This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Movie Reviews **NO SPOILERS**

Decided to do one more for now, since that will have covered all the Thai films I've seen so far, though I definitely intend to see more. Some on my list are Dear Galileo, 5 Phrang (Phobia 2) the sequel to 4bia, and maybe one day Tears of the Black Tiger.

Rak Haeng Siam ("Love of Siam")- Love of Siam is often credited by people the last few years as their first exposure to Thai pop films. Part of the buzz was credited to its intentionally misleading marketing (think Bridge to Terabithia kind of misleading). Initially, it was marketed a fluffy, summer teen romance flick.

Love of Siam begins with young Tong and Mew. Mew is a stubborn child that is picked on one day in the bathroom at school and Tong saves him from the bullies. After that, they are best friends. One day, Tong's family is taken on a short business trip. Tong's sister, Tang, does not wish to go on their trip and instead to join her friends on a camping trip. Their father, Korn, lets her, despite protest from their mother, Sunee. Her friends are separated from Tang some time during the trip and nobody is able to find her. In grief, Tong's family movies away, ending his and Mew's short friendship.

In senior year of high school, Tong and Mew meet again in Siam Square. Mew is now the singer and songwriter of a band, August. Mew has a neighbor, Ying. Ying has unrequited affections for Mew. Tong has a girlfriend he is slowly growing distant from because of his troubled home life. Korn continues to blame himself for letting Tang vacation with her friends, and drowns his sorrows in booze every day. Sunee is beginning to feel the pressure of having to provide for and hold the family together all on her own. To add to Tong's confusion, Mew is starting to show feelings for Tong that are not mere friendship.

There's a lot the marketing people didn't tell the audience, which I brought up in the second paragraph of my description of the movie. The movie is not just about teenage relationships. It is also a family drama, and also follows the friendship between the various characters. Oh, and if you caught the last part, the teen couple of the movie is not a boy-girl couple. It's a pretty heavy movie, high on drama, no on comedy. Any attempt to describe the movie honestly betrays the impact and contemplation that many viewers experience after watching Love of Siam. My only complaint about it is that, clocking in at slightly under 3 hours long, it inevitably drags at some points.

I am posting 2 different places to buy it because each set has different pros and cons about them.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Love-Siam-Sinjai-Plengpanich/dp/B002HP4LH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257027081&sr=8-1"]Love of Siam at Amazon.com[/ame]
    Pros: Subtitles are better (I presume). The aspect is correct.
    Cons: This is the theatrical release, not the Directors cut, so you'd be missing out on some scenes that explain some things about the movie (they are not merely exposition material). Also, I don't own this myself, but by all indication, the set doesn't seem to have any Extras.

Love of Siam at YesAsia.com
    Pros: Directors Cut release. This set has all the extras of the original Thai release.
    Cons: The subtitles are not always good and some can only vaguely pass for English. But my biggest complaint is that the video is actually the wrong aspect ratio. It's fine to watch on the computer because my computer can fix the aspect ratio, but my DVD player cannot (I think some can, but mine can't).
    sigpic

Comment

After a week or 2 of thread resuscitation, it seems I must share again. But before I do...

Has anybody seen Precious? I thought about watching it, but I want to hear it from other people first if it's worth traveling 3 towns over just to see. It's not showing at any local theaters in my area. Or what about Pirate Radio?

If You Are the One- The first film in China to outgross Titanic ($50 million vs $47 million) is a subdued, low-key romantic comedy. I don't remember where I read about it, but it is worth its time in 2 hours.

Fourty-something year old Qin Fen is a bald, prospectless bachelor who suddenly strikes it rich when he sells a proposterous invention patent to a naive investor. With money troubles out of the way, Qin sets out to find a wife and does so by posting an internet personal. Qin seeks a traditional (but not too traditional) Chinese woman and describes himself as a "Three Strikes" kind of guy: No company, no stocks, no degree. The woman must not resemble Angelina Jolie, to avoid mutual disappointment. What follows is a string of blind dates with eccentrics. One date is with a flight attendant named Liang "Smiley" Xiaoxiao. She reveals she is secretly dating a married man and she is clearly out of Qin Fen's league. The two agree that they are not meant for each other. But they are also not quite able to bid each other farewell. What follows is Smiley cheering and jeering at Qin's blind dates, a tense confrontation with Smiley's clandestine love interest, and a tourist's fantasy trip through Hokkaido in Japan.

