Announcement

Collapse

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM!

In order to properly organize all the questions in to an appropriate list for the administration team to compile in to a list to be submitted to Square Enix, please post ONE QUESTION PER THREAD ONLY!

If you are not asking a question, do NOT post a thread, please take your discussions elsewhere. If you wish to comment on a question, or provide an answer to a question, please post a reply, but any questions inside a thread that is not the first post of the thread will be ignored.

For the subject line, please put one of the things:
A.) Put the question in the subject line and the message.
OR
B.) If the question is too long, put part of the question and then repeat the entire question in the post.

Please make sure a thread with the same question does not already exists, or your thread may be merged or deleted.

Threads that do not conform to these rules may be overlooked and not added to the list to be submitted to SquareEnix.

Disclaimer: Things subject to change without notice, especially if SquareEnix decides to change it on us.

Thank you,
AKosygin
FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
See more
See less

Do we really need to buy a security token?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do we really need to buy a security token?

Originally posted by Armando View Post
    Gonna play devil's advocate here since I don't believe this will actually happen, but the issue isn't quite so simple if bundling hotly demanded in-game benefits ("Now your macros are 15 lines long!") with $10 trinkets becomes a habit for them. Couple that with regular add-on scenario releases and you wouldn't be looking at $22 instead of $12 every 2-3 months.

That's besides the fact that there was clearly nothing stopping them from implementing the Mog Satchel for free, which is uncool even if buying the satchel is no big deal.

True, but said offers dont happen on a monthly basis. If every month they were offering such things, or if they made some kind of "online store" the way PlayStation did for "Home" then yeah I would see as them dabbling in RMT.
    Originally posted by Van Wilder
    Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
    Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
    I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

yeah so far there has only been two "RMT" items, that Talasmin, and the security token, both come with ingame items.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
        yeah so far there has only been two "RMT" items, that Talasmin, and the security token, both come with ingame items.

But do they REALLY count as RMT items? The Talisman came with an actual item, which just so happend to include an ingame item also, same thing with the security token. The in-game items are really just extras, whether someone buys said item JUST for the in-game item is pure based on personal preference.
        Originally posted by Van Wilder
        Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
        Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
        I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

Originally posted by hexx View Post
          But do they REALLY count as RMT items? The Talisman came with an actual item, which just so happend to include an ingame item also, same thing with the security token. The in-game items are really just extras, whether someone buys said item JUST for the in-game item is pure based on personal preference.
          thats why I said "RMT" and not RMT ;p

I dont really see it as full on RMT

Comment

It's harder to argue that the satchel is "just an extra" since it makes life soooo much easier for you. The Talisman's in-game bonus was pretty weak. But at the same time, the real-life talisman itself was weak as hell as well. When you're trying to sell me a cheap random trinket with a random backstory as opposed to a recognizable item from the game, and you bundle it with an in-game benefit, it's inevitable that it looks suspicious.

Comment

Eh, well the way I see it, its one thing for the game itself to practice RMT, to a point, because most of the time. They sell things that wont kill the games economy, like EX items and such, where as the illegal RMT, is done without permission, and floods an economy with to much currency.

Comment

Originally posted by WishMaster3K View Post
                News flash, everyone; the Security Token isn't a big hassle. Nor is it complicated to use.
                Hassle = doing something I don't need to do just to get the benefit of the Satchel. Not so much the entering of the codes, but the principal behind it. Paying for a useless piece of equipment to get something they can clearly add into the game with no effort.

I don't need the fucking thing because I'm on a console. If someone wants to steal my entire 360 and game cases, then that's about all they can do to get the thing.

Don't fucking insult my intelligence.
                "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

good lord people getting mad over this...

you pay $10 TEN DOLLARS!

and you get better security and extra inventory space for all your characters.

"they could have done this for free" yes they could have, but at the same time, its a one time.... ONE TIME fee of $10...... deal with it.

Comment

Novelette type of scenarios (ACP and the rest) should be 3 bucks each, not 10.

Now that's what I call a hassle (for my wallet.)
                    sigpic
                    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Kailea: How about you deal with people's posts? That's kind of what forums are for.

Comment

Damn, this thread is still alive? o_O
                        ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                          Kailea: How about you deal with people's posts? That's kind of what forums are for.
                          dealing with post? please, I am just enjoying the fact that people are being all bitchy about $10

Comment

So you're saying that it's ok to RMT, as long as you only do it in $10 increments?

That used to be around two million back in the worst of FFXI's days, if my memory serves me right.

It doesn't matter what price SE is selling it for, RMT is RMT. Whether you define this as RMT is a valid question, whether you consider it bad RMT is a valid question, how much RMT has to cost in order to be RMT is just silly.

Comment

@Feba You have a point, but RMT in this sense is not considered real money trading in the original negative outlook that the player base towards it. RMT in this sense is like paying for a mule. You give SE one dollar to give you another entity to run around and use in the world, and also abuse the fact that it is there. Case in point the lottery, how many people filled up all their mules with the lotto in hopes of hitting big? Or the Ein LSs that drag mules to the wings so they have the clear status to allow the LS to go fight odin. It is a transaction that is outside of the game that involves real money for something in the game. So this token is no different then paying for a mule, or an account. My only issue with RMT beside it being against the rules is the fact that people buy a game and then want to spend money for someone to play a portion of the game for them, how much gil a person has and spends to me is still an achievement as the hardship of gaining it. It messes up the economy too, but even if the econmoy messed up again I would just deal with it like I did in the past. The token doesnt bother me and as of such I don't care if it is right or wrong because it is not required, and I have been gimped for so long that one more thing I don't have is not going to cause me much grief.

@Telera the secuirty token does not protect your xbox any more then it protects the dress shoes you have in the closet. What it is is a implementation security tactic to reduce need for SE to deal with account highjacks just like the digital keyboard to trick keyloggers. Now the fact that it doesn't protect the piece of plastic hunk of red ringging goodness isn't the point. It protects your account which has your address. If you didn't know addresses alone can make money through junk mailers. So they sell your address to mailers. Or worst case if they can use that info to get a full details statement sent to them then now they have a way to get other scores of information. Everything has a price you just have to find a buyer.Plus incase you didn't know some banks will allow a person to order a credit card with the name address and last 4 digits of the social.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                                So you're saying that it's ok to RMT, as long as you only do it in $10 increments?

That used to be around two million back in the worst of FFXI's days, if my memory serves me right.

It doesn't matter what price SE is selling it for, RMT is RMT. Whether you define this as RMT is a valid question, whether you consider it bad RMT is a valid question, how much RMT has to cost in order to be RMT is just silly.
                                no RMT (done by anyone other then the company that owns the game) is bad

RMT, done the way Blizzard and SE do it, is perfectly fine, is has no effect on the economy at all, and that is the real reason RMT is bad in the first place.

now if SE started selling gil themselves, I would be in line to bitch and complain to SE, but what they are doing now is perfectly fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X