X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FFXIV BETA Test Application has begun

Originally posted by fairyoracle75 View Post
    Stuff.
    I hope you realise the art direction between those comparisons you tried to make are completely different.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Comment

I've signed up for the beta, and I'm hopeful, but I agree with most of TheGrandMom's points.

I don't care at all about recycled artwork, to be honest; a certain amount of familiarity is fine, and if they recycle some things, well, it's Final Fantasy, and it's to be expected to a certain extent.

What I'm looking for is gameplay innovation, and we just don't know enough about how any of it will play out, but what little has been confirmed doesn't seem revolutionary. They seem like they've learned some of the Thou Shalt Nots from developing FFXI, but it remains to be seen whether they can come up with a functional system that works around all of the stuff they've confirmed does NOT work (overly restrictive skillchaining, forcing players at gunpoint to play together, free-for-all-enemy battles, crafting items that don't feed back into an item ecosystem, etc.).

I hope I am pleasantly surprised, but am fearful that I won't be.

Icemage

Comment

I hope you realise the art direction between those comparisons you tried to make are completely different.
        My post wasn't art direction nor has anything else in this thread. The point is all of FFXI character designs are somewhat familiar and conform to a certain style directed by SE regardless of who or how it is directed. Sort of the way I hear people complaining that all the Disney characters look alike in some ways regardless who was the art director of each film. It looks like Disney because its Disney. FF looks like FF because its FF. People are complaining that FFXVI will basically recycle the same looking models and my point is what Icemage said:

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
        I don't care at all about recycled artwork, to be honest; a certain amount of familiarity is fine, and if they recycle some things, well, it's Final Fantasy, and it's to be expected to a certain extent.
        If that game is enjoyable I'm not going to quibble about graphics and if anything is recycled since FF does that alot. I'm waiting to actually see what the game is like before trying to dissect it.

Asura Server

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
          What I'm looking for is gameplay innovation, and we just don't know enough about how any of it will play out, but what little has been confirmed doesn't seem revolutionary. They seem like they've learned some of the Thou Shalt Nots from developing FFXI, but it remains to be seen whether they can come up with a functional system that works around all of the stuff they've confirmed does NOT work (overly restrictive skillchaining, forcing players at gunpoint to play together, free-for-all-enemy battles, crafting items that don't feed back into an item ecosystem, etc.).

I hope I am pleasantly surprised, but am fearful that I won't be.
          *GASP*

/em runs to check her meds to make sure she didn't take too many and is hallucinating... lol

I feel the same way. I hope I'm wrong because I want every FF to be a blockbuster and loved by millions...its the fangirl in me.
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

My post wasn't art direction nor has anything else in this thread
            It plays a huge part on the style and consistency of the art, therefor it was. In fact, I would question what you think 'art direction' is based purely on your statement alone.

The point is all of FFXI character designs are somewhat familiar and conform to a certain style directed by SE regardless of who or how it is directed. Sort of the way I hear people complaining that all the Disney characters look alike in some ways regardless who was the art director of each film. It looks like Disney because its Disney. FF looks like FF because its FF.
            The point I am making is that the characters from FFXI look nothing like Tidus or Yuna; you might be able to twist the opinion that they have similar hair styles, but ultimately they are different in style (considering the art director did not work on FFX, this makes sense); though perhaps as far as the general public are concerned they don't want to notice the differences. Yes, you can generally sum up the series into its own unique style just like with Disney, but that does not mean everything is rehashed between different teams of artists.

In either case, I don't really think that the similarities between FFXI and FFXIV are that much of a big deal for me that I wouldn't want to play. Still looks interesting.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Comment

It's a fair enough point that FF artwork is FF-y and it's the demands of an online system (namely, character looks customization that comes from visible gear) that make them seem so similar.

And yeah, gameplay is ultimately what I care about. But I know I would've got a lot more into FFXI if the world hadn't seemed so close to standard fantasy fare (though I do still feel they did a great job of making their fantasy world feel different).
              "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Re: BETA Test Application has begun

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                And yet I still find myself not caring in the slightest.
                Can't say the same for him..
                Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                *runs around in a panic* oh !$@# oh !$@# oh %#@$

I want to know when the PS3 app will start!
                A mans strength isn't measured by the size of his muscle, but by the size of his heart.

it's better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

R.I.P. Dura's Moms Hard Drive. 2002-2009 Gone, but not forgotten.