I liked If You Are the One, though I'm not sure why it would outgross a film like Titanic since it is hardly an event movie of any sort. There is no computer generated ocean liner, but some of the visuals are certainly beautiful, especially of Hokkaido. The movie resists falling into melodrama- the two leads don't even kiss, with all the contemplations of adult relationships played out in dialogue. Much of the humor, mostly revolving around the eccentric blind dates, is intelligent. Though, political snark is also fair game and there is one particular below-the-belt jab at a certain country's methods for selecting a white or a black president. If nothing else, a few years from now, at least we'll know exactly when If You Are the One took place.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/If-You-Are-One-Ge/dp/B0029ZUQBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1258552609&sr=8-1"]If You Are the One at Amazon.com[/ame]
      Region 1 with English/Chinese Subtitles
      sigpic

Comment

Pirate Radio

Best film for me this year. Sorry if I'm not sticking to this thread's guidelines, this movie just did it for me, its like sex in picture format, somewhat.
        signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Ketaru View Post
          Go to the movie thread and tell me more about Pirate Radio.
          It is good and awesome. It has 80's music. It's on a boat (m*th*rf*ck*r!!!) it says Pirate on the title.

Meh
          signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Ninja Assassin

Went to see this a few days ago and forgot to post. If you are a ninja fan, you'll love this movie and will want to see it in the theater. If you are just a guy you'll like this movie and want to rent it. If you are a girly girl, you'll just squeal and be annoying so please do NOT watch this movie with someone who actually wants to see it.

The movie is bloody, gory, and full of lots of cool fighting. The story is predictible and the acting falls flat sometimes. I got to see it free (was visiting a friend that owns a theater) so I enjoyed the movie but if I had to pay to see it, I'd want to wait till it was at a budget theater or on dvd/blu. I really enjoyed the opening sequence and the rest of the movie was pretty fast paced. I only looked at my cell once for the time. I think if they would have had a bit more wry humor in it that it could have become a cult classic eventually. So....

Theatre rating (for a guy that loves ninjas): B
            Theatre rating (for any guy): C
            Theatre rating (for any girly girl): F- ...please do us all a favor and leave your little squealy ass at home

Rental rating (for a guy that loves ninjas): A
            Rental rating (for any guy): C+ (could work as a at home date movie since she'll be snuggling up and burying her head into you during fight scenes....thats if you can put up with the annoying squeals but please do NOT take her to the theatre for this one...for the love of god spare the rest of us!)

Rental rating (for any girly girl): F ...I only went up a notch because you'll still be a god damn annoying squealer but you'll be at home and not annoying me.....oh and you might like the scenes where the main character has his shirt off if you are into Japanese guys
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Anyone going to see Princess and the Frog?

Comment

Ninja Assassin:

Meh... Let down greatly... Keep guns out of a ninja movie!!!! Some good fight scenes, that's it... Wait for it to come out on dvd to rent.
                75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                RANK 10 Bastok
                CoP: Done
                ZM: Done
                ToA: Done
                Assault rank: Captain
                Campaign Medal: Medals
                Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
                  Keep guns out of a ninja movie!!!!
                  I haven't seen this movie, but . . .
                  Originally posted by Armando
                  No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                  Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                  GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                  However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                  Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                    Keep automatic assault rifles out of ninja movies!!! I want to see cool ninja moves and martial arts, not someone shooting someone in the back with an automatic machine gun!!!!

there, ftfy.
                    RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Fair enough, I guess.
                      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                        I haven't seen this movie, but . . .
                        I see that and raise you this after watching an anime where Samurai show you why Samurai's don't use guns (7 Samurai) I watch an anime where Samurai use guns... I mean seriously they didn't even hardly use katana blades. These samurai were basically Ninjas Assassins with guns...

Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
                        Keep automatic assault rifles out of ninja movies!!! I want to see cool ninja moves and martial arts, not someone shooting someone in the back with an automatic machine gun!!!!
                        Agreed

Spoilers
                        Last edited by TheGrandMom; 12-28-2009, 09:25 PM.
                        {New Sig in the works}
                        -----------------------
                        "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                        "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                        Originally posted by Solymir
                        What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post

Spoilers
                          agreed!

and now tonight, off to see New Moon! I liked the first one, and i heard this one was good too.
                          Last edited by TheGrandMom; 12-28-2009, 09:24 PM.
                          RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Not going out to see any movie today, since it's snowing pretty bad out. On the other hand, I just got God Man Dog in the mail today and finished watching it.

