oh my god

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh my god

What am I freaking cursed or something. I always die constantly as a WAR but never died as a MNK with /WAR.

What is up with it. I died 5 times today

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Re: oh my god

You take too much hate? What you need to do is unlock ninja sub for warrior, then you won't die as much.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Er...

Don't you want to at least ask questions like "How did you die?" and "What were you doing at the time?" and "Were you tanking?" and "Did the mages cast cure on you?" before prescribing /NIN?

How about an equipment check?

If OP's character info is correct, he's only WAR25, and /NIN wouldn't help him tank or do damage much.
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

kiryn step away from the keyboard..... oh wait just look closely, your a taru playing a melee type job. if you get hate and get hit you die. a hume whm probaly has more hp and def than you at same level. really if your tanking as a war you need def gear and def foods. if your damage then back off if tank cant hold hate. level 25 you should be in the jungle no reason you cant tank mandys. gobbies on the other hand will slice you up before the whm can get up. if they get off a bomb toss its time for dirt nap. this is the life of a taru DD. /nin can take some of the edge off and make pulling easier, but your still going to have a high death rate. in the 30s spiders will 1 shot you, sickle slash on taru is bad. avoid them lol. it gets better some later on but not much. you will die alot just the way it is. i was in a beetle party in crawlers nest in my early 50's and someone in party everytime before weapon skill would /party use last resort souleater. well since i was only dark this must have been for me. i knew better but did it just to show him i knew how. needless to say i did so much damage to mob i got hate that no one could get off. well i died quickly. know your limits and your partys and deaths will be fewer. tarutaru (melee) impossible to guage!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mog View Post
          You take too much hate? What you need to do is unlock ninja sub for warrior, then you won't die as much.
          PLEASE do not tell him this. There's already enough Warriors in the game going /NIN at his level when /MNK is superior for both tanking and damage. The fact that he's a Tarutaru might be part of the problem.

If he's tanking, better gears and party support and if doing damage, hate management are the resolutions to his problem...not shadows.
          Last edited by Auron517; 02-01-2007, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Make sure you equipment is up to date. A simple economic equipment setup at that level should be chain mail (lvl 24 gear) for body, legs. Have Turtle sheild (vit +3, Def 6), fang or spike necklass (depending on financial situation) for +str and Dex. Power sandles for +3 VIT, warriors belt +1 for HP boost and Vit boost, Republican cap Hp+3, Def 7 and for hands use republican mittens for HP+ and Attack +. All these meant my LS mate could tank good as a war taru. as a taru you need to consentrate on 3 lacking properties. Str, Vitality and HP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarre View Post
              Make sure you equipment is up to date. A simple economic equipment setup at that level should be chain mail (lvl 24 gear) for body, legs. Have Turtle sheild (vit +3, Def 6), fang or spike necklass (depending on financial situation) for +str and Dex. Power sandles for +3 VIT, warriors belt +1 for HP boost and Vit boost, Republican cap Hp+3, Def 7 and for hands use republican mittens for HP+ and Attack +. All these meant my LS mate could tank good as a war taru.
              Turtle Shield isn't a great idea in my book, due to the AGI-6 on it. Given that a WAR's defensive skills are not very impressive to begin with, lowering AGI by that much can't be good.

On WAR/MNK, I say go with Great Axe and just forget any shield. Not sure if there are enough easily obtained HP+ equipment available at low levels to make a significant difference to a Tarutaru WAR tanking; the better bet is keep up the defense and get a good healer and a backup healer.

Tarutaru or otherwise, a well geared WAR/MNK tank with a Great Axe and eating the right food can hold the monster in place while the mages are pouring on the cures, and mantain output decent damage at the same time.

While Power Sandals is nice, it's rather hard to get without help from high level player. Also, if I'm guessing correctly, the OP is a relatively new player, and many not have the resources to get all HQ gears like Republic Cap/Mittens.

HQ items he should splurge on, though are equipment like Spike Necklace--a very nice investment, which lasts many, many levels. Sadly, with the ever shortening tanking careers for WAR's, I cannot recommend OP purchase a Warrior's Belt +1, given that Brave Belt (Def:3 STR+2 VIT+1 DEX-1 AGI-1) is better for DD and still usable for tanking.

