Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forthcoming Job Adjustments (i.e. vague developer details from JP button)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forthcoming Job Adjustments (i.e. vauge developer details from JP button)

Originally posted by Kasandaro View Post
    If they do make a Syphon spell, it needs to have some way to compensate for the fact that a significant number of mobs don't have mp.
    Why? No compensation was made for any other MP draining spell.

Originally posted by Firewind
    I'm talking about native abilities to regain MP
    The subjob system exists for a reason. Honestly, the way players want the game to go you might as well just throw out the job system and give every character every spell and ability.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
      Both BLM and SCH would give you subbable aspirs. BLU, too.

No point.
      I think you missed the point. It wasn't a matter of having access to Aspir from a subjob (which you can't get from /BLU, btw), but access to a light-based aspir. I don't think it's too far out of the question, since SE gave us a light-based sleep spell.

Additionally, if you're subbing SCH, you're not doing much harm by being in Dark Arts and curing people. Worst of it is it slows your casting down a little, recast is hardly even effective and the additional MP cost is a joke. So you can actually whore out Aspir a couple times before going back to Light Arts.

Also, if you really believe you need Clear Mind V to keep up, something's wrong with your +hMP build. As a SCH with Sublimation merits, I will break Stoneskin while resting if I don't use my +hMP and MND build, so I need to keep a good +hMP and MND build if I'm low on MP so I can get back up to full quickly and preserve as much Stoneskin as I can.
      I don't have any problems with my hMP build. Actually, I can refill my MP from 0 to full before stoneskin wears off (from sublimation /SCH) with my max hMP build (it takes about 2.5 mins).

I was merely asking what the community thought about giving this trait to WHMs, specifically if BLMs and SMNs would gripe about SE 'giving away' one of their traits.

The fact that you break stoneskin using sublimation while resting on SCH main with merits is quite irrelevant, but thanks for sharing.

WHM99 - RDM99 - WAR99 - BRD99 - MNK99 - BLM99 - DNC99 - SCH 99 - BST 99
      WorldSlayers ~ Asura http://sillygalka.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: Forthcoming Job Adjustments (i.e. vague developer details from JP button)

Pretty sure WHM has A+ club...

EDIT: Wtf, it's B+ O.o why did I always think it was A....
        PLD is the only job with A's in Staff and Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Kasandaro View Post
          If they do make a Syphon spell, it needs to have some way to compensate for the fact that a significant number of mobs don't have mp.
          Aspir doesn't work on mobs that don't have MP, aspir samba doesn't work on mobs that don't have MP, MP drainkiss doesn't work on mobs that don't have MP, there's no reason for a light-based aspir to break the mold.

WHM99 - RDM99 - WAR99 - BRD99 - MNK99 - BLM99 - DNC99 - SCH 99 - BST 99
          WorldSlayers ~ Asura http://sillygalka.blogspot.com

Comment

I just thought of something that oughta be added to FFXI... that ability Druids (i think it was) in WoW have, where they place totems that grant aura-effects to party members.

Similar to how Avatar aura-effects have been proposed, but for some other job who can use them, and the totems wouldn't be able to move either which would be their biggest drawback, specially if their range was limited enough.

What if WHM could cast a spell that would leave a circle that would be either presented as a magical drawing on the ground or as a "loop" of light floating above the ground, standing inside this circle would grant certain buffs like Conserve MP+, or Clear Mind+, I wouldn't go as far as granting refresh though... that would break RDM a little, even if BLU, PLD and DRK wouldnt benefit from these spells most of the time...

I also wouldnt add anything but mage-speficic buffs as to not upset the balance too much, seeing as melees seem to already having too much fun with their 4-digit WSs.

Crazy nuts ideas:

A magic circle that draws magic from where it has been placed, lets say it draws like 300MP, standing in this circle grants 300MP boost divided by all the players that are standing on it, this reserve tics away over time and gets dispelled once the reserve either expires or players use it up.

A magic circle granting Conserve MP+ AND Clear Mind+, maybe add a multiplier or something to what the player already has.

A magic circle that draws HP from an enemy every so often and cures players standing on the circle for the ammount drained divided by each player, actually damaging the enemy like a DoT.

A magic circle that grants resistance to certain status ailments that would prevent one's movements and casting, like Petrify, Stun, Silence. Kinda like Bar-spells but for actual resists.

A magic circle that simply does damage over time, much stronger than the HP drain one.

