SE needs to put more into the PVP aspect of the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SE needs to put more into the PVP aspect of the game

I'm sorry but, telling me that I should go play another game and "no one gives a shit about PvP," is indeed trolling. I'm specifically talking about this game, throwing the idea out that perhaps SE could alter some in-game aspect regarding PvP to satisfy the portion of the community that actually enjoys it. It's logical, end of conversation. Purposely leaving a potentially great part of the game out is only gimping themselves in the long run, if you don't care for PvP that's great, but fact is you aren't the only one who plays FFXI.

Before the rebuttle of "you aren't either," I realize that, however I'm not the only one who likes PvP.
    In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
    And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
    Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
    Yeah, It’s true.
    It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Ok, but how do you go about retooling the PvP without either rebuilding all the jobs from the ground up, or altering how they function outside the PvP arena? If you can figure out how to do that then sure, I'll hop on your bandwagon. The thing is, I can't figure out how they'd accomplish this without effectively building another game into FFXI that's solely to appease the PvP crowd.

Pitch me an idea here. How would you make this work if you had unlimited resources and control over development?
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
        Ok, but how do you go about retooling the PvP without either rebuilding all the jobs from the ground up, or altering how they function outside the PvP arena? If you can figure out how to do that then sure, I'll hop on your bandwagon. The thing is, I can't figure out how they'd accomplish this without effectively building another game into FFXI that's solely to appease the PvP crowd.

Pitch me an idea here. How would you make this work if you had unlimited resources and control over development?
        in ffxi they just nerfed the damage for all flagged in pvp. this has always been the system for most mmos, besides wows broken resilence sytem that is in its own way similar. i think it worked well for ffxi myself.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Tipsy did you perhaps have a mitra on pandemonium server?

Comment

Since FFXI is such a heavily team based game, SE decided that their PvP should be heavily team based as well.

But it just seems that this isn't the kind of PvP people wanted, and thus SE should change everything just to appease an infinitesimally small portion of their community. Except that's not really how things work in this game.

I mean, if you yourself find that the vast majority of people across multiple different FF forums feel PvP is not wanted or needed in this game, who are you to say this vast majority of players are wrong? Even when SE did make tweaks to PvP, and added ways for people to schedule their own PvP and even added a second form of PvP (back when this game was actually far more populated) the activity saw very little use, and almost none on many servers. If PvP was so important and so many people wanted it in this game, don't you think SE would have already done something about it already? Despite all the bitching and complaining, SE has made massive amounts of changes and additions that gave players exactly what they were asking for. If so many people wanted more PvP in this game, don't you think more people would be willing to agree with you and asked SE for it as well?

The very fact that PvP is so neglected in this game just reflects this game's community to avoid and dislike PvP in general. SE more or less did everything they could to try and appease the PvPers, but in the end, to make it something actually worth while and viable, they would have to massively overhaul the system which doing so would end pulling the already limited resources away from other developing content just to try and satisfy one of the smallest sub-communities in this game.

Hell, to be perfectly blunt, I find more people trying to find fellow RPers to play with then I find people looking for PvP additions. That alone should tell you something about this game and it's community.
          "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Who are you to say the "sub-community" of PvPers is "infinitesimally small"? I know a large variety of people enjoy PvP, more than I come across an RPer. I'll state for the third time, humans are naturally competitive, PvP is definitely of interest, perhaps the FFXI community doesn't "bitch" about it because the current system could hardly be consider PvP at all. There's no "over-haul" needed to "appease" the "sub-community of PvPers," all it takes is a few tweaks to damage formulas during PvP, or perhaps a new place to PvP with different rewards/incentives such as gear.

If I remember correctly, SE added Brennar, did that take a "complete over-haul" to implement?

I'm also lost as to what "limited resources" they would be consuming to do this?

Adding a new zone, Colosseum, some gear, change damage formulas, that's not even close to an over-haul. It would be a smart move on SE's end, even if you don't agree (which totally matters) to attract more players to PvP and perhaps more players to the already dying community of FFXI.
            In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
            And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
            Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
            Yeah, It’s true.
            It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post
              Adding a new zone, Colosseum, some gear, change damage formulas, that's not even close to an over-haul. It would be a smart move on SE's end, even if you don't agree (which totally matters) to attract more players to PvP and perhaps more players to the already dying community of FFXI.
              Thats only if you want FFXI to be filled with people that are like the majority of douches in WoW.

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
                Thats only if you want FFXI to be filled with people that are like the majority of douches in WoW.
                you make it seem like if FFXI had even something as simple as a PvP Colosseum, that it would magically be filled with D-bags like in WoW.....

News flash it already is -.- just in a different form. Adding something like this, would just add a place for people that would like to do a little PvP, something simple just flat out fight (and not the crazy complicated BS we have as "PvP" now) in a centralized controlled place. It would change nothing outside the Colosseum walls.

