Announcement

Collapse

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM!

In order to properly organize all the questions in to an appropriate list for the administration team to compile in to a list to be submitted to Square Enix, please post ONE QUESTION PER THREAD ONLY!

If you are not asking a question, do NOT post a thread, please take your discussions elsewhere. If you wish to comment on a question, or provide an answer to a question, please post a reply, but any questions inside a thread that is not the first post of the thread will be ignored.

For the subject line, please put one of the things:
A.) Put the question in the subject line and the message.
OR
B.) If the question is too long, put part of the question and then repeat the entire question in the post.

Please make sure a thread with the same question does not already exists, or your thread may be merged or deleted.

Threads that do not conform to these rules may be overlooked and not added to the list to be submitted to SquareEnix.

Disclaimer: Things subject to change without notice, especially if SquareEnix decides to change it on us.

Thank you,
AKosygin
FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
See more
See less

Do we really need to buy a security token?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do we really need to buy a security token?

It's not RMT, because it's SE's game, and they can do what they want. Hell, "our" characters don't even belong to us.

That is all.
    The Tao of Ren
    FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
    Originally posted by Kaeko
    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by WishMaster3K View Post
      It's not RMT, because it's SE's game, and they can do what they want.
      Uh. That's nothing to do with it.

RMT stands for Real Money Trading. As in, the act of trading Real Money (legal tender) for in game bonuses or benefits (items, gold/gil, leveling). Plenty of MMOs endorse or even encourage RMT. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, it's just the way some companies do business.

Comment

It does seem vaguely RMTish to me. Yes, I know it was an incentive to push the people who were 'on the fence', and as a large portion of the players of this game are PC players, it makes sense for them to do. Those of us on the console though, essentially buy a useless piece of equipment to get the space, and for me, I see it as a bit unfair that there is no in-game method to obtain the storage. I have no designs on ever moving to PC for XI. Nor XIV. I need an excuse for my PS3 to exist anyway, what with the utter lack of games that interest me on it at the moment. And incentives can't cure people of stupid. Plenty of PC people are clearly still not using Tokens anyway (see: the fact that there's still account jacking), so it didn't seem to alleviate the problem that much even with the incentive.

I would love to have the space, so I could cancel my mule and save myself a dollar a month. Not much but it'd be something. It'd also save me time muling shit around when I changed jobs. 'Who has my rings? Caeryn? Aeria? Fuck, I don't remember.' and I proceed to waste time finding out. If I had a Satchel I could keep it all on Telera. Aside from the account issues, it's just an extra hassle for me to have to have the thing, deal with the code, all for inventory. Sure, I could unsync it from my account, but then it would make it super-for-realz! RMT for me, as I would've paid money just for in game space, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. No, the space isn't a need, but it's a want, and RMT in MMOs has always preyed on that aspect. So I'd feel compelled to keep the Token active, only to be annoyed by it, as someone would have to literally jack my XI cases to get access to my codes as it currently stands. And if they take those, they probably also took all my actual valuables, too, and a MMO account would be the least of my worries.
        "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

Well i thought I'd give it a go and went tot eh order page only to find "we appologise but all keys have been purchased, we are awaiting a new shipment for the manufacturers"

Comment

Originally posted by Jarre View Post
            Well i thought I'd give it a go and went tot eh order page only to find "we appologise but all keys have been purchased, we are awaiting a new shipment for the manufacturers"
            I was wondering when that was going to happen. I kinda figured it would've been closer to launch though.
            {New Sig in the works}
            -----------------------
            "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
            "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
            Originally posted by Solymir
            What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

To the the security key is the safest way to do pass codes. no one can screw with it, or intercept your code from the device (at least anyone wanting to hack you)

Using other devices can only lead to error on the part of those devices, and adding the in game storage, was just the extra boost SE needed to get more players to get the token. If 100% of the players would get said token, there would be alot letss problems.....

but of course then we have the morons that get the key, just for the game storage, then turn their key off... -.- or the ones that don't get it to begin with, now you really don't have any excuses to cry about, when you do get hacked.

