This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• call me crazy?

So a good whilel ago, I purchased an astral ring and currently wear that and one electrum ring. With the current inflation of things, I really dont see myself wasteing 800k+ to get another astral ring. Then that got me to thinking: I could use the money, and Electrum rings are dirt cheap, do i really need that extra 5 mp. So my question is, would I be crazy to ditch the astral ring in favor of the duel electrum? I'm a hume. Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks

Re: call me crazy?

My thoughts would be that, yes ditch that Astral for dual electrum(or Mana Ring), the gil you gain can be better off spent elsewhere...say a Pentinent's Rope or Reverend Stash or something other than a measly 25MP. Not that Astrals suck but i feel the gil can be better used elsewhere than a measly 5MP difference.

Comment

Honestly its up to you , if you feel as if you could use that extra gil to something that can be useful to you in the long run then by all means sell it and invest into to a electrum ring. I wouldnt go as far as saying that Astral Rings are overrated but I dont think you'll see much of a difference in +10 MP more or - 10 MP. Go with whatever you budget allows.

Comment

There are much more important things to get before Astrals for 5 more mp. If you really want 5 more mp, grab some death earrings for a whole lot less money. Astrals are near the bottom of the "to-buy" list, especially later when total mp plays less of a role.
        Whm 75 Blm 37 Brd 75 | Bastok Rank 10 | Whm > Rdm

Comment

lol i would go with the cheap Electrum rings any day to make 800k for a astral :sweat:

Comment

astral ring real advantage is that it's pretty low level. If your mage jobs are high enough to wear electrum then I definitely will pick electrum instead.
            There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
            but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
            transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I personally use an Astral and a Mana Ring. Really, I don't need the Astral but as Jei says, they're very good when levelling up low level mage jobs or going in BCs with low level caps.

Comment

The only job that I think Astral Ring benefits more than Electrum Ring at level 40+ is Red Mage, and even then probably only non-Taru RDMs. If you don't plan on levelling any mage jobs and want the cash to buy more necessary gear, I don't see any specific reason to keep the Astral Rings around unless you do a lot of level-capped activities below 40 (Promyvion, etc.).

Icemage

Comment

would dual electrum and use the 800k for some better equip / spells
                  http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?71797

58WAR/36NIN/31THF/24MNK/32SAM Rank6

Comment

I find it funny that while S-E tried to "fix" the coffer camping in Castle Oztroja they messed up the price of these things even more... Even when i walk through the castle now to go steal some coins, there are coffers lying around... where are all these coffer campers that were complaining? Anyway im not gonan rant anymore, but i would have liked a pair of these for my WHM. They are good at low levels if you have the HP (ie. not Taru ;p ), but after electrums come along for such a low price and only a few less MP, theres no question you should sell them.

Warrior TP Warrior WS

Comment

the fix wasn't to correct the rings' price but to help frustrating AFs hunters from those 24/7 coffer campers. Having hunted for 4-5 AFs there it was really a hassle. On Titan we had Aries, a THF who lives in OZ. It's not too bad when she was alone but later on she had a PT of 5 THFs camping virtually every single spots openning every single spawn there. I was so pissed off seeing her in town with 30-40 astrals in her bazaar.
                      Last edited by Jei; 07-05-2005, 09:00 PM.
                      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Another equip this reminds me of is a Morion Earring. I bought my Morrion for 100k. Then I did a quest for a Cunning Earring. The Morion gives me +4 mp over the Cunning but the same int. I was going to sell the Cunning but then I saw that Morion's were up to 250k so I figured why not. It's good to keep an eye on prices so when you come across things like this you have an option. Personally after lvl 40 when you can wear Electrums, Astrals are mostly a status item. I'm too old for that crap. LOL
                        Originally posted by Feba
                        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                        Originally posted by Taskmage
                        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                        Originally posted by DakAttack
                        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

For the astrals if you really want to get a second you can always try the BCNM50 in Giddeus. It's soloable and you have a 1/3rd chance of beating it, with each success you have a chance of getting astral as a drop.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

They include Astrals in that BC now?
                            That's insane... it used to be about a 1% chance of getting something good (because only 1 of the rings was worth more than 5k). Astrals up the odds a bit though.
                            RDM70 | BLM37 | WHM18 | BST12

Comment

Originally posted by Tokitoki
                              I find it funny that while S-E tried to "fix" the coffer camping in Castle Oztroja they messed up the price of these things even more... Even when i walk through the castle now to go steal some coins, there are coffers lying around... where are all these coffer campers that were complaining? Anyway im not gonan rant anymore, but i would have liked a pair of these for my WHM. They are good at low levels if you have the HP (ie. not Taru ;p ), but after electrums come along for such a low price and only a few less MP, theres no question you should sell them.
                              Have you ever tried coffer-hunting pre-patch? ._.;
                              It took me 5 hours to find my BRD pants because there were three thieves running around, and me. /shudder

Sure there are coffers lying around now, that's the way it should be and is in other coffer dungeons... with exception of maybe Boyahda tree, cause coffers have the tendency to pop on EXP PTs there.

As for Astral/Ether rings, they are more of a status symbol than anything else. Like an expensive car, when a cheaper one would get the job done almost as good. That said, yes, I have them. But I bought my astrals pre-patch for 170k, then "exchanged" one for an Ether Ring after I had all mage jobs in their 60s. I would most certainly not waste 800k on one now.
                              BRD75/WHM75/BLM75/RDM75/SMN70/NIN67/MNK33/WAR33/THF15/etc
                              Race: Elvaan. I just like to play with race changer. :3
                              Zilart, CoP completed
                              Vrtra downed.

San d'Oria Rank 10 & Windurst Rank 10
                              FFXI journal

Comment

Working...
                              X