Able only to summon a single of these magic circles every 10 minutes and each one lasting for like 5 minutes only... or something.

Yeah, sometimes I hav spurts of nonsense too, but these actually sound cool ideas i thinks.

Oh no I am Malacite!
            signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
              I just thought of something that oughta be added to FFXI... that ability Druids (i think it was) in WoW have, where they place totems that grant aura-effects to party members.
              This is why I loved PLD in Diablo 2 so much >.>
              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Remember, static magic circles with aura effects.

I still want aura-effects on SMN avatars.

Comment

Originally posted by Truece View Post
                  I think you missed the point. It wasn't a matter of having access to Aspir from a subjob (which you can't get from /BLU, btw), but access to a light-based aspir. I don't think it's too far out of the question, since SE gave us a light-based sleep spell.
                  I love how these days if you simply disagree with a point, that you've automatically "missed the point."

[Idea stealing from another job] is never a good point, its the antithesis of SE's job design. Anything remotely similar to to another ability in this game runs under a totally different dynamic. RDMs get butthurt over the fact BLU has A- in sword, but fail to consider that Sword skill has an effect on Blue Magic, as does other melee stats.

SCH does not simply have a knock-off of Seigan and Hasso, Light Arts and Dark Arts take the "stance" appliaction and everything from that point on isn't very similar. COR got "charges" for Quick Draw like SCHs get strategem charges, but aside from them having charges, its a to a totally different end. Stratagems alter spells, Quick Draws enhance applied enfeebles, Dispel and Sleep.

Light Based sleep previously existed within three jobs before WHM was given repose, so we're not exactly stealing from another job here, particularly since they all have differing levels of potency and different means of making them accurate.

At this point in the game, there is nothing WHM needs for MP recovery. You have access to Aspir, Light Arts, Penury, Sublimation and Auto Refresh all under subjobs. There are insane amounts +hMP gear, MP Foods, Sanction Refresh, Vermy cloak - and that's all before mentioning BRD, COR or RDM.

WHMs act like nothing has changed for them. They're only right about that in the meritting department - nothing suggested thus far would change a thing in that arena. You've been granted crowd control ability with Repose and Celerity, MP independance with Sublimation and refresh gear and a melee sub that lets you spend TP on cures instead of MP. And teleport spells.

What more can SE do - short of abolishing TP burn - to please you?
                  Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Free gilz.

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                      According to Wiki Colibri are RDMs so you're right about them having MP

WTF??? I thought they were THF type mobs due to their eva and ability to steal ur food
                      Originally posted by Van Wilder
                      Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
                      Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
                      I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

I thought they'd be blus based on the ability to "learn" spells from you, but their attributes and traits match rdm's.
                        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                          I thought they'd be blus based on the ability to "learn" spells from you, but their attributes and traits match rdm's.

Somewhat of a de-rail here but, if theyre RDM type mobs, and they have mp, do they expend mp when they reflect spells back at you? And if so, can they run OUT of mp and not be able to reflect anymore?
                          Originally posted by Van Wilder
                          Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
                          Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
                          I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

Originally posted by hexx View Post
                            Somewhat of a de-rail here but, if theyre RDM type mobs, and they have mp, do they expend mp when they reflect spells back at you? And if so, can they run OUT of mp and not be able to reflect anymore?
                            Iirc, some strategies for HNMs back in the day involved kiting them until they ran out of mp. I don't know if they changed that but I doubt it. If mobs have mp proportional to their hp, though, you'd have to get them to reflect a few dozen AMs before they ran out.
                            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

WHMs act like nothing has changed for them. They're only right about that in the meritting department - nothing suggested thus far would change a thing in that arena. You've been granted crowd control ability with Repose and Celerity, MP independance with Sublimation and refresh gear and a melee sub that lets you spend TP on cures instead of MP. And teleport spells.
                              I'd like to note that I was meriting with a taru BRD yesterday who was WHM/SCH. The guy almost never needed ballad and was constantly above 600 MP, often 800+.
                              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

First of all: thanks to the developers who participated in this interview, and thanks to Elmer the Pointy for translating and posting it.

Originally posted by Kendai Mitsutoshi
                                Right now, the category caps on battle-related merits act like shackles on some players with several level 75 jobs.
                                Yes, they actually get the problem! This is great news.

What they're going to do about it, I don't know, but I'm glad they're looking at it.
                                Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                                RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                                All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Working...
                                X