As far as TGM story though..... that is really odd, not sure how they got his info *shrugs* but I am sure there is something on his system.

at first I was not going to get it, then they talked about the storage, and I was like "mmm thats cool I will think about it" then hearing that it would work for FFXIV as well, and that it would use the new site SE made. I figured I would make a future investment and get my stuff over to the new system ;p
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post

As far as TGM story though..... that is really odd, not sure how they got his info *shrugs* but I am sure there is something on his system.
                No, there wasn't anything on his system.
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                  No, there wasn't anything on his system.
                  if thats the case, then I am truly confused

Comment

Ya so are we. But after he scrutinized his system to see if it was on his end and found nothing, we started thinking it over. Why would SE all of a sudden give great customer service? I mean it took days to get his account back to snuff and some people that have had theirs hacked wait months to get their stuff back. It just didn't seemed off...kind of like "oops we better get this straightened out quick before anyone notices".
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                      Ya so are we. But after he scrutinized his system to see if it was on his end and found nothing, we started thinking it over. Why would SE all of a sudden give great customer service? I mean it took days to get his account back to snuff and some people that have had theirs hacked wait months to get their stuff back. It just didn't seemed off...kind of like "oops we better get this straightened out quick before anyone notices".
                      <ConspiracyTheory>
                      SE hired the RMTs to do it and gave all of our information to a third party...
                      </ConspiracyTheory>

That conspiracy theory is not mine lol, but I do remember somebody mentioning it as a possibility around the time when the accounts first started being stolen.

(Edit: Now that I think about it, I think it was somebody that came to the forums after their account had been stolen a 2nd time and said that.)
                      (Editx2:
                      Originally posted by mira View Post
                      I still think it odd that no key logger was found. I think FFXI has employees that are doing it.
                      It was from this topic LOL.)
                      {New Sig in the works}
                      -----------------------
                      "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                      "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                      Originally posted by Solymir
                      What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

News flash, everyone; the Security Token isn't a big hassle. Nor is it complicated to use.

If making a master account and typing in TWO passwords is more confusing for you than typing in one, then you shouldn't be playing FFXI in the first place.

The worst thing that can happen is you lose your keys (and in that case, you have bigger problems).

Want to know something ELSE that's a New Flash? If you don't like the Security Token, nor do you have no desire to buy it, then, in case you didn't realize it, You Don't Have To Buy It.

This has been brought to you by the letter F for "Fuck off."
                        The Tao of Ren
                        FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                        Originally posted by Kaeko
                        As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Well, this was a thoroughly interesting read.

Here's one of my thoughts: (Let's start with a definition)

RMT - Real Money Trading - is really just something of a misnomer.... aaannnnd a flawed conceptual phrase coined by alot of of us gamers to perpetuate our distaste and frustration for the process of organized groups of people taking advantage of time and space (while we're all at work 9-5) in an MMORPG world and using it to amass large amounts of "insert virutal item something here," (e.g. money, items, accounts, etc. etc.) then selling it/them to gamers for their real world currency. The process is such that the VI is researched, farmed, then traded to prospective (and willing) gamers/clients in exchange for "insert your country's currency here." The whole concept is viewed as a derogatory action when compared to the virutallly (no pun intended) flawless concept of MMORPG gaming and its subtle, yet delicate balance of "fair game play."

With this in mind, it seems to me that in this thread, someone (I won't name name's) is pointing out the fact that Squeeenix is advocating the idea of RMT, while preaching the gospel of "help us help you save uR aKouNt tewDeY, buY Our StuFF called 'saffe ur aKouNts LyFe TOKun! 1337!!!! 9.95$! FREE 80 STORUGE SPACES'" which is clearly a violation of the unspoken Gamer's Act of 1986 (I'll insert the 1986 NES date, because whining about cheating in videogames has been goin on since, at the very least, the Nintendo Power Days) which dictates "One shall not exhange your real world cash to buy items obtained by foreign investors in a virtually created world, for the simple fact of gaining an advantage over other people....... CUZ ITZ KNOT FAIR -kick sand from the sandbox in ur eye-."

In other words, SE is being hypocritical by offering something to security token buyers that is very beneficial (like 80 free fkn spaces of inventory that solves ALOT OF PROBLEMS AND MAKES LIFE HAPPIER, Yay -hugs his Mog Satchel-) and only making it available to people that spend IRL cash to get the token, whereas, others (who either can't afford or simply are simply pipe smokers on the proverbial political bandwagon of RMT IS EVIL, EVIL I SAY) are left out who cannot or refuse to pay additional moneys to secure said token (sad, destitute, having to spend 30 minutes just to mule 2 jobs worth of gear.... oh the sheer agony.)

Basically, it's a matter of "why TF do I have to suffer when I'm playing fairly, while you pay your money and get blessed by the gods, ITS CHEATING, evol, .. boo hiss!!"

