75 RDM Melee Gear Suggestions/Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75 RDM Melee Gear Suggestions/Goals

I'm looking for two sets of suggestions.

1.) Melee gear that is easily attainable at 75 that will allow me to get by in Campaign, or whilst farming, or killing NMs or whatever the fuck it is I'm trying to do as RDM/NIN or something.

2.) Melee gear that is not as easily attainable, but things I should put on my "to do" list for the future. Things like Joytoy, Swift Belt, Crimson Gear, etc.

Remember, I'm a Taru! Just assume I have any and all applicable subs leveled, because I do.

Thanks!

Re: 75 RDM Melee Gear Suggestions/Goals

This is what I usually use when I'm 1 vs 1 with a mob: - FFXIAH.com

unless I'm /nin, then I use this: - FFXIAH.com

For T and up an acc body like scorpion harness or pahluwan khazagand is preferable to assault jerkin. I use the latter simply because it matches the rest of the gear better. <.<

Other than Swordbelt +1 in the waist slot I don't remember what I used to use. Narasimha's vest used to be the default melee body for rdms. Dunno if something better and as attainable has come out since then. I'd have to look up cheaper gear.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Oh duh of course. Jaridah Peti for the body slot.

Carapace Gauntlets give attack +8 def +16 when <75% hp which is when your Fencer's Ring activates too.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
      This is what I usually use when I'm 1 vs 1 with a mob: - FFXIAH.com
      Why the Suppanomimi when you aren't duel-wielding? I mean, I guess Sword +5, but... is there nothing better?
      Andrzej (Kujata) - RDM75, WHM37, BLM37
      Daiyumi (Kujata) - WAR40, DNC25, THF22

Comment

Originally posted by Andrzej View Post
        Why the Suppanomimi when you aren't duel-wielding? I mean, I guess Sword +5, but... is there nothing better?
        +5 sword skill is +5 attack and +5 accuracy with swords. So no, not that I know of.

- FFXIAH.com - Here's some relatively inexpensive gear I put together. The whole set would cost ~400k on my server after adding a weapon and no item costs more than 70k. For weapons you'd probably want to go with a Verdun or an Anelace according to preference or mob damage type weakness. Pealing Anelace is cheaper if there's one on the AH but harder to resell. On the dagger side there's Misericorde, Hornetneedle if you quest it and Martial Knife. I'd go with one of the latter two for more or stronger Cyclones.

Comment

Hmm, after looking it over, yeah, seems that Suppanomimi would be the best. Ethereal Earring is pretty good too, but Accuracy +5 is beat out by Sword +5 too. The addition of 3% damage taken to MP is nice though, along with an Evasion +5, if you are tanking. Loquacious Earring might be another notable mention, with enhancing Fast Cast (which, I would think, would be good for melee. Get your spells off quicker and what not. Might just be me though ). Hollow Earring isn't bad either, but the Sword +5 trumps Accuracy +3.
          Andrzej (Kujata) - RDM75, WHM37, BLM37
          Daiyumi (Kujata) - WAR40, DNC25, THF22

Comment

I have a loq but I don't remember how much I bother swapping it in for my melee macro set. Maybe for stoneskin. Ethereal is nice. I may have to get that now that my pld could wear it, but my original choice was Magnetic for the extra stamina when I'm on the back line.

Hollow Earring is better than I initially gave it credit for and I think better than you're assessing it too. Remember it also has dex+2 so it's effectively +4 acc, and the +3 damage on every swing almost certainly trumps attack +5. The problem is really that it's so narrow. It's only competitive with Ethereal and Suppa for sword users in the case of rdm, and it's only barely better for rdm. Any other job would benefit more from the other earrings, so if you have multiple jobs the Hollow is hard to justify.

Comment

Using FFXIAH's power search, this is what I've got:

Weapons: Martial Anelace (obtainable) / Mensur Epee 'til you can get Joyeuse and Blau Dolch (to do)
              Head: Walahra Turban (obtainable) / Optical Hat (to do)
              Neck: Spectacles or Chivalrous Chain (obtainable)
              Earrings: +Attack -Eva earrings (obtainable) / Suppanomimi, Brutal Earring, Hollow/Ethereal Earring (to do)
              Body: Scorpion Harness (obtainable) / Assault Jerkin, Pahluwan Khazagand (to do)
              Hands: Tarasque Mitts (obtainable) / Dusk Gloves (to do)
              Rings: Woodsman x2 or Woodsman + Ecphoria if on a budget (obtainable) / Blood Ring (to do if you want to)
              Back: Amemet Mantle (obtainable) / Amemet Mantle +1 (to do; very bad cost-improvement ratio, one of the last things you should consider)
              Waist: Life Belt (lol) / Swift Belt (to do)
              Legs: Dusk Trousers (to do)...not much else besides Pahluwan, but you might as well use the points on gil for Dusk
              Feet: Ogre Ledelsens (obtainable) / Dusk Ledelsens (to do)

EDIT: Looking at what Taskmage put together...didn't notice Vendor's Slops. Could use that in the legs 'til Dusk if you don't mind being ugly.

