Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SE needs to put more into the PVP aspect of the game

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
    yes ;p if FFXIV or even FFXI did not have any type of PvP, I would be perfectly fine with that, what I am trying to say is that a Colosseum type of PvP, where that is the only place PvP can take place, would not "ruin" the game as some think it would.

I did not care for the "sports" type of PvP very much, but I will say the few times I did it, it was rather entertaining.
    What are you talking about? PvP where you just kill none stop is boring. Adding an objetive to PvP is actually quite fun. Where you go about and actually have to do something like Capture the Flag, or Score Points with petras is much more fun than going about and killing one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
      What are you talking about? PvP where you just kill none stop is boring. Adding an objetive to PvP is actually quite fun. Where you go about and actually have to do something like Capture the Flag, or Score Points with petras is much more fun than going about and killing one another.
      It's more or less two different mind sets. And easy comparison to make is MW2 multiplayer vs MAG. Both games are at the surface fairly simple straight up FPS games. But in MW2, Deathmatch is by far the most popular and wanted type of match in the game, where your wins and loses depend solely on how many people you can kill. MAG, on the other hand, focuses purely on objectives, and killing people is just something that's done to help achieve the real objective. In MAG, many times the player with the highest score at the end will be someone who didn't get the most kills, as they were focused on the actual objectives needed to win a match.

In FFXI's PVP, killing someone was just a means to the end. In most MMO's PVPs, killing someone is the end, it's the only actual point of the fight.

Personally, I too prefer the more objective based game types, which is why I want a more sport based PvP type of game. It gives a lot more leniency towards players and classes who aren't the best at straight up combat by giving them other tasks to achieve that ultimately reward their team with the victory. Though the best answer would be to add both and let the players sort it out, if given the choice, I would choose the sport based PvP every time.
      "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

How many of you are for the new 99 level cap?

That's going to take a complete over-haul of every aspect of the game, and I've yet to come across one player who actually wanted this update.

When it comes down to it, it doesn't take much at all to fine tune a player versus player combat system so more can enjoy it; it's perfectly logical. Again, they're only gimping themselves if they don't, PvP may not be important to you, hell you may even be right about the 1v1 not going to work, but something can be done to attract more players to it. That could be making new zones, new game types, incentives, anything. They can even keep Ballista if they want, honestly I just hope fore more players to turn up. None of the aforementioned requires a lot of dedication from the dev team, at all. I'm not just some ignoramus spewing more crap than a muck spreader on some random webforum in a failed attempt to get SE to change a part of the game to suit my personal interests. I honestly feel a good part of the community would enjoy it, end of discussion. I'm not here to piss in your Cheerios, so you can stop trying to piss in mine.
        In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
        And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
        Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
        Yeah, It’s true.
        It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post

That's going to take a complete over-haul of every aspect of the game, and I've yet to come across one player who actually wanted this update.

When it comes down to it, it doesn't take much at all to fine tune a player versus player combat system so more can enjoy it; it's perfectly logical. Again, they're only gimping themselves if they don't, PvP may not be important to you, hell you may even be right about the 1v1 not going to work, but something can be done to attract more players to it. That could be making new zones, new game types, incentives, anything. They can even keep Ballista if they want, honestly I just hope fore more players to turn up. None of the aforementioned requires a lot of dedication from the dev team, at all. I'm not just some ignoramus spewing more crap than a muck spreader on some random webforum in a failed attempt to get SE to change a part of the game to suit my personal interests. I honestly feel a good part of the community would enjoy it, end of discussion. I'm not here to piss in your Cheerios, so you can stop trying to piss in mine.
          does not want the update? you mean does ;p

people will be able to do Dyna and all the other current uncapped endgame stuff easier with smaller groups, and that will bring prices of all that stuff down.

Now on the other hand the new level cap will bring new job abilities/spells to all jobs, and even new job combos that will be even more powerful then before.

there will be new leveling areas and everything. Even new endgame for people at level 99

That's not really an overhaul, there is not much SE has to do to raise the cap to 99, other then balance out a few things with spells and abilities

I don't think anyone that plays FFXI (talking majority here) would want the ability to PvP anywhere they want like in WoW.

Now again a Colosseum would not be a bad idea, but any other type of PvP style would not really work in FFXI.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

That could be making new zones, new game types...
            Those won't work.

The real reason no one PvPs in FFXI is that there's no rewards. Between Sky, Dynamis, Limbus, Assault, Nyzul Isle and Mythic WS, Salvage, Einherjar, ZNM, Campaign, Faye weapons, Trial of the Magians, HNMs, Merits, Add-on Scenarios and now Trial of the Magians, re-capping subs and taking your jobs up to 99, no one has time to dick around with non-profit activities. And if they do include rewards, then suddenly work is involved because they have to balance the new gear against existing gear and job balance suddenly matters because people are getting rewarded based on their performance.