Well, you have to excuse me if I'm being condescending, but I feel it's warranted, because to be perfectly honest with you, it's just a game. None of this is meant to be taken seriously. It's entertainment. Sure, there's rules to it as it is a game, but anyone with half a brain knows that there's always that %age of people who believe "rules were made to be broken" and breaks them. Now, making the correlation that SE is advocating RMT practices are just trash thoughs of a fool because... seriously.... LIKE SE has the time to even think about crap like that when they're busy running the behind the scenes of a multi-million dollar company that makes more money than you've ever seen in your puny less than a quarter of a hundred years lifespan.

And to be perfectly honest with you, isn't even the act of selling an online-game play that is actually just completely subjective and imaginitive and has no real physical world worth except in the form of fleeting entertainment, a real money trade in and of itself? Squeeenix has already sold you something that is intangible by offering you the ability to play on their servers. You've already committed the sin of RMT by simply playing the game online. How can you then turn around and hatefully lecture the same company for practing an act that you, yourself, engage in on a daily basis and have willfully subjected yourself to by playing online and paying for it? Why complain about now having to pay for something else? (Well... maybe YOU don't lol according to the peeps on the board here.) I'll tell you why! Because.... The moto has always been "work hard, play hard, drink gatorade," the moto has never been "work seriously, play seriously, WHINE on forums that SE advocates RMT practices.... SE IS THE DEVIL... seriously." But guess what...... -shakes head-

There's no conspiracy theory (have you ever wondered at the psychological stability of the people that pursue and peruse the concepts of conspiracy theories to being with?), there's no hidden agenda. There's only smart marketing going on. Hundred's of thousands of corporations use it. Basically, SE began with having ALOT of spike in their tech support calls with people complaining about game hacking, loss of accounts and items; in general, account compromisal. Then there was that nasty little season where the Squeeenix servers were being attacked by 3rd party software (the haxx0rz) and R0 was a common occurence on all severs. There was a meeting... in fact, there were several meetings over the span of the next season, and several things occurred with SE; then later something major occured.

#1 They created the Special Task Force. (Everyone knows what this is.)
                          #2 They created the virutal key board for log-in purposes.
                          #3 They created the Security Token.
                          (Quite possibly missing some of their actions here, but this is from memory.)

If I put myself in the shoes of the corporation, (believe me, I work at a company of high end politics, I know how corporations think.) SE figured that their "investment" was being compromised by sheer, petty annoyances, that were left unhandled & unfettered until the issues exploded in a major issue of account verification and their customer retention was at an all time high, therefore, they did some checking and Research & Development came up with the token (CUZ WOW WAS DOIN IT SO CAN WE) in order to save their potential customer base from going off to some other competitor (WOW is definitely their biggest and caters to the mentally challeneged[just mo, feel free to scream at me that WOW is kind, wonderful, blissland of happyhappyjoyjoy].) Because we're dealing with Japanese corporate men, the Japanese culture is inherrantly obsessed with workplace philosphy that caters to their religious beliefs, so they concern themselves with the low man (you the gamer, the buyer, the herd) and your happiness and bring you something that will assist in keeping your account much safer by use of a token device, dongle, etc. that is virtually impossible to hack (not that I've seen any info yet on how to hack it, but I'm still looking.... only out of sheer nerdness lol, so I say impossible because that's SE's point of view [POV]) Because they've been playing around with the idea on how to introduce the token in a way "the herd" will favorably accept it, they use quite brilliantly conceived marketing strategy and offer additional mog space that will equal your current inventory capacity, in game, and name it MOG SATCHEL. That way, not only is SE ensuring they protect their investments (POL), but they get you to buy the damn thing because (now I'm pointing out americans here lmao) "the herd" is lazy and doesn't give a crap about this stuff, but will WHINE ABOUT IT LATER. (Believe me, I worked in customer service for 10 years.. I have a very good grasp of the common man and his mental meanderings concerning the marketplace of free trade.)

Like my wonderful pre-posting colleague stated, "it's a WIN/WIN situation." SE appears to the masses as coming to the rescure and being a "company that cares" and die-hard, MMOgamers get their free additional 80 inventory spaces we've been screaming about for years.

The only Catch-22 (there's always one, you know this) is that people like someone that will remain nameless will come on a forum and create havoc concerning a political stance of noble brevity, but really only goes home and takes off his holier-than-thou costume and slaps down into his troll recliner in his troll den and watches troll tv while eating the sorrows and emotions of the poster's he's claimed that day.

