• Show
Clear All

Re: 75 RDM Melee Gear Suggestions/Goals

I lol'd ^^^

EDIT:

Page claim! so on that note....

Here's my RDM/NIN Melee build:FFXIGEAR.com

Then Eviseration Build:FFXIGEAR.com

Basically swapped out haste gear for attack + and DEX&STR gear. And then through in some Sushi or not even, and I think you'd do alright in meripo's, course alot of that gear is expensive or hard to aquire.
    Last edited by ShepardG; 04-24-2009, 01:28 AM.

Comment

The reason this thread came about is because I was camping Ose* with my parents and a couple of other folks from our LS yesterday. I was RDM/NIN (just because), and they were DNC and WHM (parents) and SAM and THF (friends). I felt pretty useless. I just got Ni, so I wasn't at all used to /NIN, and I could really tell that my gear was way behind the curve.

I do have an O-Hat, though I stupidly don't have a W. Turban. I'm going to take care of that asap. Lately when solo meleeing, I've been wearing:

Main: Mensur Epee or Misericorde
      Sub: Tariquah or Misericorde (I do have a hornetneedle - would that be better?)
      Ammo: Bibiki Seashell
      Head: O-Hat
      Neck: Spike Necklace (shameful, I realize, but I had one because of DRG)
      Earrings: I just keep my Insomnia/Antivenom combo on. Because I wasn't sure what to do.
      Body: Narashima's
      Hands: Wonder Mitts
      Rings: Whatever STR rings I have on me at the time, or worse, MP rings. Pretty shameful.
      Back: Caster capes. Need to fix this.
      Waist: Same. Or Brave Belt. Which is embarrassing.
      Legs: Vendors.
      Feet: Wonder Clomps, or Bounder's.

All in all, a good example of what would go in BGs lolgear thread.

I don't have Sea, and while I'm at Divine Might, I haven't completed it yet, so I don't have Suppa, and I don't anticipate getting anything Sea/Limbus related anytime soon. But these are some fantastic suggestions otherwise! To the AH!

*Unfortunately, though we're all going to camp Ose for everyone there who needs the Jerkin, I'm fourth on the list for people to get it. :/ So it'll be a while before I'll have an ugly jerkin to worry about.

Comment

No mention of goliard body? I'm seriously considering wearing it over AJ because more haste means more deathblossoms and more enspell damage in addition to more regular hit damage. (Of course I might still swap in the AJ for WS... once you start getting into WS swap gear there's a lot of stuff that could be revised, haste belts vs. swordbelt+1, dusk gloves vs. tarrasque mitts, etc.)

I also sometimes use galliard trousers, because I happened to have gotten them a couple years ago with a LS that no longer exists. But I'm not sure how worthwhile it is to try to get them if you don't have them already, compared to pahluwan or something.

P.S. Suppa doesn't conflict with hollow - they come from different fights and there are two ear slots. Like a lot of people with multiple jobs I opted for ethereal, but if you have it, hollow would be nice. Also lycopodium, if it actually exists in something other than dat mining.
        Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
        RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
        All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
          Hollow Earring is better than I initially gave it credit for and I think better than you're assessing it too. Remember it also has dex+2 so it's effectively +4 acc, and the +3 damage on every swing almost certainly trumps attack +5. The problem is really that it's so narrow. It's only competitive with Ethereal and Suppa for sword users in the case of rdm, and it's only barely better for rdm. Any other job would benefit more from the other earrings, so if you have multiple jobs the Hollow is hard to justify.
          I picked Hollow Earring as it's certainly nice for when you're getting TP. But in Suppanomimi's defense, the +enspell damage does nothing for weaponskills.

As a SCH, I bet Hollow Earring would be a nice addition for low delay weapon users like THF, or duelwielders. Unfortunately, most people don't get hard-to-obtain-or-one-time-only gear based on the premise of having a SCH around (Elemental Obis or Diabolos' Earring anyone?) Somewhat cheapens my ability to really give enhancements to the party in some ways.

Anyway, here is what I use when I'm meleeing stuff:
          Main: Joyeuse. Used to use Blau Dolch a lot, especially when I did RDM/BST action.
          Sub: Tariqah+1
          Ammo: Smart Grenade (easily obtained from a soloable quest)
          Head: Walahra Turban, Ogre Mask+1
          Neck: Chivalrous Chain, Soil Gorget for Vorpal Blade
          Ears: Hollow Earring, Brutal Earring
          Body: Pahluwan Khazagand (obtainable with some dedication for a few weeks. Just spam Lamia 13), Assault Jerkin. Don't have a Goliard Saio yet.
          Hands: Dusk Gloves, Goliard Cuffs
          Rings: Ulthalam's Ring, Rajas Ring, Jelly Ring for soloing
          Back: Foragers Mantle
          Waist: Swift Belt, Potent Belt
          Legs: Volunteers Brais, Pahluwan Seraweels
          Feet: Dusk Ledelsons, Ogre Ledelsons+1
          sigpic

Comment

Murph,

Don't worry so much about your gear's, it's not the best, but neither is it the worst!, I'll give you a build that shouldn't cost to much, and you won't be to hard pressed to aquire it all.

