Clear All

Re: 75 RDM Melee Gear Suggestions/Goals

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    Korrigans are a mite unfriendly and rip through shadows in seconds
    Mnk mobs > shadows. Phalanx > mnk mobs.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Well, my larger point was you're swiping one of the main charmable mobs in the area for the sake of skillups when steelsheels are more than sufficient. Not saying BST owns all the Korrigans as much as I'm saying your stepping into a commonly known BST camp.

Comment

Exactly. Though I wish there had been at least one BST up there earlier today. The goobbue and korrigans were getting a bit to close to my pulling path today for my comfort level. (Was skilling with a WHM and MNK unlocking trial weapons from the LS.)

Comment

/Dnc TP gear goal
          /Nin TP gear goal

Obviously things like Morrigans and HQ dusk are HUGELY long term projects, but I've got progressive fill-ins on the way.

Art done by Fred Perry.

Comment

Why do you choose to favor haste more in the /dnc build but not so much in the /nin one?
            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Because I'd like to get some Pahluwan and Yigit (if it's at all useful for caster RDM), what Assaults are good for RDM? I've only done it three times, all on worms in Leujaoam Sanctum. It was ok. In my LS I have a few melee jobs (DRG, SAM, PLD, um, DNC?) to pull from, so if those are at all useful, keep that in mind with regard to suggestions.

I'm also trying to talk some members of the LS (my dad is the leader) into doing some Genbu runs for the shield. Any other Sky NMs worth focusing on for RDM gear?

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                Because I'd like to get some Pahluwan and Yigit (if it's at all useful for caster RDM), what Assaults are good for RDM? I've only done it three times, all on worms in Leujaoam Sanctum. It was ok. In my LS I have a few melee jobs (DRG, SAM, PLD, um, DNC?) to pull from, so if those are at all useful, keep that in mind with regard to suggestions.

I'm also trying to talk some members of the LS (my dad is the leader) into doing some Genbu runs for the shield. Any other Sky NMs worth focusing on for RDM gear?
                Private First Class - Ilrusi Atoll - Lamia 13, spam dispel on the fomors
                Private Second Class - Lebros Caverns, spam DoT stuff on the walls or enspell it up and slam the wall down
                Private First Class - Mamool Ja Training Grounds - Pre-Emptive Strike - 2 melees + 1 RDM will be able to take this one down with relative easy

Combined with your experience in L.Sanctum, that covers 4 of the 5 areas. Just spam that a few more times to rank up to First Class.
                [LadyKiKi]
                Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
                .:|The Prototype BST|:.
                Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Originally posted by LadyKiKi View Post
                  Private First Class - Ilrusi Atoll - Lamia 13, spam dispel on the fomors.
                  Bring along 2 BLMs and this assault is easily burnable.

Private Second Class - Lebros Caverns, spam DoT stuff on the walls or enspell it up and slam the wall down.
                  This assault is good for skilling up your 200+ weapons also.

Private First Class - Mamool Ja Training Grounds - Pre-Emptive Strike - 2 melees + 1 RDM will be able to take this one down with relative easy
                  You can bust out your DD awesomeness on this one too and get decent XP/Limit points
                  sigpic

Comment

Now I just need to make friends with two high level BLMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                      Why do you choose to favor haste more in the /dnc build but not so much in the /nin one?
                      In a word: Accuracy.

You loose 6 acc and 4% haste by slipping out of HQ rings, taking off goliard and loosing /dnc, but gain 13 STR, And 24 Atk (+ 6 from the added STR.) The STR will toss me up to my fSTR cap on Blau and the Attack helps offset the disadvantage I have under non-colibri mobs.

Trading Goliard for Morrigan's is a no-brainer as I loose the curing effectiveness of /DNC but gain back some of the ACC lost and the Auto Refresh is a kicker that makes it more effective: More MP flowing in means less convert needing, which is lost time and MP.