Also, a pair of Stamina Rings will last a WAR/MNK until the end of expected tanking days (Lv.36, or sooner). When not tanking, Vision Ring seems to be the latest trend for under Lv.30 physical damage dealers. (Stamina Ring is about 10k each on my server, while Vision Ring is about 15k. If money is tight, I'd get Stamina Rings first as a low level WAR/MNK.)
              Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
              yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
              Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
              leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Also, don't forget food! It does more for your performance than almost any gear you can buy.

At level 24 Boiled Crab (Vit +2, Def +27% /Cap 50@185 base def) is your friend for tanking.

If you're really strapped for gil at least use Boiled Crayfish (Def+30%/cap 25@83 base def).

If you've got gil to spare go for Tavnazian Tacos (too many bonuses to list and they're becoming a lot cheaper these days).

Also, as a War, you'll want to bring along some melee food too. Meat Mithkabob's never go out of style and if you need to level up a weapon that's fallen behind a bit Squid Sushi can be good to make up for your missing Accuracy.

----

In general you want to look at why you're dying too.

Are you tanking? If so are you taking too much damage per hit (aka not enough Def/Vit) or is your primary healer asleep at the switch / not up to the task (aka get a better healer).

If you're not tanking then why are you pulling hate?
                Constant boosting? If so don't do it unless you tank proves they can hold hate against it.
                Berserk + WS when the mob arrives? If so wait till the tank has hate secured.
                Tank just sucks? If so either get a better tank or switch to def/vit gear and food and be the better tank yourself.

Comment

ummm he said he died as a mnk/war

Originally posted by SevIfrit
                  we asked for more wyvern control the give us emotes.... /em slams head off desk...

Comment

Originally posted by Kiryn View Post
                    I always die constantly as a WAR but never died as a MNK with /WAR.
                    He says he never died as a Monk subbing Warrior, but always dies when he plays Warrior.

Comment

Originally posted by Auron517 View Post
                      PLEASE do not tell him this. There's already enough Warriors in the game going /NIN at his level when /MNK is superior for both tanking and damage. The fact that he's a Tarutaru might be part of the problem.

If he's tanking, better gears and party support and if doing damage, hate management are the resolutions to his problem...not shadows.
                      {Um...}

Warrior/ninja is the norm combination when it comes to leveling warrior. Monk is only good up to a certain level, but past that he's going to want to sub ninja.
                      ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

war/nin can die just as much too; /nin does not automatically solve the problem. Ever try to main tank as war/nin at low ~ mid levels without proper support? It is just as ugly as any tank in a subpar party.
                        Server: Quetzalcoatl
                        Race: Hume Rank 7
                        75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

MNK/WAR isn't generally expected to main tank at any level. WAR/MNK is often expected to main tank in the 20-30 range.

As a tarutaru with lower max HP and somewhat lower VIT than average, tanking is somewhat more dangerous than other races. This more than anything is the problem. Obviously good gear, food, and competent healers affects this as well, but all other things being equal, it's the shift in roles that's probably causing the difference.

Icemage

Comment

{Um...}
                            Warrior/ninja is the norm combination when it comes to leveling warrior. Monk is only good up to a certain level, but past that he's going to want to sub ninja.
                            Er, according to the OP's profile, he's only level 25. If the thread was him inquiring about subjobs for Warrior down the road, I could understand you recommending that he gets Ninja sub.

Despite the fact that numerous people are WAR/NIN from level 1 to 75, does not change that /MNK is the way for him to go at his present levels.

Comment

{Um...}

"Up to a certain level". And what level is that? Sure, /NIN is the norm... at end game. But at what level does /NIN start being a better option than /MNK?

Auron's advice is spot on. For the level of the OP (25), MNK sub is still more valuable to a party then NIN sub. At that level, NIN sub is still situational.

To the OP: if you find that you are pulling hate too often as WAR/MNK when you are just a damage dealer, try laying off Boosts during battle. Boost generates a lot of hate, and the attack bonus it gives for just one swing isn't worth it.

If, however, you are tanking, and still dying, then it's an issue of either upgrading your gear or simply finding better parties to support you as main tank. Here's a hint: don't be main tank if you're two levels below the highest party member.

Edit: as far as food goes, you can use Meat Mithkabob for tanking. Just keep Defender up, and you effectively transfer the Kabob's attack bonus into a defense bonus. This will let you carry one stack of food in your inventory, and be able to switch between Tank and DD at a moments notice, without needing food effect to wear off.
                              Lyonheart
                              lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                              Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                              Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                              Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                              Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                              Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                              Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Working...
                              X