This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Movie Reviews **NO SPOILERS**

So...my friend wants to see something in theaters and he wants me to choose between 2 movies:

Book of Eli and Edge of Darkness

Comments?
    sigpic

Comment

Not Book of Eli! Go with Edge of Darkness. I was hoping for alot more from Book of Eli... It's worth watching, but imo it's a renter...
      75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
      RANK 10 Bastok
      CoP: Done
      ZM: Done
      ToA: Done
      Assault rank: Captain
      Campaign Medal: Medals
      Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
      This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Both seem to have the same bland plots to them. You can pretty well figure out what each one holds. Personally, I've seen Book of Eli and not Edge of Darkness so I'd go for Edge....but only if I HAD to go to the movies to see one or the other. I'd rather wait for both to be rentals.
        Originally posted by Feba
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        Originally posted by DakAttack
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I didn't even know a damn thing about Book of Eli until I chose to go to the movies on a whim today. I don't watch tons and tons of movies and TV, but I've been on a post-apocalyptic game/movie kick of late.

And when this movie started, I found out it was post-apoc, so I'm still par for course on that theme.

Digital Devil Saga
          Digital Devil Saga 2
          I Am Legend
          Terminator Salvation
          The Book of Eli

At the very least, I liked it better than I Am Legend and TS (though I don't think TS was as bad as people said). I guess you could say I liked it because it dealt with humans and not Angels, Demons, Zombies, Robots or Mutants for once. It dealt with the destabalization of society a bit better than most post-apoc movies do.

Also, casting Tom Waits in any movie scores like 100 points with me. Its always a small part with him, but he's fucking awesome.

The world ends again in my most anticipated game so far this year, SMT: Strange Journey, which lands next month.

Comment

From Paris With Love

Ok I grew up with "Vinny Barbarino" and have always loved John Travolta since so I am trying to be neutral. Recently, some of his movies have definitely been forgettable. When I went in, I just remember thinking to myself....this better not suck. My son was so hyped over this movie and as a mother you don't want your kids to be disappointed....no matter what age they are! So fingers crossed and trying not to picture Vinny on the screen, in I went.

WELL GOOD LORD!!! You don't have to worry about Travolta reminding you of Barbarino! Until he spoke, I didn't even know it was him! He looks downright evil....like the devil! lol There was great chemistry between the two leading men (Travolta & Rhys Meyers). It was a "buddy" movie and I think it was done well. It had humor, it had action, it had a decent story, and it had Barb....err Travolta looking like the devil! What more could you ask for when looking for something fun to watch? I even think you could drag your wife or g/f to this and she wouldn't mind....well not too much anyways.

Theatre rating: a solid B

Rental rating: A
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Anyone see Inception yet? Looking to go see it tomorrow. Dunno if I've seen anything of Christopher Nolan's outside of his Batman movies, but it really looked interesting.

Comment

I saw it, but I doubt I can give a spoiler free review on it.

I think the people who did the Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and Musical Score did a spectacular job and deserve awards! Special effects were sweet especially the hallway scene, OMG! I'm sorry, but Cillian Murphy looks like the Scarecrow in every movie he plays now . I wish only that I had saw the movie in IMAX so I could've further enjoyed the sounds a little more. I was also happy that it wasn't in 3-D, but on the same note, why the heck wasn't it ! I didn't even realize until today that not only did Nolan direct the movie, but he also produced and wrote it. The movie requres that you pay attention to it, but it doesn't require as much extreme attention as I thought it would. Most people should be able to grasp the concept pretty easily.

TL;DR If you liked: The Matrix (Original), Dark City, Batman: Begins, Shutter Island, or Batman:TDK, you should see this movie.
                {New Sig in the works}
                -----------------------
                "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                Originally posted by Solymir
                What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Predators was OK. It could have been really great, but the plot just goes all to hell about 3/4 through and Lawrence Fishburn's character was just awful. What the fuck man, Ridley Scott usually does a much better job of things than this. Most of the movie was dynamite but there were just a few scenes that ruined it sadly, especially the ending which was cheap and left it open for a sequel. That's about all I can say without spoiling anything.