So the real weigh-in comes between Oily Trousers and Nash Legs. Factoring in Food's effect on Oily Trousers, it's a 10 Accuracy Difference, more than what the 2% haste and Magic Accuracy will afford me. Also, this puts me at Cap Accuracy with most merit mobs while breaking 100 STR and DEX in TP gear.

This makes it easier to swap out just my haste pieces for more Attack, STR, and DEX as I see fit without harming my accuracy at all for Evisceration.

So I loose 6% haste for MORE than % 6 Offensive Performance return. As /nin is more damage orientated than /dnc is, this is more important. If I thought I could ditch the Morrigan's and Keep Goliard I might re access that, but there's just too much all around utility in that body peice, and after 4% haste lost, 2 more for 10 more ACC ends up favoring the Accuracy.

/DNC however, is a main healing build focused more around speed and accuracy and less around offense. What I loose out in damage output gets made up in fact that I'm dishing out an additional 5% defense down for the whole party. The additional haste paired off with single wielding Joy gives me much faster TP building for Waltzes and steps, keeping the occasional WS a possibility. Though, it would require a much larger gear swap than my /nin build. It also gives me the advantage of the use of Enspell II line, giving me MORE damage from my enspells due to how Joytoy balances out, on top of getting the advantage from my own Samba's when I double-attack.

While the 42 MP on Goliard Body is not nearly as potent an MP help as Auto-refresh could be, that plus it's effect on my TP building for waltzes ends up pulling it ahead as a whole in this niche situation.

Of course Food is Subjective in either one of these cases. In bird camps I'm likely to use Bream in both situations, and may stick to Sole for /dnc outside that as well. I do plan on capping out STR merits for lack of anything really better to merit in general stats, so that will help offset the STR loss for birds, and push the extra difference on Mamool Ja and anything else more defensive I might end up meleeing.

Just two different approaches for two different roles. There are oppertunities when going too much into haste can be determent to a RDM's damage more so than what the overall effects of better pieces can give you. These two builds are a good example of how the role changes the RDM.

Art done by Fred Perry.

Comment

If you are still skilling solo on steelshells then you should know that even in fairly mediocre rdm gear (I promise I am working on it so as not to embarrass the job) subbing Warrior and using Defender along with Phalanx and Protect IV makes Steelshells hit very weakly. Of course kill speed drops, but more swings>more skillups.

Comment

Cocoon > Defender

sig courtesy tgm
                          retired -08

Comment

Without debating the merits of rdm/war vs rdm/blu, yes Cocoon does provide more Defence than Defender. It doesn't eliminate rdm/war as an valid job combo for skillups.

For reference, the reason I was using it was to tank for a samurai breaking a latent in the previous skillup session to get parry and shield skillup.

Comment

Ahhh well granted that yes than /WAR is good but as the saying goes, everything is situational.

sig courtesy tgm
                              retired -08

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                                Now I just need to make friends with two high level BLMs.
                                Lamia No. 13 can be done with:

RDM
                                BLM/RDM
                                SCH/RDM (Manifestation Dispel FTW)
                                SMN (again AoE Dispel)
                                COR
                                BRD

Only thing you need to do to win Lamia no. 13 fight is make sure the shade mobs stay dispelled, they will do the work on Lamia No. 13 for you and you'll most likely beat it anyway.

Important to keep up Reraise, Refresh/Ballad/Evoker's, Stoneskin and Blink on, but also as Important is keeping the Lamia DoTed. Bio, Quick Draw, Helix magic, Requiem, etc.

Lather, Rinse and Repeat until you have Pahluwhan body or Yigit Turban.

Also, this topic is proving why RDM melee topics make my brain hurt - you guys completely ignore the most obvious, obtainable, practical and free melee body in the game for RDM (and quite a few others) in favor of impractical, time consuming, expensive hybrid ones that are ultimately casting/resting pieces. Yes, they have a melee stat on them, but in contrast to Pahluwhan, they also give up more of that melee stat to offer something to your casting side. This is always the case with hybrid gear.

In short:

I'm the one on the right.

Comment

Working...
                                X