But besides that, FFXI's combat mechanics are crude and can't handle multiple targets. The fact that our solution to multiple targets is always "sleep all of them, if that doesn't work kite all but 1 of them, if that doesn't work exploit the hate system by supertanking" speaks volumes about that. That's bad enough as it is but they're even more inadequate for PvP; it's effing stupid that you can avoid WS and 0.5 sec spells by running, and you can't cast even the fastest spells while moving.
            Last edited by Armando; 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post

Not really. All they gotta do is add new zones for the leveling, and capping out exp. And they gotta add abilities from 75-99. How is that a complete ovehaul? That can be done in a few weeks if that.

Edit: I actually wanted this update, because it would add more areas to the game, and possibly make it easier to get certain drops from certain NMs, and make soloing certain things easier as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                Between Sky, Dynamis, Limbus, Assault, Nyzul Isle and Mythic WS, Salvage, Einherjar, ZNM, Campaign, Faye weapons, Trial of the Magians, HNMs, Merits, Add-on Scenarios and now Trial of the Magians, re-capping subs and taking your jobs up to 99
                You said Trial of the Magians twice.

I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Whoops.

Then again they're gonna be adding more shit to it.

Comment

A large majority of ffxi players quit. A majority of them quit to pvp on a game that was friendlier towards it. I think if SE would like to keep its #s in the millions this time it should try to please that croud. There is nothing large about FFXI population anymore so plz stop using the majority card as an excuse. ffxi has lost over 75% of its population, and that is the tru reason its makin ffxiv and saying they wana fix all the crap that was fail bout 11. They want money, and most of all they want your money. buts im sure they wont have any issue getting it from any of us lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Yestopvp View Post
                      A large majority of ffxi players quit. A majority of them quit to pvp on a game that was friendlier towards it. I think if SE would like to keep its #s in the millions this time it should try to please that croud. There is nothing large about FFXI population anymore so plz stop using the majority card as an excuse. ffxi has lost over 75% of its population, and that is the tru reason its makin ffxiv and saying they wana fix all the crap that was fail bout 11. They want money, and most of all they want your money. buts im sure they wont have any issue getting it from any of us lol.
                      Where are you getting your numbers? FFXI lost 75% of the population? Don't make me laugh. Maybe they lost 25%, but not 75%.

Also, people quit because of money issues, or they simply get bored with the game, or they feel as if they can't really do anything else in the game.

PvP in this game really is friendly. If you wish to PvP, and not do the petras you can, just don't bother with it, and do shouts in WG. You'll find enough to do so eventually.

So...

who here really quit because PvP wasn't "friendly" to the PvP community?

Comment

if SE would like to keep its #s in the millions this time it should try to please that croud. There is nothing large about FFXI population anymore so plz stop using the majority card as an excuse. ffxi has lost over 75% of its population, and that is the tru reason its makin ffxiv and saying they wana fix all the crap that was fail bout 11.
                        ITT, BS

Comment

PvP players leaving a PvE game to go find a PvP game? Say it isn't so!
                          Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                          Name: Drjones
                          Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Majority, as in majority of FFXI players, not MMORPG players -.- and really PvP people leaving a PvE game? thats a shocker ;p

SE does not need to cater to everyone to "keep their shit" they can do that fine, and have been over the years just the way they been.

If you want PvP oriented game, go play Guild Wars, WoW, Star Trek Online, Aion....and countless others.

Do I wish FFXI and FFXIV had/might have some sort of PvP based thing (not counting what we have now) yes, but do I think the game "needs it" ? No.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Yea ffxi had 6.6 million players @ its peek...fun days alota PVP goin on every cap.

now they have 1.5 million chars.... only 320k active accounts

I left cuzz after the game died no one did pvp....
                              My guild left to go pvp on different server... now most of them have joined me.
                              There are alot more people that want to pve and pvp than just your small pve only croud... as bad as JP ONLY in my opinion.

WoW population ~3.5 million accounts and 6 million characters
                              Warcraft Census -
                              FFXI population ~500,000 accounts
                              The 6th Vana'diel Census
                              US Prison population ~2,186,230
                              Incarceration in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

numbers are fun these are 3 year old stats i bet FFXI only @ around 200k now....

Comment

Show me three examples of a MMORPG maintaining high numbers for eight years running.
                                Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                                Name: Drjones
                                Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Working...
                                X