X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Subjob Guide; SO STOP ASKING!

Originally posted by Rai|Kye
    a Hume THF/MNK level 15 can do 100+ dmg with SA and Combo.

no other sub will let deal as much dmg at that level.
    At 15 THF/WAR my SA>Fast Blade was doing 100+ as well.

Comment

I advocate keeping Monk as a possible subjob for higher levels as well. Focus after level 50 is a help when it comes to skilling up any melee weapon. After level 50 with capped hand-to-hand skill, Thief/Monk can also use the Raging Fists weaponskill which is a 5-hit weaponskill (10 levels before you get Dancing Edge which is Dagger's 5-hit weaponskill) and it deals greater damage than Viper Bite if most of its hits land. I did The Archlich battle for the first part of Rank 6 Mission as Thief/Monk with Life Belt as only real piece of +accuracy equipment and SATA + Boost + Raging Fists still did more damage to him than any other attack. It also becomes a passable soloing subjob at high levels, you won't be able to Counter and dodge Even Match and above mostly likely, but they help out noticeably against Easy Prey and Decent Challenge mobs. The passive HP Boost trait will give you around 100 extra HPs which is not too shabby and the Subtle Blow trait also keeps the mobs from using special attacks on you too often just like Ninja subjob would. I haven't gotten monk yet to 35, but at 70 Thief you also would gain access to the Chakra ability which heals a small percentage of your HP as well as healing bad status effects like poison. Another fun trick with Monk sub at high levels is to gain TP and then keep stacking Boost until your attack is very very high then launch your super-powered attack on an unsuspecting mob. A War/Mnk friend of mine was able to Boost until his attack was 999 without any Bard songs helping, the effort of stacking it that high wasn't very worthwhile though.

Avatar picture obtained from NamcoXCapcom Subarashiki Shin Sekai Community http://www.livejournal.com/community/namcoxcapcom/

Comment

Ty for your time and info. I my self am taking on THF, (Mithra lv25.) yay Flee,SA'
        Tortura 67 Whm - Elizabeth 34 Thf - Foolycooly 42 Drk - Zanoletti 50 whm.

Comment

One subjob combination that you've completely left off, but is worth mentioning...

/Drg.

No, it's not for the Wyvern. You don't get a Wyvern as /Drg.

Attack Up I, Accuracy Up I, Jump, High Jump are the reasons why.

Also, and this is what swings in Drg's favour.. the Wyvern Earring.

When /Drg, while wearing this, you gain 5% Haste. With Dual Wield very much hampered post update, this allows you to swing faster while still gaining TP at an improved rate (over dual wield). Combine this with the Wyvern Shield (another 1% haste), and the Wyvern Mantle (+6 attack while /Drg) - you effectively boost your speed and attack considerably.

From 30 - 49, you don't have Second Attack anyways, so /War is moot... the only debate is whether the +25% temporary attack is greater than 6% haste, and base +16 attack from a slot normally not used for high +attack items.

Jump will also stack with SATA, which you can use at slight range *and* is quicker to land than a single melee. Other advantages is it's easier to land a SATA Jump on a moving target.

The combination does rely a lot on the gear you bring to the fight - but, 5% haste is nothing to sneer at, especially not at level 30.

Biggest problem with it though - is that people's perceptions of you will be worse than gimped, even if you're bringing more to the fight than you could with /War or /Nin.

- Saeriel.

Comment

Originally posted by bikkebakke
            At 15 THF/WAR my SA>Fast Blade was doing 100+ as well.
            i doubt that... but hey what do i know

CoP=Complete RoZ=Complete ToAU=Mission 8
            Blade:Jin, a wicked badass 3-fold skill that totally outparses ridill WARs and Blackbelt monks and averages 700-1300.

Comment

Originally posted by Muu Yi
              I advocate keeping Monk as a possible subjob for higher levels as well. Focus after level 50 is a help when it comes to skilling up any melee weapon. After level 50 with capped hand-to-hand skill, Thief/Monk can also use the Raging Fists weaponskill which is a 5-hit weaponskill (10 levels before you get Dancing Edge which is Dagger's 5-hit weaponskill) and it deals greater damage than Viper Bite if most of its hits land. I did The Archlich battle for the first part of Rank 6 Mission as Thief/Monk with Life Belt as only real piece of +accuracy equipment and SATA + Boost + Raging Fists still did more damage to him than any other attack.
              The only reason I see to sub mnk post viperbite is if you ever get into a bone PT. My lv75 thf/mnk was able to keep up to a 71 mnk/war of the same race in KRT. Otherwise, the low skill you get from H2H is just not woth the possible slightly higher dmg possible from raging fists. Archlich is a bone, and thus H2H gets a bonus on it.

The only other place I see a good use for /mnk is on HNMs where you are subbed in for WS and then dropped to get more TP. You can opo necklace to 100% TP, and boost to 999 attack before you WS.

