Enfeebling colibri 61-66 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enfeebling colibri 61-66 ?

I just dinged RDM 61, so my static will be hitting regular colibri this week. I'm wondering if it's worth trying to enfeeble them at all considering A) The spell will get mimicked and B) The mob will die pretty fast anyway. When I was on PLD at this level, I remember that some RDMs would Dia II and then cast Erase when it got mimicked onto me. But that's 48 MP each time, which doesn't seem practical when carrying the healing load, too?

A forum search brought back a few answers to this on the order of "Yes, do it," but it seemed like they were talking about merit parties instead of Bhaflau Thickets. So any advice appreciated!
    Must level...<Resist sleep> ...

Re: Enfeebling colibri 61-66 ?

Its not worth it. I wouldn't do it. You'll be plenty busy with haste. If you have a PLD tank you'll be refreshing and regening them.

The pace isn't as hectic in these parties but you'lll still be busy.

Now that I've been in Imp parites I'm glad I had the little slower rest lol.
    Last edited by fairyoracle75; 01-11-2010, 02:25 PM.

Asura Server

Comment

Yeah, what's the rest of your static look like just curious? If you have Piercing dmg then you'll be golden either way, just keep haste on that DD and the tank and ya'll will breeze through the 60's quick and then you'll hit imps and magmatic eurca....and you'll wish you were back in the 60's

Comment

All righty. Thanks for the replies. My static is RDM BLM PLD SAM DRG *whoever*. I hate to just give the mob a pass on debuffs, but if they die fast enough... [Shrugs]

And no, definitely not in a hurry to fight imps again.

Comment

If your sam's not working his polearm for skill ups, might want to have him start working on that. not sure if it's gimping a party in the 60's but i would assume probably not. Of course keep your GK skill up also but if you can get 2 dd's spaming Penta on birds your parties will be smooth ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Havelock View Post
            All righty. Thanks for the replies. My static is RDM BLM PLD SAM DRG *whoever*. I hate to just give the mob a pass on debuffs, but if they die fast enough... [Shrugs]

And no, definitely not in a hurry to fight imps again.
            What does your BLM do?

When I'm BLM in bird parties, I usually go check out the fridge, flip through some channels on my TV, go shopping, etc.
            Joined FFXI September 15th, 2009 | PlayStation 2/3
            Retired July 8th, 2010.
            Current Server: Unicorn
            Current Home Nation: San d'Oria (Rank 10)
            Race/Sex: Hume/(Fe)male
            Current Jobs: 80BRD, 75NIN, 59DNC, 51WHM, 43WAR, 38BLM, 38DRK

Comment

Couldn't hurt to cast Slow since even if it does hit the PLD, it won't stick because of his haste. I wouldn't bother with anything else, though.

WHM99 - RDM99 - WAR99 - BRD99 - MNK99 - BLM99 - DNC99 - SCH 99 - BST 99
              WorldSlayers ~ Asura http://sillygalka.blogspot.com

Comment

Dia, only Dia and nothing but Dia. AndDia II.

This is a meleeburn mob. Fighting it is all about physical damage, so lower its defenses. Nothing else is going to improve that situation and the secondary effect of Dia (Defense Down) will always go through while things like Slow, Paralyze and the rest run the risk of being resisted more easily.

Cast any other spell and you run the risk lowering damage potential and enmity generation. Dia is quick, has a quick recast and is the spell of least consequence to a tank or melee. Since we're so dead-set on mitigating damage in these encounters, Dia at worst will hinder a PLD's defense and that's easy to take care of. Anyone else it lands on can just grin and bear it because they're not as important as the PLD or NIN tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Chromemage View Post
                  What does your BLM do?
                  Well, that was our setup on lesser colibri. Moving on to Bhaflau camp, they'll probably come as DRK.

Comment

No Dia II on parroting Colibri until your group has Erase, since it's PLD tank. (Erase is Lv.32, so need RDM64/WHM32 first.) Slow is perfectly fine with Haste on the PLD, and will save you MP over the long run. Depending on the strength of the party, the average Colibri fight last well over a minute--maybe even minute and a half--at that level, so one or two enfeebs (Dia II and Slow, basically) are actually worthwhile.

Since you have a BLM, it may be more fun going with Puk, Defoliator, Aydeewa Diremite, and Magmatic Eruca instead. See Campsitaru for level recommendations.
                    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Definitely slow. When I was rdm there, i had everyone hasted and regen'ed and just kept casting slow on the bird.
                      75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                      RANK 10 Bastok
                      CoP: Done
                      ZM: Done
                      ToA: Done
                      Assault rank: Captain
                      Campaign Medal: Medals
                      Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                      This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Out of curosity, does anyone know if collibri mimic the potency of the spell?
                        Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                        Name: Drjones
                        Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Originally posted by Truece View Post
                          Couldn't hurt to cast Slow since even if it does hit the PLD, it won't stick because of his haste. I wouldn't bother with anything else, though.
                          This is why I can't stand BRDs hitting Lolibri with Elegy instead of letting me cast slow.
                          Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                          Reiko Takahashi
                          - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                          Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Out of curosity, does anyone know if collibri mimic the potency of the spell?
                            Fairly sure they simply re-cast the spell with their own stats.

Comment

If you're in a situation where you have the entire party (minus the Bard(s)/Corsair) Hasted, then yes, Slow is fine since it'll just bounce off of anyone who has Haste active. Everything else is a no-no, however. There's nothing you can cast on them that they can't reflect back with interest as a RDM. The only thing I ever cast on Colilbri is Slow I, and every once in a blue moon I'll toss Blizzard III if I think a chain is about to expire without a little help (even that's a judgment call depending on my MP levels and part health levels - ifI guess wrong, someone's eating Blizzard III for a few hundred damage/losing a shadow, and I'd best have enough extra in the tank to cover for that if it happens).

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                              X