Your family must havehad a hen farm growin', up cause you sure know how to raise a cock

Comment

Originally posted by Pwnagraphic View Post
                  Can't say the same for him..

I want to know when the PS3 app will start!
                  Pretty sure this is for both the PC and PS3 versions, since I was given the option to choose which I would prefer to test for.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsikuro View Post
                    Pretty sure this is for both the PC and PS3 versions, since I was given the option to choose which I would prefer to test for.
                    The application is for both, you sign up now whether you want PS3 or PC, but PC beta starts first, and the PS3 comes later
                    Last edited by Kailea; 12-22-2009, 12:32 PM.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

WTF?!?!!?!?!? I read on something it was for PC version!!! Mother...
                      A mans strength isn't measured by the size of his muscle, but by the size of his heart.

Your family must havehad a hen farm growin', up cause you sure know how to raise a cock

Comment

The application is for both. One of the questions was which machine you would use to play the beta on, and I was able to click both. I can play on either, so why not let them know?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                          Honestly, I wouldn't mind having both . . .
                          Depending on how they do it, female Galka could actually be cool. They'd just be very muscular/amazonian. And since they don't have those weird lizard tails this time around might even look attractive O.O;

AND QUIT HATING ON MALE MITHRA! I don't care if I'm the only one here who wants it, you won't ever convince me otherwise. Ok yes, we all like to stare at some fine kitty booty, that's a given. But I'm one of those people who likes to project themselves with their avatar. In other words, I don't care for playing a female character no matter how pretty. But I also have an affinity for cats, and have seen some damn cool lion peoples before (like in MTG, holy crap the Leonin were cool, especially Raksha)

What harm does it do? Are you really that annoyed at the prospect of cat man that you won't play the game/boycott it?

As for my other comment, why not use the races from Ivalice, or at least a variant? If nothing else, let us play as a MOOGLE! It was cool that they were NPCs in XI, but why can't XIV have playable moogles? I think they did a really good job recreating them for Ivalice, so they can do it again. Using Vierra and Bangaa might not be terribly original but it'd still be cool and likely attract more people. I can't see the Seeqs or Nu Mou (how the hell do you spell that?) being all that popular though.

And yes, Bunnies & Kitties ftw. Do want Vierra on Mithra action RAWR! O. O (lulz)
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

If they make Male Mithra and Moogle playable... EVERYONE will be those. lol

I'd be a Moogle in a heartbeat.
                            signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by pixiehawk View Post
                              The application is for both. One of the questions was which machine you would use to play the beta on, and I was able to click both. I can play on either, so why not let them know?
                              I filled it out so it's all good. I just put down anything for my PC specs cause I don't know squat about it, and it's broken anyway.

Comment

My post wasn't art direction nor has anything else in this thread. The point is all of FFXI character designs are somewhat familiar and conform to a certain style directed by SE regardless of who or how it is directed. Sort of the way I hear people complaining that all the Disney characters look alike in some ways regardless who was the art director of each film. It looks like Disney because its Disney. FF looks like FF because its FF.
                                There's a difference between "it looks like FF" and "we have the exact same five races as the previous online FF we made, only one of them doesn't have an ugly tail anymore".

I mean, seriously, the same races have the same gender restrictions! It's like they're not even trying.

I really wish that they had made this game as the next FF installment... that would have set up one of the best, most accurate memes ever just by adding a hyphen:

FFXIII becomes FFXI-II

Centurio X-I 1/1 - Celphie 1/1 - Deadly Dodo 0/2 - Doppleganger Dio 0/1 - Jaggedy-eared Jack 0/7 - Joo Duzu the Whirlwind 1/1 - Leaping Lizzy 2/16 - Mimas 0/1 - Odqan 1/9 - Orcish Wallbreacher 0/1 - Ose 1/3 - Sagittarius X-XIII 1/1 - Serpopard Ishtar 3/6 - Silk Caterpillar 1/2 - Tom Tit Tat 0/2 - Trickster Kinetix 0/2 - Valkurm Emperor 6/10 - Wyvernpoacher Drachlox 1/1

Comment

Working...
                                X