Originally posted by Muu Yi
              It also becomes a passable soloing subjob at high levels, you won't be able to Counter and dodge Even Match and above mostly likely, but they help out noticeably against Easy Prey and Decent Challenge mobs. The passive HP Boost trait will give you around 100 extra HPs which is not too shabby and the Subtle Blow trait also keeps the mobs from using special attacks on you too often just like Ninja subjob would. I haven't gotten monk yet to 35, but at 70 Thief you also would gain access to the Chakra ability which heals a small percentage of your HP as well as healing bad status effects like poison. Another fun trick with Monk sub at high levels is to gain TP and then keep stacking Boost until your attack is very very high then launch your super-powered attack on an unsuspecting mob. A War/Mnk friend of mine was able to Boost until his attack was 999 without any Bard songs helping, the effort of stacking it that high wasn't very worthwhile though.
              Ehh, it's passable I guess, but if you want a cheap soloing sub I would prefer /whm. Much faster to max your hp back with cures rather than just resting your entire HP, even with chakra. Before DE, /mnk is ok for farming with raging fists, however fast blade does very comperable dmg to it. Really, the best sub for solo thf is ninja. Utsusemi is a perfect compliment to thf's evasion. As a thf who used to solo with various subs before ninja was even in the game, it is not hard at all to see how much utsu improves thf soloability.
              Calin - Ragnarok

Comment

Dont forget about boost ability from subbing monk. Stack boost like 10 times (max is like 13 times or something like that) and then sneak attack and fast blade or since your subbing monk, combo. Of course this would require you to boost only between battles, and hopefully have someone else pulling. Atm, i dont remember if boost wears from a ranged attack. Oh well, I generally dont argue with people unless there subs are something totally weird, like thf/blm or thf/whm. But I see no prob in subbing brd with thf. I prefer my choice but i would not argue with a thf/brd.

Comment

This is really old and I SHOULD update it, but it is a hassle at the moment with school. I have a few papers to write this week, but it is indeed time for an update.

Warrior TP Warrior WS

Comment

Re: Basic Thief Sub Job Guide and Discussion

Originally posted by Tokitoki View Post

Monk; good sub pre-33. Using this sub for the time up until Viper Bite is a VERY good idea. It not only lets you use the Hand-to-Hand weaponskills more effectively, it also gives you the martial arts job trait to speed up your attacks. After lv 15, Sneak Attack + Combo is a very strong way to do some damage. The average damage of SA+Combo is a bit higher than that of Fast Blade. Those are your two real choices during your first few levels.
                    I'm thinking of trying this one.

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Originally posted by Muu Yi View Post
                      I did The Archlich battle for the first part of Rank 6 Mission as Thief/Monk with Life Belt as only real piece of +accuracy equipment and SATA + Boost + Raging Fists still did more damage to him than any other attack.
                      Against the Archlich? That's not at all surprising.

You have to remember that skeleton-type mobs take extra damage from bludgeoning weapons (Hand-to-Hand, Staff, Club)
                      All Nations: Rank 10
                      Rise of the Zilart: Complete
                      Chains of Promathia: Complete
                      75 BRD/75 WHM/75 BLM/75 MNK/75 RDM/57 DRK/40 THF/39 WAR/37 NIN & SMN/All the rest < 37

What to level next? (DRK!)

Comment

Since this thread's back up, I suppose I'll take a moment to confirm that it's easy for SA Fast Blade to break 100 on crabs in the dunes. I did it a lot. With Elvaan DEX.
                        "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

(Sorry about necro posting. >_>; )

/DRG can be a suprisingly good support job for THF's.

My friend used THF/DRG for farming recollections in the Lv.30 capped Promvyion-Mea and Dem last night (with my poor RDM/NIN as his SATA victi--er, partner).

His damage:
                          Melee: 10016
                          Skill: 4149
                          Ability: 3915*
                          Total: 18549**

* Ability = Jump.
                          ** Also includes misc. stuff like range attack, and "effect" damage from SMN's ice spikes blood pact.

He was the best damage dealer in party, of course; THF and SATA + Fast Blade is really awesome at Lv.30. However, his Jump attacks were not far behind.

SATA + Jump did about as much damage as SATA + Fast Blade, and it nicely made up for slower TP gain of sword from less accuracy compared to dagger.

Just for fun, here's the breakup of the damage dealers:

THF/DRG: 38.86%
                          RDM/NIN: 30.44%
                          WAR/NIN: 25.65%
                          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Thf/drg really does nicely when at Mamool Ja Staging point when pulling puks =3 In haste gear setup with heartsnatcher or hornetneedle, can pull some crazy hate unless you SA High Jump then TA Jump/WS someone else
                            /war ties in favorite though.
                            1566 Eviscresion from SATAAC Bersek Warcry & hide ^.^ Actually beaten DE using the same JA on the same mob o.O

edit: oh yea, /mnk with TP and a bunch of boosts (75thf/8mnk & before getting AC) during skill ups in kuftal with Raging fists.... yea, still very sweet sweet dmg, gotta see what it can do once i cap that sub, lol >_>;;
                            Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Sorry to bother you all, ive tried to read everything and stuff, but can still not decide.
                              What sub is good for all the way through (not including NIN, I don't want to raise a nin), would MNK or WAR be all the way subs or just at certain levels?
                              Please help me, and sorry again ^^.

Comment

For the full way through you should go WAR sub if you dont want to lvl NIN. I do suggest levelling NIN anyway though, because it comes in handy in a few camps and various tasks.

MNK sub is really only great up until 30, at which point WAR sub will really shine through with Berserk. Not to mention your hand-to-hand skill will really start to suffer as you go further into the game.

Summary:
                                WAR sub yes! Good sub whole way through, especially utilizing a good shield.
                                Level NIN sub even if you dont want to; it has its uses.
                                MNK sub is fine until 30 and for a few other tasks if you choose that path.

Warrior TP Warrior WS

Comment

Working...
                                X