EDIT2: Oh yeah, if damage taken isn't trivial, I'd use a Size 3 shield (e.g. Hard, Ice) if you don't have Genbu's. I'd only recommend a buckler if you're not taking damage.
              Last edited by Armando; 04-23-2009, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Blood Ring would be nice. I hate paralyze with a passion.

Slops/trews actually look pretty good on tarutaru, imo. If you end up using an Assault Jerkin you're gonna look ugly no matter what you do. Nothing matches with that thing. I've only now gotten my melee set to a point where it actually looks good.

Comment

I have a neat little Resist Paralyze set going on, it's worked quite well in Nyzul Isle. Elegant Ribbon, Peiste Mantle, and Ebullient Ring. Blood Ring is most definitely on my to-do list.

Combined with Barparalyzra and Barblizzara, I once went one whole fight against a Nyzul Psycheflayer with Ice Spikes on and didn't get Paralyzed. I recall another fight that I went 8 full swings before getting Paralyzed. I've dodged Curse twice with Elegant Ribbon, too.

I'm actually considering Flawless Ribbon. Sure, apparently the intimidation rate sucks hardcore, but for S-E to make totally epic equipment like Brutal Earring or Boxer's Mantle and then make that ribbon cost as much as both combined...it really makes you wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                    I'm actually considering Flawless Ribbon. Sure, apparently the intimidation rate sucks hardcore, but for S-E to make totally epic equipment like Brutal Earring or Boxer's Mantle and then make that ribbon cost as much as both combined...it really makes you wonder.
                    Same could be said about Jaeger and Charger mantles though. It's not impossible that they have some hidden effect that nobody else has observed, but would you pay 1M+ to find out?

I think SE is mostly throwing darts at a board when designing and determining the rarity of items.

Comment

I don't have a lot to add =(

Suppa is technically +4.5 acc. (+.9 acc for every +1 skill after 200)

I really like TM's 1v1 /not-nin build. I imagine with phalanx/SS and a set like that, you last a goodly long time.

Random note: TM's /nin build is actually cheaper! By like over 600k. Of course, there's a Justice Sword in it...

Flawless ribbon has long interested me but... damn, you'd need a nice Limbus static or a steady income to justify it. Farking S-E couldn't just put the numeric increase on the item. I mean, my Fighter's AF feet says the same thing as my Brutal Earring: "Enhances Double Attack." One is negligible, one is +5% damage/tp. Reallllly makes you wonder if all "resist" items are created equal.

And terribly OT: I'm seeing a lot more interest in RDM melee since last update. I think we all want to say it's due to Composure/En-IIs. But I'm thinking it has more to do with that wonderful Satchel...
                      "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Originally posted by Lmnop View Post
                        Random note: TM's /nin build is actually cheaper! By like over 600k. Of course, there's a Justice Sword in it...
                        Mainly because I don't use the pricey umbra cape when I've got shadows eating the damage. The gil totals on my sets are rather misleading though since there are several somewhat difficult to obtain rare/ex items in the mix.
                        Originally posted by Lmnop View Post
                        Reallllly makes you wonder if all "resist" items are created equal.
                        I hadn't thought about that but it's very valid.

Comment

Same could be said about Jaeger and Charger mantles though. It's not impossible that they have some hidden effect that nobody else has observed, but would you pay 1M+ to find out?
                          Well, Jaeger DOES have the largest amount of Attack you can get out of a back slot.

In any case, yes, I am willing to pay 1 mill to find out lol. I've already dodged a couple of things just for wearing my Elegant Ribbon and that's just some cheapo 4k AH'able quested Lv.51 ribbon. I have some faith in Flawless Ribbon. It's going to be a while 'til I have it though

Comment

If it turns out there's nothing special about it, at least you'll have it if they ever add barlight/bardarkness.

Comment

It's ok. I can lie about my testing, you guys would believe me.

Comment

Working...
                              X