This is mainly a farming/having fun with your family&friends/possible meripo if you have open minded people build:

Things to work for in your spare time, if you haven't already:

-RDM's are just as equal in dagger as they are in sword. Work on getting Eviseration unlocked, infact get the dagger of trials and skill up your dagger in the boyahada tree off of crabs, by the time you hit 230 skill level you should be close to unlocking your dagger, and also learning how to bounce your spell usage around enfeebled mobs
            -Keep up your haste
            -as for the two gear sets below, you'll probably want to swap in your chapeau, and any other piece you have with "fast cast" on it, for casting magic and ninjitsu. along with your haste, you'll be doing alright for getting up :Ni and Stoneskin
            -Evisceration is nice, but don't forget you have to other weaponskills that drain MP from the mob your fighting (if the mob has MP)

anyways...

TP gear:

Damn, I'm gonna have to update this tomorow, brb

Comment

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post
              I lol'd ^^^

EDIT:

Page claim! so on that note....

Here's my RDM/NIN Melee build:FFXIGEAR.com

Then Eviseration Build:FFXIGEAR.com

Basically swapped out haste gear for attack + and DEX&STR gear. And then through in some Sushi or not even, and I think you'd do alright in meripo's, course alot of that gear is expensive or hard to aquire.
              How many Thieves' dead bodies did you have to walk over to get this stuff?
              "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post
                -RDM's are just as equal in dagger as they are in sword. Work on getting Eviseration unlocked, infact get the dagger of trials and skill up your dagger in the boyahada tree off of crabs, by the time you hit 230 skill level you should be close to unlocking your dagger, and also learning how to bounce your spell usage around enfeebled mobs
                That would be a great plan if not for the fact that you have to have dagger skill at or above 230 to get the dagger of trials in the first place.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Lmnop View Post
                  How many Thieves' dead bodies did you have to walk over to get this stuff?
                  Would be cute if he pulled the opposite of using his RDM to get gear for his other jobs, and instead used THF as his smokescreen for getting melee gear for RDM.

....hey, I'd do it. I know a Mandau RDM who never plays his THF.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ok, went to the AH, and made a few purchases. There were no feet whatsoever (save Dusk, which are a bit out of my price range atm.)

Here is what I've got going on right now, but stupid FFXIAH is acting weird, so you may not be able to see the set right away.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=77204

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                      FFXIAH is acting weird, so you may not be able to see the set right away.
                      Or at all for that matter as Murphie seems to have broken it.
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Ok, went to the AH, and made a few purchases. There were no feet whatsoever (save Dusk, which are a bit out of my price range atm.)

Here is what I've got going on right now, but stupid FFXIAH is acting weird, so you may not be able to see the set right away.

- FFXIAH.com
                        This is a good set. After reading what you were wearing before, I'm impressed you whipped something this good together so fast. I can't really speak for ideal weapon combos, but the rest is good. Lots of +acc; I think it's smart to focus on acc before dreaming about haste gear. I'd like to note Ecphoria Ring, though. Unless you actually have the Woodsman for another job, I'd be totally comfortable with ditching it for Ecphoria. the 1 acc lost is worth the money saved and - assuming you're soloing or tanking something - getting the eva back can't hurt.
                        "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

I have Woodsman for DRG, but could easily swap it out for Ecphoria.

edit: Thankfully I have a fair amount of gil saved up, but I don't want to blow it all on RDM stuff. Still, the purchases I made were (I felt) worth it, and mostly useful for the other stuff I'm leveling as well, so sort of multi-purpose! And as RDM is still my only 75 on Murphie, the more soloability I could gain, the better.
                          Last edited by Murphie; 04-24-2009, 12:57 PM.

Comment

No mention of goliard body? I'm seriously considering wearing it over AJ because more haste means more deathblossoms and more enspell damage in addition to more regular hit damage.
                            Goliard is an option, I didn't mention it because it's not as accessible as other things and a Scorp Harness will do you just as much good offensively if your hit rate isn't capped.

I agree with Lmnop, that's a pretty respectable set to put together on short notice. The hornetneedle is weak though. Unless your weapon has a noteworthy added effect (multi-hitting, TP bonus, that kind of thing), DPS is the first thing you look for. Honestly there's only two daggers for RDM: Blau Dolch and everything else. Misericorde is about as good as it gets for you right now, and its DPS is still a bit on the low side; there's merit to main handing it while /NIN to use Evisceration, but I'd just slap on Mensur Epee in the offhand for better DPS.

Comment

That's fine. I was skilling dagger, hence the Hornetneedle. But I do have Mensur on hand to swap in. Sword needs skilling too (I really want both Savage Blade and Evisceration - both weapons are at about 199 now), but I was focusing on Dagger earlier today.

Comment

I really want both Savage Blade
                                You know, all I can say to this is, you really don't need to bother. Death Blossom can give you everything Savage Blade possibly could, and then some.

Then again, that does require getting a Vorpal Sword from Nyzul . . .
                                Originally posted by Armando
                                No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                                Originally posted by Armando
                                Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                                Originally posted by Taskmage
                                GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                                Originally posted by Taskmage
                                However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                                Matthew 16:15

Comment

Working...
                                X