This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapons for PLD

I was just curious what type of weapons some a PLD use beside Sword/Shield. Should PLD use Gswords, Clubs, or Staves since i was told they are pretty good in all those skills. Also should a pld only use sword/shield when xping?

Thanks in Advance
    "The secret to immortality is to live a life worth remembering." -Bruce Lee

And to think i could kill every man, woman, and child here if i wanted to. The Power of Death is Intoxicating

Re: Weapons for PLD

it would be incredibly silly for a PLD to use anything other than sword+shield in XP parties. earth staff, GS and clubs are strictly for outside of XP use.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

I'm seeing more and more plds switching for earth staff in xp pt tho. On stuff not too tough they still use swords.
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Some high level PLDs use Earth Staff in XP parties once they get access to Spirit Taker, especially against hard-hitting enemies like Weapons. Most PLDs XP with Sword/Shield. I've never seen a PLD using Club successfully (except maybe Kraken Club for Moonlight when they aren't main tanking or something, but even that's pretty flaky).

Icemage

Comment

If youre being hit for 200+ dmg a hit in EXP, you may want to try out earthstaff. I personally am a shield enthusiast but....sometimes earthstaff is very nice for EXP situations. At lv75 in fast chain exp pts or POSSIBLY 66-69 with a PT who can work around it, Gsword can be of use for closing light skillchains with spinslash. At lv75 on bones primate staff can be nice too if you have capped skill, but dont expect to be able to use it every bone PT However you will very rarely have a PT where you can use it effectively. As for club in exp pt...POSSIBLY if you have kraken club and the mob doesnt have bad TP effects. Otherwise...just no. Basically, sword+shield most of the time, but there are situations in which other weapons are acceptable.
          Calin - Ragnarok

Comment

I only use earth staff against the slow hard hitting mobs that I can't hit back very hard, like Wyverns, Manticores, and Statues. For weapons, I stick with sword and shield. I haven't gotten staff up high enough (260/269) to try exping with a Kinkobo. I find dealing more damage with a sword more useful than having lots of MP. But having staff leveled is definitely helpful. Like, you can use a sword and shield mainly, then switch to a staff to use spirit taker once and fill up on MP. Then switch back to sword. I haven't found Greatsword being worthwhile to use at all. I do more DoT with a sword, but I have't had GS capped for a while. Back when I did, I couldn't hit worth crap, and I didn't like losing my shield. Club can be used in rare occations against blunt weak mobs. The only club worth using though is the Martial Wand. Kraken club doesn't do enough damage and just feeds TP to the mob. Even then, a Company Sword will deal slightly more damage than the Martial Wand against blunt weak mobs. So unless you use a Company Sword(with a full party), club can be used on bones and pots. True Strike is also a very strong WS. Pretty easy to break 200+ damage with True Strike consistently, but is not always worth the lower DoT. If you want to keep anything leveled for sure, I would suggest staff and sword. Club and greatsword have a few uses, but will never be as helpful, or worth the effort, like a sword and staff.

Be like a Paladin.
            Take the hit, shrug it off, and ask if their mom hits any harder.

Comment

Earth staff is great on some things but horrible on others, I usually carry both sword/shield and a Earth staff to be safe. Also PLD can be a DD if you have NIN leveled and have enough gil for the right equipment

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

If Practice Makes Perfect, And Nobody Is Perfect, Then Why Practice?

Comment

I'd rather use WAR sub for DD'ing. Double attack, attack bonous, warcry, berserk. They all outweight dual wield. Thats why only WAR is a good DD with NIN sub (excluding RNG).

Be like a Paladin.
                Take the hit, shrug it off, and ask if their mom hits any harder.

Comment

Originally posted by csBahamut
                  I'd rather use WAR sub for DD'ing. Double attack, attack bonous, warcry, berserk. They all outweight dual wield. Thats why only WAR is a good DD with NIN sub (excluding RNG).
                  with reveilers horn, pld/nin becomes the ultimate tank, with earth staff, they cure themselves IF a hit gets through, and they will not loose hate EVER, and /nin is not bad for utsusemi if u think about it

Keyura [Remora] ★ WHM52/BLM26 ★ BRD75/WHM37 ★ BLM62/WHM31 ★ SMN33/WHM16 ★ RNG15/WAR7 ★ BST19/WHM9 ★ (Active in Red)
                  Greenkingdom LS to chat, Akui LS for sky, and Higeki LS for dynamis.
                  Saroku [Unicorn] ★ WHM5 ★ (Active in Red)

Pingpong used his Masamune, but Keyura dodged! Pingpong's anger grows by 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyura
                    with reveilers horn, pld/nin becomes the ultimate tank, with earth staff, they cure themselves IF a hit gets through, and they will not loose hate EVER, and /nin is not bad for utsusemi if u think about it
                    Hmm, maybe old, but after the Utsu nerf, I don't think being a PLD/NIN works anymore.

JP

brave; integritous; commanding
                    New sig. Thank you Graelinn of BeastInTheSack (Garuda)
                    75 ナイト, 37 戦士, 31 忍者, 18 シーフ, 16 モンク, 8 侍, others: level 1 T_T.
                    ナイト 怒 (いかり)(Level 75 ナ/Level 37 戦)

Comment

Why not? They can Flash and use all sorts of Abilities to hold hate.

Comment

Originally posted by lionx
                        Why not? They can Flash and use all sorts of Abilities to hold hate.
                        Mmm... no. It's been tried. PLD/NIN cannot hold hate without an exorbitant amount of help from Trick Attacks, maybely because you can't use any of the faster-casting elemental Ninjutsu : Ni type attacks to help accumulate enmity (they're all level 40). It's definitely not viable in an XP situation, but it DOES hold up well under some HNM situations (CoP wyrms) if you have some way of dropping extra enmity onto the PLD/NIN.

Icemage

Comment

Cause of the fact that you having no voke renders you completely useless. Especially gaining hate. Refresh on Flash is about 30sec's longer than Voke. And the other JA's are practically pointless if someone does about 1k damage (again making it useless). Using all your JA's during 1 fight (if you're on an EXP party) is pointless, worthless and a waste of time. Plus Utsu got nerfed where you lose hate whenever you get hit. Again, making PLD/NIN worthless. I dunno about having a crap load of enmity though.

JP
                          Last edited by JP_Ikari; 07-25-2005, 05:00 PM.

brave; integritous; commanding
                          New sig. Thank you Graelinn of BeastInTheSack (Garuda)
                          75 ナイト, 37 戦士, 31 忍者, 18 シーフ, 16 モンク, 8 侍, others: level 1 T_T.
                          ナイト 怒 (いかり)(Level 75 ナ/Level 37 戦)

Comment

Well of course i am not saying PLD/NIN should be the norm, but it wouldnt be worthless would it? I would expect the PLD mainjob to be able to hold hate at least decently with Haste on (37 recast for Flash i think). Course never as well but is it really that far to say its worthless for everything?

Comment

Originally posted by JP_Ikari
                              Cause of the fact that you having no voke renders you completely useless.
                              I think Keyura was referring to Reviler's Helm, which has charges of Provoke. Of course, the cooldown is 10 minutes and after 30 shots you have to kill Vrtra to get another one ... yeah, sounds terribly impractical to me too. I think he was just being facetious.
                              lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Working...
                              X