Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: (JP) stream of the game.

Originally posted by Maju View Post
    They definitely need to implement a whole bunch of control options that were in FFXI but are missing in FFXIV. I think it's pretty worrisome that instead of improving on the controls from FFXI, they took major strides backwards. There is no key for targeting the nearest NPC, there is no secondary targeting and the regular TAB targeting is worse than in FFXI.

The chat box is impossible to manage properly. There is no way to stretch it over the entire screen like in FFXI and the only way to scroll it is by clicking at the scroll bar arrows with your mouse (the bar itself will scroll the text way too fast) which is slow and unresponsive like everything you might do with your mouse.
    Yes. Stuff like this is exactly what I was referring to above when I said the interface needs serious help. Just the simple acts of controlling your character and interacting with people / environments is so primitive even compared to FFXI.

I'm also not a fan of the "walk near /thing/" + "open your main menu and pick it from the list" business. Unintuitive? Yes. Clunky? Yes. Even simple acts like tagging crystals use this silly mechanic. Why couldn't they just have made it a simple interaction like FFXI's teleport crystals? Yeesh.

Icemage

Comment

If there's one thing I like about FFXI it's that its user interface is (mostly) efficient for doing things. Sure, there's annoying shit like spell lock, and it would be nice to have more lines in macros, etc., but in general it's pretty decent. Targeting stuff can be a real problem (especially when things spawn at the same coordinates like everyone over the Rune of Transference in Nyzul), but to hear FFXIV is worse about it isn't a good sign. If I could ask for one thing it would be for a key like F8 that only targets enemy NPCs.

It also lets you do stuff without having to mess with tabbing around to things and going through a zillion menus. I cast spells via touch-typing /ma commands almost as often as I use macros, and I'm real good at using <p1> - <p5> when I do so. And I can even do this while in auto-attack mode.

As far as I know, the FFXI UI now is basically the same as it was when FFXI was released, with only minor changes. The most major was probably expanding the number of macros.

My initial impression from seeing the first demos of FFXIV was that the UI was going to be crap, if not a total cluster, but I was willing to wait to see if it would get any better for beta. I still haven't seen any signs of improvement, though at least the stream shows me that the annoying constant CHIRP! CHIRP! CHIRP! of the targeting in alpha has been somehow made less annoying.

So is there even a command line mode at all in FFXIV yet? (Note that FFXI's macros are built on top of its command line mode.) I don't think this is something you can just slap on in a couple of weeks.

Also, when using a joypad controller (this is going to be released for PS3 too, you know), I don't want to have to keep going back to the keyboard all the time to do shit with F-keys and the keypad, and I certainly don't want to have to use a mouse. (Note that using analog sticks to emulate a mouse is even worse than having to use an actual mouse.) A significant portion of the time, I can do whatever I need from the joypad without touching the keyboard. I unplugged the mouse within about a week of when I first started playing. They haven't even started any PS3 testing, have they?

They've put a lot of effort into making sure it looks shiny, but I don't think they've put much effort into actual usability of the UI, or even thought that it was important.

And as I'm fond of pointing out, there will be no Windower to give you 3rd-party plug-ins. Those of you who use plug-ins in FFXI and are excited about jumping to FFXIV the day it opens need to take a moment to think about how much you use them, and how they will be gone for XIV. Better yet, turn off every plug-in (except windowed mode and IME support) and play FFXI for a week like that. Yes, a whole week. As in seven days. Okay, so FFXIV won't need gear swaps, but see those little timers all over your screen? And the distance numbers? And the TP displays? Those are what I want you to turn off.

"But someone will make a Windower for FFXIV!" 1) I would be surprised if SE hasn't put a lot of thought into preventing it from happening and is ready for someone to try. 2) Even if someone does try, how long after FFXI PC release did the first Windower plug-in appear?