Well, thank goodness some of us are immune to troll damage and are inclined to think on the higher planes of common sense and reality. Believe me, common sense was the best JA I ever got. In the meantime, do us all a favor and go DIAF. Trolls don't regenerate from fire damage. xD lulz0r

Anyway, I bought the token cuz it killed two birds with one stone; the need for the feeling of some security and free inventory space. Didn't kill my pocketbook. I will admit, its annoying to have to carry it to LAN/Wifi, but oh well, I got over it. And if I ever lose the damn thing, that will be some annoying shizzzz. lol Either I get most conscienious about keeping my valuables, or I make SE nice rich and phat. lol

But of course, someone will come along and say "omfg my dog ate my security token and pooped out my password id.. i hate u SE for all of this /cry."

/endsarcasm
                          °·-._.-·°¤.-º°`¨·¥|Kageshinhiryu|¥·¨`°º-.¤°·-._.-·°
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT IS MORPHING TIME!"
                          sigpic

http://guildwork.com/u/kageshinhiryu

THIS LOOKS AWESOMESAUCE: http://www.deusex.com/

Comment

Feba, you seem to forget, that for all your preaching about some people "not being able to afford a security token" theres a lot more people who cant afford a cell phone or the service to use it. The cheapest cell phone plan out there costs roughly $5 a month, thats on top of the initial cost of the phone itself, plus a voice plan (cuz very few cell companies will allow you to buy a phone for JUST texting, save for prepaid plans, and dont get me started on those). Now, add it up every month, versus the $10 one time (well for a long while at least) of the Security Token..............yeah its very cost effective to both sides aint it? NOT! Sheesh man, when you pick a lost cause, you really stick to it dont ya Feba?

Like it was stated previously, the Satchel was just an ADDED bonus, for those who were borderline about buying the token. I for one, bought the token both for the added security, AND the satchel, and guess what, I PLAY ON 360 so..........yeah i dont NEED the extra security, but I would rather not risk it. Seriously, quit your bellyaching, SE wont always listen to what any of us have to say, especially when its a pretty dumb idea kiddo.

Edit: And I repeat, if $10 is a lot for you to part with, you shouldnt really be playing this game either.......
                            Originally posted by Van Wilder
                            Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
                            No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
                            Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
                            I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

Originally posted by hexx View Post
                              Feba, you seem to forget, that for all your preaching about some people "not being able to afford a security token" theres a lot more people who cant afford a cell phone or the service to use it. The cheapest cell phone plan out there costs roughly $5 a month, thats on top of the initial cost of the phone itself, plus a voice plan (cuz very few cell companies will allow you to buy a phone for JUST texting, save for prepaid plans, and dont get me started on those). Now, add it up every month, versus the $10 one time (well for a long while at least) of the Security Token..............yeah its very cost effective to both sides aint it? NOT! Sheesh man, when you pick a lost cause, you really stick to it dont ya Feba?

Like it was stated previously, the Satchel was just an ADDED bonus, for those who were borderline about buying the token. I for one, bought the token both for the added security, AND the satchel, and guess what, I PLAY ON 360 so..........yeah i dont NEED the extra security, but I would rather not risk it. Seriously, quit your bellyaching, SE wont always listen to what any of us have to say, especially when its a pretty dumb idea kiddo.

Edit: And I repeat, if $10 is a lot for you to part with, you shouldnt really be playing this game either.......
                              that is the key thing that should always be brought up when someone bitches about $10....

if you can a ford the extra ONE TIME payment of $10, or 20 or what ever the extra service costs, then maybe the time has come to look at if you really can a ford the game's monthly fee itself.

Comment

that is the key thing that should always be brought up when someone bitches about $10....

if you can a ford the extra ONE TIME payment of $10, or 20 or what ever the extra service costs, then maybe the time has come to look at if you really can a ford the game's monthly fee itself.
                                Gonna play devil's advocate here since I don't believe this will actually happen, but the issue isn't quite so simple if bundling hotly demanded in-game benefits ("Now your macros are 15 lines long!") with $10 trinkets becomes a habit for them. Couple that with regular add-on scenario releases and you could be looking at $22 instead of $12 every 2-3 months.

That's besides the fact that there was clearly nothing stopping them from implementing the Mog Satchel for free, which is uncool even if buying the satchel is no big deal.
                                Last edited by Armando; 06-15-2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X