Death at a Funeral was hilarious LOVED IT! Kinda gross at one point but otherwise a great movie. Not the funniest flick I've ever seen, but it had it's good share of moments and a stellar cast. Definitely worth seeing, don't listen to any naysayers ranting about how the English (British) version is better; they're both very good. This is one case where "Americanization" was done well.
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                    Ridley Scott usually does a much better job of things than this.
                    Can we throw this one in with Robin Hood then? I'm still disappoint at that.
                    {New Sig in the works}
                    -----------------------
                    "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

"Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.

Comment

Ridley Scott usually does a much better job of things than this
                      Well, considering Scott wasn't involved with Predators at all, its interesting you associate him with it. His movie this summer was Robin Hood, he's working on a 3D prequel to Alien now. Nimrod Antal (yes, this is a real name) directed Predators.

Comment

Inception

Matrix-y effects that are glorious! An intriguing story! Leonardo DiCaprio...ugh. Not a fan of his ugly puss. lol Ellen Page needs more acting lessons, she was a bit flat.

I enjoyed the movie and agree with Durah if you are a fan of this type of movie, definitely go see it. BUT...they could have cut out some of the middle of the movie and focused on what we were all there to see. It was like they started to do back story on the people, realized there were too many to do a good job of each, and so it was just a half assed attempt and really did nothing much for the movie. The making of the team could have been trimmed because the back story just didn't do much for the movie or for building an emotional attachment to any of the characters. So beginning is great and end is great but the middle is so-so. I usually judge it on how many times I look at my watch but for this one I damn near fell asleep in the middle.

Theatre Rating: a solid B but a B+ if you are a fan of similar types of movies

Rental Rating: B

Knight and Day

So, does anyone else have a hard time looking at Tom Cruise as a sane rational person like I do? lol But if you can put that behind you, Knight and Day is an extremely entertaining movie. You'll know the way it ends because its one of those feel good movies, but you won't care much because it makes you smile and laugh.

This movie is a hybrid guy action and chick flick. A great date movie for taking out the wife or g/f to. Cruise and Diaz have great chemistry in the movie. I loved her performance for 3/4 of the movie but towards the end she started to act a little too ditzy and unrealistic, looking at it from a womans point of view. Cruise did a great job and, though I hate to say it, he usually does. If you aren't a fan of a feel good movie then this is definitely a rental. Usually I do not go to see this type of movie in the theatre. I consider it a waste of money, but I will say I didn't mind wasting my money on this one. It's just that I had to get past that crazy nutjob persona I've built up for Cruise.

Theatre rating: another solid B

Rental rating: a definite A

Comment

"Nobody try to follow us, or I'll kill myself! And then Her!" Only thing I didn't like about Knight and Day was that "The Killers" came out like 2-3 weeks before it did and it looked exactly the same. Kinda glad I spent my money on Knight and Day though (Sorry Ashton )
                          {New Sig in the works}
                          -----------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                            Well, considering Scott wasn't involved with Predators at all, its interesting you associate him with it. His movie this summer was Robin Hood, he's working on a 3D prequel to Alien now. Nimrod Antal (yes, this is a real name) directed Predators.
                            WTF I could have sworn I saw his name on there (or maybe I"m just thinking of the original 2 movies, probably the case)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                              WTF I could have sworn I saw his name on there (or maybe I"m just thinking of the original 2 movies, probably the case)
                              Ridley Scott directed Alien
                              James Cameron directed Aliens
                              David Fincher directed Alien 3

Predator was directed by John Tiernan, he is also known for the first Die Hard and Hunt for the Red October. He is also known for lying to the FBI in the 2007 Hollywood wiretapping scandal and will be sentenced this Octoboer.

Predator 2 was directed by Stephen Hopkins.

Comment

I know there's a connection between the two series, I thought Scott was behind both?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X