Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Armando
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    I am aware that PLD tanking is a LOT harder to screw up. But when you're regularly down to less than 20% of your MP pool when fighting VT's and the BARD is having to assist you with cures know something is badly wrong.
    I agree that something is very wrong, but I doubt it's the job. It's more likely that the player just sucks. If I could tank IT mobs with no Haste and practically 0 Evasion gear from 37-40 I fail to see how a skilled high level NIN could ever possibly suck that hard against a VT mob with a BRD. Much less with a WHM using Flash.

    Elvtin, you're thinking of 2 STR giving 1 Attack for one-handed weapons.
    Last edited by Armando; 07-15-2008, 05:40 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Elvtin
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    Originally posted by Armando View Post
    To expand on Callisto's post: Every 4 VIT or so drops the mob's DMG by 1 much like every 4 STR increases our DMG by 1.

    I thought it was every 2 str = 1 dmg.. Like every 2 dex = 1 acc..

    That change at one point?

    Leave a comment:


  • Firewind
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    I am aware that PLD tanking is a LOT harder to screw up. But when you're regularly down to less than 20% of your MP pool when fighting VT's and the BARD is having to assist you with cures know something is badly wrong. And pick up parties always wonder why I insist that they pull some toughs to warm up on. Some setups just don't work and some places (I'm looking at Garliage and Quicksand Caves in particular) are just plain horrible places to be in at any level. I would like to know if the players that were just banded together will work well before we start pulling anything that could actually kill the party.

    Leave a comment:


  • Armando
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    Pick-up parties are not representative of a job's potential. Most pick-up PLDs I see in EXP suck something awful. The difference is that a shitty PLD can perform in a borderline acceptable manner, whereas a shitty ninja crashes and burns completely.

    Leave a comment:


  • little ninja
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    Originally posted by Firewind View Post
    People who say that Blink Tanks are less of an MP sponge then Paladins have never levelled WHM before. I don't think I've ever had more then 40% MP with a blink tank in the party.
    Then either A. They stink, B. They stink, C. They stink, or D. You cure to much...


    The Beastmaster Chr isn't broke. I think at 75 we just get a real crummy soft cap. I would imagine that its sorta like the haste cap from equipment. I really have noticed no difference from +25chr, and +60chr. In fact I think the more I add the worse my charm was. But thats just because the mischarms were closer together when I had more Chr gear.

    Leave a comment:


  • Firewind
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    People who say that Blink Tanks are less of an MP sponge then Paladins have never levelled WHM before. I don't think I've ever had more then 40% MP with a blink tank in the party.

    Leave a comment:


  • Armando
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    To expand on Callisto's post: Every 4 VIT or so drops the mob's DMG by 1 much like every 4 STR increases our DMG by 1. This means a whole lot more at low levels when the mob only has 10-20 DMG. As you go up, the mob starts getting 50, 60, 70, 80 damage, but you're still only shaving off 1 DMG per every 4 VIT. The amount of VIT you get as you level up doesn't scale up on par with that. You start with +2 VIT rings at Level 14, and by Lv.36 you only have +3 VIT rings. By 75 the best you can have is a mere +5 VIT per ring.
    ______________________________
    In addition to that, as you level up, the stats you sacrifice to gear up for VIT continue to increase. If you use a Medieval Gorget (3 VIT) you're sacrificing 4 Acc and Attack from R.G. Collar or 7 Shield Skill from Shield Torque. If you use Warrior's Belt +1 (3 VIT) you sacrifice 10 Acc from Life Belt. If you wear Gallant Surcoat (4 VIT) you're sacrificing 12.5 Acc and Attack from Haubergeon. If you wear Verve Rings (+3 VIT) you're sacrificing 5 Acc from Woodsman Rings or a straight -5% damage taken from Jelly Ring. It's not too big of a problem at low levels because you don't have too many alternatives to begin with and VIT is still giving you plenty of mileage for your buck.
    ______________________________
    Then there's the fact that at higher levels, you start mitigating damage in other ways. You start getting 3-5 MP/tick Refresh, you get Flash, you get Sentinel, you get Reprisal for shield blocks. SMNs, SCHs and BLUs can provide such things as AoE Stoneskin, Blink, Phalanx, and Regens. At low levels, your options are limited and you're still taking most hits directly to the face.

    Strictly speaking it's not that VIT does less, just that it doesn't improve along with other stats.
    Last edited by Armando; 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

    Leave a comment:


  • Gentoo
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    Originally posted by Losrase View Post
    Could you direct me to a post or explain why it is less useful? I dont want to waste gil on some gear/food that is only giving negligible benefit.
    Callisto's response a little ways up this thread.

    This thread is also useful:

    Leave a comment:


  • Losrase
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    Originally posted by Armando View Post
    Also, it's not just at 75 that VIT's broken. It becomes increasingly less useful in the quantities that it's available from the 40's up.
    For a person who is going to level PLD after my BLU get to level 75 + merits (73 currently). Could you direct me to a post or explain why it is less useful? I dont want to waste gil on some gear/food that is only giving negligible benefit.

    Leave a comment:


  • Taskmage
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    Like everything else in the game, tanking is situational.

    Leave a comment:


  • Armando
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    Also, it's not just at 75 that VIT's broken. It becomes increasingly less useful in the quantities that it's available from the 40's up.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kerio
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    riiiiight... before the giant debate, let's just all imagine some cool line from some movie and all stop worrying about it.

    Now, can someone please tell me the broken Charisma factor here?? This is important!

    Leave a comment:


  • Callisto
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    Paging Raitox to the General FFXI Forums

    Leave a comment:


  • Mog
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    Originally posted by Cotners View Post
    I never said other jobs weren't good tanks, and when it boils down to it, it's all about skill. But given all the abilities a pld has at its disposal, there is no denying a pld's supremacy.
    I'll just let you think that then. ^^ I'll end up opening a whole can of worms if I say anymore.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cotners
    replied
    Re: Rumor: Paladin Broken Vitality at 75?

    Originally posted by Mog View Post
    /facepalm
    I never said other jobs weren't good tanks, and when it boils down to it, it's all about skill. But given all the abilities a pld has at its disposal, there is no denying a pld's supremacy.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X