EDIT: so far everything seems to be pointing to a clear case of Second-system effect
      Last edited by Elwynn; 07-28-2010, 05:18 PM.
      Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
      99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
      F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
      >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Freelancer View Post
        So far the last 2 beta tests were pretty good, no ques or anything and the lag was minimal, in yesterday's test I didn't crash or D/C at all and I was almost on the whole time.
        I think thats awesome...for you. But there are still plenty of people running into issues with the game. The "You can not perform this action" glitch is particularly annoying, especially during doing guildleves.

Controls. I'm getting used to to targeting and such though its very different than FFXI when trying to target a person and that irritates me and using abilites should be easier (I need to target myself when fighting to use cure and that sucks, just let me click it and give me a pointer to choose who to cast on god dammit) also using IJKL to move the camera is starting to make sense since using the pointers is for the menu but Switching them around is better for me. though you could fit FFXI's "lock on, cant move camera so arrows are now only menu" thing would work, fairly simple to fix, I'm not worried.
        On thing I can comment on when it comes to controls is that using a controller sucks! Now regular shit like attacking and stuff, its very good but other things it just does not do. Also, using a PS3 controller is WORSE than using a 360 controller, sad but true.

Combat. A little funky but enjoyable, I don't like how some mobs would just run away, its a nice gimmick on leves when they flee to get help but when EXPing its kinda stupid (though only happened 2 times on exp). and some abilities are a little slow to go off. but still very enjoyable.
        Combat is quite easy to get used to but what I don't like is casting cure on yourself during battle. You have to take the target off the mob, target yourself, and then cure. Its rather clunky. When you would be backline it wouldn't matter much but when you are soloing, I found it annoying.

Another thing that annoys me is the action menu. Remember I use a controller for battles, and when I accidentally hit the D-pad the action changes.....VERY EASILY. So you'll get that "DENIED" sound and look down and see that you are on an empty spot or that you are not casting/doing what you wanted. I liked in FFXI that you had to press something (for me it was L1 or L2) and then be able to scroll through your macros.

Chat. so far glitchy and commands like alt+r to reply and + on numeric pad to scroll up don't work but I guess this is beta so bleh on that one, but it needs more colors because I can barely see important junk like learning abilities because of how the test box work. (needs more colors)
        I hate the chat during battle....hate..hate..hate! lol

Misc. Can't sit AT ALL and I kinda like sitting, it brightens my day, also no sign of linkshells but I can blame that on beta too, /emotes don't work, Mining is weird, crafting is weird but manageable and can get used to it but still crystals can go unstable and screwing up a sync = losing everything. No macros (zomg!) but I can blame beta on that one too. no armor shops in beta is killing my fashion sense (it was already on life support)
        As for linkshells, right at the beginning Hob's gives you one so that he can talk to you when you are doing missions out in the field. So, from that, I am going to conclude there will be linkshells. They may not work quite like FFXI's or they may have tweaked them but I do think they are still there.

Flame on!
        Sorry but we don't allow that on this forum. You may get some heated discussion going but thats about it.
        Last edited by TheGrandMom; 07-28-2010, 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling
        Originally posted by Feba
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        Originally posted by DakAttack
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Pwnagraphic View Post
          I am confused on how they're doing the beta > open beta. With how they explained it late last year, and early this year, they would have an open beta a month or 2 prior to the release. It really seems like they're rushing this game out on PC.

Which makes me believe they're lying about the reason why they're behind on the PS3 version.
          SE said later that they are not doing open beta, due to time limitations.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Heh.. didn't see that... Time limitations occur when you rush a game.
            A mans strength isn't measured by the size of his muscle, but by the size of his heart.

it's better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

R.I.P. Dura's Moms Hard Drive. 2002-2009 Gone, but not forgotten.

Your family must havehad a hen farm growin', up cause you sure know how to raise a cock

Comment

Originally posted by Pwnagraphic View Post
              Heh.. didn't see that... Time limitations occur when you rush a game.
              yeah sad but true -.-

I am in with the people saying late NOV early DEC, it really needs to be pushed back at least that, but knowing SE, and like the growing trend of pretty much all MMORPGs now a days....... it wont be, and there will be a good month or so of "payed beta" before its good to go.

I was even thinking of waiting, but I really want to get in on crafting this time, so *shrugs*
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Working...
              X