God Man Dog- As I described in the "Official Bored at Work/just shooting the shit/no rails to derail thread", this is a drama comedy multi-narrative film exploring the intersection of class struggle and religion. Most of God Man Dog is very low-key and quiet with some light humorous breaks between scenes that range from charming to frustrating. A broad way to describe the format of the film would be that it is along the lines of the Thai high school/college romantic comedy Hormones, which I recommended earlier in the thread. Or, more well known, Love Actually, but without the pop Christmas songs. All of the stories described begin separately but slowly begin to weave together.

Story 1- A-Xiong and Ching are new parents and Ching is suffering from post-partum depression which begins to drive the two of them apart as A-Xiong is unable to relate to his wife. The couple's troubles reach boiling point when their child dies of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Ching finds Christianity while A-Xiong remains Buddhist.
                            Story 2- A Catholic Taiwanese aborigine, Biung, loses faith as he fails to combat his alcoholism and feels that his prayers are unheard. Biung and his wife Mei are waiting for their daughters to come home, after being somewhat distant from them due to Biung's alcoholism.
                            Story 3- Biung and Mei's daughter, Savi, is training to be a boxer (or a "San da" fighter) to raise money for her family and to buy a gift for her little sister's birthday. She expresses some frustration at her friend, Xiao-han, who is a part-time model. Xiao-han begins to rope Savi into some of her money making schemes.
                            Story 4- Niu Jiao (subtitled as "Yellow Bull") is a one legged truck driver who travels around collecting discarded religious idols and has a hobby of restoring and repairing them. One such idol, in fact, was a Buddha discarded by Ching after she converted to Christinity. He also spends a lot of time feeding stray dogs while on the road. Yellow Bull makes money by renting out his idols to local festivals and is saving up to buy a new prosthetic leg.
                            Story 5- Xian is a teenage vagabond who travels around Taiwan by stowing away in the luggage compartment of buses. He gets by in life by enrolling in eating contests and selling the prizes for cash, as well as raiding the belongings that get placed alongside him in luggage compartments. He is taken in by Yellow Bull and the two form a strange father-son dynamic.

Like many viewers of God Man Dog, I'm still not quite sure what the message of the movie was supposed to be. It ends somewhat suddenly without definite resolution. The way the various storylines begin to come together is almost too convenient. Though, some of the themes of the movie are much clearer: the commodifying of modern day Buddhism, the conversion to Christianity in Taiwan, the different ways people view and try to solve their problems.

God Man Dog spends a whole lot of time, at first, being depressing in the way only art films often are. Nothing funnier, after all, than Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Things pick up a little halfway through the film when the various characters begin trying to solve their problems and a little humor is introduced: Savi and Xiao-han steal money from men via a BSDM prostitution scam, and Xian's talent for shoveling food down his cavernous maw betrays his otherwise gaunt appearance. There are also a lot of dogs randomly running throughout several scenes of the film.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/lang-shen-NON-USA-FORMAT-Reg-2/dp/B002PNS4ZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1260046228&sr=8-1"]God Man Dog at Amazon.com (Region 2 PAL format)[/ame]
                            God Man Dog at YesAsia (Region 3 NTSC)
                            sigpic

Comment

So would you recommend seeing God Man Dog? as i said earlier love, actually was one of my favorite movies the year it came out. Which is better?
                              RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

They're only similar in terms of format: Many different storylines of characters that share seemingly superficial relationships with each other gradually converge.

I can't really recommend God Man Dog simply based on the fact you liked Love Actually because they are still very different films. God Man Dog is more, shall we say, "artsy" social commentary. It's not a crowd pleasing holiday film. I recommended a movie much earlier in the thread called Hormones which would actually be more relevant. Similar format, except that the stories never converge, but it is much more like Love Actually, only instead of Christmas, it takes place during the summer and is about high schoolers and college students. The difference is only further emphasized by the fact Hormones is heavily driven by a pop/rock soundtrack, while God Man Dog really only has a soundscore.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X