. Its not just a bunch of punches that cut away. They really thrown down in these fights and you see how ballsy Batman and Supergirl can get, particularly considering the baddies, Batman's just a bit outmatched here. Its all well-planned stuff, though it can get borderline DBZ on you toward the end.

Batman: Under the Red Hood was good, but not quite as good as this one.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 12-29-2010, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
      ....I only know Glau from the Terminator TV series....

Batman: Under the Red Hood was good, but not quite as good as this one.
      Go thee to Netflix and watch the Firefly series, then rent/buy Serenity. I'm not saying it's the bestest most awesome thing you will ever see, but you will be glad you spent the time on it.

I thought Under the Red Hood was really good, so I am looking forward to Apocalypse.
      "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

I have Firefly and Serenity in my queue, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Comment

Started watching Firefly earlier this week

If someone had told me it was basically a Star Trek/Cowboy Bebop mashup where the federation were the bad guys and that the captain was a total douchebag, I probably would have watched it sooner. On Episode 5 now.

Its not exactly what springs to mind when I think of sci-fi, but kinda like Cowboy Bebop its a concept of the future that seems more realistic than most. No flying cars and sliver pants, just life as we knew it before - only with space-faring vessels. It also has that "easy come, easy go" theme.

Glau gets an interesting character, as usualy, she's a bit Rainman meets Silent Bob. Usually just totally random, but she eventually says something absolutely coherent and true once an episode.

Good classy casting all around, too. Enjoying it a lot.
          Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 01-16-2011, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Excellent.

Anyone catch The Cape last week? Glau's character is a little different than her usual. I'm not sure I'm going to like this series. Will watch tonight to see if it starts to take me somewhere I want to go.
            "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Finished Firefly and Serenity. Good stuff.

Sad about the characters that died, but what really bugged me about it was that it was exact characters I figured would die.

Serenity and the Terminator TV series seem to show Glau as a really good action star. She's good as an actress, don't get me wrong, but her background as a dancer helps so much with fight scenes its amazing they waited until the movie to really showcase that.

Now on to the next series Joss Whedon came up with and got canceled - Dollhouse.

And sometime tomorrow, I'll watch the third in "The Girl" Trilogy

With a Dragon Tattoo.
              Who played with Fire.
              Also, she seems to have now kicked a hornet's nest.

Netflix - it makes Americanized remakes of foreign films totally pointless.
              Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 01-25-2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

On my Valentine's Day, I went to go watch a movie all on my lonesome. I had originally intended to watch The Green Hornet, but I did not want to see it in 3-D. Personally, I don't see 3-D is anything more than gimmicky and, in my case, actually detracts from my enjoyment of watching. Least of all because it can be headache inducing.

The Green Hornet- Of course, a movie theater near me finally began showing the movie in non 3-D. From its opening night until now, it has actually gotten a lot of negative critic reviews. Now, personally, I like to give critics credit beyond the whole attitude that they are somehow not in-tune with popular opinion. So I was worried I wouldn't enjoy this. Pity because this is Jay Chou's Hollywood debut and I wanted it to be good. Thankfully, I actually rather enjoyed it. I was entertained rather than annoyed. The Green Hornet is pretty much a Seth Rogen buddy movie with crime fighting elements. It doesn't take its original roots too seriously though and is mostly concerned with taking typical superhero conventions and poking them with sticks.

Although, I do have to say the movie might as well have been called "Kato and That White Guy in the Green Suit". Supposedly, the people behind the movie had no idea Jay Chou had a lot of star power when they cast him, but I'm going to call BS because it's clear he was given all the best parts of the movie. He's only arguably the biggest pop star in Asia for about a decade now.
                sigpic

Comment

Just watched the new and old Karate Kid movies (not the "Next" one, though).

It was pretty much the same movie, the original was just paced a little better, but the newer one had some interesting embellishments

I was actually impressed with Jackie Chan's Mr. Han, though. Both Han and Miyagi have many similarities, but Han was a bit more haggard-looking and emotionally broken and it was different to see Jackie Chan in such a serious role. All the movies I've seen him in have a bit more slapstick humor within the kung fu action.

But really, both are pretty standard fare. When you think about it, Drunken Master is more or less the same movie:

Undisciplined youth gets into trouble with thugs/bullies and is taken in and trained by a master. The youth is subjected to all manner of chores he doesn't understand the value of - he just thinks the old fart is using him. Then one day he throws a fit and his master shows him he's been learning the fundamentals of a martial art. The youth pursues his training with renewed dedication and overcomes his problem.

I've just described all three movies - except one movie the protagonist has to get smashed to do his martial art.
                  Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 02-20-2011, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Just got back from seeing I Am Number Four with my girlfriend.

It was pretty decent. The story isn't anything revolutionary and some elements are a bit predictable, but for the most part I enjoyed watching it. It's clear they brute forced the love story aspect of it to appeal to teenage girls, but there is enough of the other, more important stuff going on that it doesn't completely ruin the film.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Following up the Karate Kid stuff.

I forgot how much better of a movie Karate Kid II was, probably because I was a kid with no frame of reference at the time. I was young and didn't really understand the history of Okinawa at the time. I just thought, "Wow, Japan has a lot of Americans in it" not even wondering why we had an army base there and all.

I was just wondering how Sato could be so mad at someone for 45 years and why his nephew had to be such a prick.

Comment

Take Me Home Tonight- I took the time to see Take Me Home Tonight. When I first saw the trailers, it looked irreverently hilarious and slapstick. It looked like it would be a party of a movie with beer, sex, and cocaine and everybody's invited.

Instead, I was only fleetingly amused by it. The movie is so faithful to the trailers that the commercials pretty much give away the whole movie.

I can't call it the worst movie I've ever seen, because it's too boring for that as it moseys along from one scene to another, without ever building even the slightest sense of urgency. In other words, it doesn't feel like much of a party at all. And despite having characters that, allegedly, were nerdy bookworms prior to the story, it's like Take Me Home Tonight is devoid of a single intelligent life form.

There's a disabled guy who makes ironic wheelchair jokes. He's funny. And that's about it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Nintendo 3DS got a 3D trailer of Green Lantern.

I had been worried about the movie based off the initial villain they had shown off - that big-headed dude (I never remember his name) - but the new trailer is sporting Parallax as the main big bad.

Makes sense, particularly if:

Spoiler if you don't know anything about Green Lantern comics

the trailer seems to make a reasonable case to see it in 3D. Given a Green Lantern movie would need tons of CG to work anyway, the 3D can only benefit from that. I'm stoked to see it regardless, particularly now that I've seen it hits on the themes Geoff Johns wrote into the series when he rebooted Hal Jordan and the GL Corp.

Comment

^ fair warning, they DO spoil the movie. Posting this for people who just want to laugh at MB, though it's almost too fucking sad to mock.
                            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Not a movie or a review, just thought I'd point it out:

Star Trek: TOS, TNG, Voyager and the Star Trek that doesn't count are all on Netflix now.

NO DS9 yet, though, which is a shame as that's the one I wanted the most. I'm sure that will be fixed in the next few weeks.

TV, I don't need you anymore.

Comment

I'm watching this, I'm sooo watching this:

sigpic
                                "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                                Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                                X