Yes there would be people that pop up that would act like "omg I iz better then you in PvP fight me now or be gay" ....but that is why god made the /blist command ;p

Others, myself included would see it as another way to kill a little time, and have some fun. If you don't want to PvP that's fine, don't go to the Colosseum.

The Colosseum could give nothing at all to anyone that participated in it, and people like myself would still go to it, just to goof off and stab friends (all in good fun of course) ;p
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Yada yada PvP.
                  Here's an idea, why not send an e-mail to S-E with your suggestions and see how far that goes.

Comment

Who are you to say the "sub-community" of PvPers is "infinitesimally small"?
                    Perhaps you missed the part where in the EIGHT YEARS THIS GAME HAS BEEN RUNNING the 'PvP community' has been almost non-existent. You even said it yourself, that every FFXI forum you go to, the majority of people tell you they don't want PvP. If it was so important to the game as you claim, that wouldn't happen and more people would be asking for it.

I know a large variety of people enjoy PvP, more than I come across an RPer. I'll state for the third time, humans are naturally competitive, PvP is definitely of interest, perhaps the FFXI community doesn't "bitch" about it because the current system could hardly be consider PvP at all. There's no "over-haul" needed to "appease" the "sub-community of PvPers," all it takes is a few tweaks to damage formulas during PvP, or perhaps a new place to PvP with different rewards/incentives such as gear.
                    So the current system can hardly be considered PvP at all, but just add some tiny new shiney thing to it and it will make the game far better then it ever has been in the entire eight years it's been up and running as one of the top rated MMOs ever? That's some logic right there. This game, by it's very nature, does not lend itself well to PvP. Especially one on one straight up fight types of PvP. It's why when SE tried to add PvP for those who wanted it, they went with the team sport mentality. Unfortunately, PvP that relies on teamwork, strategy and scoring goals rather then just killing other people "could hardly be consider PvP at all". There's plenty of competition in this game already btw, including a current form of PvP that you dismiss as it doesn't suit your personal taste.

If I remember correctly, SE added Brennar, did that take a "complete over-haul" to implement?
                    Because giving people Brenner was just a resounding success to the game. A lynchpin that draws people to FFXI by the thousands!

Oh wait, no one plays it. Not even when it was new.

I'm also lost as to what "limited resources" they would be consuming to do this?
                    There's fewer people specifically dedicated to FFXI then ever before, and as is they have trouble meeting their own pre-set deadlines and making things work right. But hey, it's ok if they ignore what the majority of the player base is waiting for, as long as they can appease that almost non-existent PvP 'community', right?

...so basically, they just need to change everything about the current forms of PvP just to get it to work to your specific personal tastes? Yup, it would totally be a smart move for SE to listen to one guy spouting non-sense on a webforum as opposed to listening to the vast majority of their player base. Oh it would be absolutely genius of them to completely ignore the community that has built up over the last eight years to try and bring in people who don't play the game because their ability to kill other players is limited to two already barely used types of PvP. They should totally cater specifically just to the people who want to kill other players and ignore everything else because "PvP is the backbone to any good MMO". FFXI will never survive or become one of the top three MMOs of all time unless they specifically do exactly what you say because you are the only person in the entire FFXI community who knows what this game needs to succeed!
                    "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

In all honesty its to late to add this type of PvP to FFXI, but I would like to see it in FFXIV. If it does not happen though, I could care less ;p

Comment

I have nothing against PvP specifically, and actually would like to see some form of it in FFXIV as a type of side game or something, but I know full well how unimportant it is to this game, and XIV's success in the long run.

With XIV maybe a "Colosseum" type of PvP would work better since the combat will be more fluid, but I personally liked the idea of a sporting event style PvP. Something like Ballista, with more in game organization and support, would be really fun imo. But again, the goal of the game would still be more about scoring points then killing other people. Which apparently doesn't count as 'true' PvP.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                          With XIV maybe a "Colosseum" type of PvP would work better since the combat will be more fluid, but I personally liked the idea of a sporting event style PvP. Something like Ballista, with more in game organization and support, would be really fun imo. But again, the goal of the game would still be more about scoring points then killing other people. Which apparently doesn't count as 'true' PvP
                          Maybe he doesn't think it isn't true PvP, but anything that allows you to kill another play. I like how they implemented PvP in FFXI. I just don't like how easy it is to kill another player with a certain job. Maybe if this type of PvP was implemented in a different game, it would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                            I could care less ;p
                            So you could care less.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
                              So you could care less.
                              yes ;p if FFXIV or even FFXI did not have any type of PvP, I would be perfectly fine with that, what I am trying to say is that a Colosseum type of PvP, where that is the only place PvP can take place, would not "ruin" the game as some think it would.

I did not care for the "sports" type of PvP very much, but I will say the few times I did it, it was rather entertaining.

Comment

I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Working...
                                X