Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: character names

Originally posted by Mog
    I once saw a mithra named Briatharen. The geek that I am, I instantly recognized her to be Bria Tharen, Han Solo's former lover.
    I would poke fun at you, but I have my own set of subtle references to literature and other art forms that I recognize, so my house is quite securely made of glass.

Still, I'll find an opportunity to poke fun at you yet!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyclown
      My character's name is Lenee. I used to get spammed with tells claiming that X2 sucked
      I don't know why people hated it so much.

I just had the girlfriend create a translation based on what job I had decided to play, then when I found that it had to be one word (no spaces) I dropped one of the words.

The one word suits jobs I like to play better anyway.
      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
        I would poke fun at you, but I have my own set of subtle references to literature and other art forms that I recognize, so my house is quite securely made of glass.

Still, I'll find an opportunity to poke fun at you yet!
        And you're still the shortbus Elvaan.

Comment

Originally posted by Matera
          And you're still the shortbus Elvaan.
          You guys spent the gil to change my name. I think you should at least get some use out of it. I'll change it to something else later this week maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
            You guys spent the gil to change my name. I think you should at least get some use out of it. I'll change it to something else later this week maybe.
            Noooo!!!
            ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Maybe next week. But definitely eventually. I mean, no offense, because that's a fair chunk of gil to spend on little old me, but seriously - I need to get off the bus at some point.

Comment

I tend to choose names that have a personal meaning to me - one of mules is Gershwin simply because he is my favourite composer - but Vivacious (my cooking mule) and Kirsteena have a lot of personal meaning.

Just don't be surprised if some of the more common names are already gone - especially anything related to FF of days gone by...

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

Originally posted by Kirsteena
                  I tend to choose names that have a personal meaning to me - one of mules is Gershwin simply because he is my favourite composer - but Vivacious (my cooking mule) and Kirsteena have a lot of personal meaning.

Just don't be surprised if some of the more common names are already gone - especially anything related to FF of days gone by...
                  My mules are either named after my old characters, or named with derivations of those names. My main character (and my username here) was not my first choice. But Ael was apparently already taken across all servers, or at least across all of the servers available for random placement. It was very sad times for me.

I would have really enjoyed being named Ael. For personal reasons. Not that there is anything wrong with Aelathir. Just - the heart wants what it wants, or something.

Comment

I have a few more names on my short typography-themed list before I have to start naming mules something else. Well, unless I dip into silliness like "interpunct" and "interrobang," or the completely non-obscure ("Ampersand" and "Ellipses" are barely obscure enough). "Solidus" I want to avoid because of the Metal Gear tie-in. I would have been named "Reinforcements" but that was already taken, as was "Lazarus," my other usual online moniker.

A few days ago, someone asked me if I had the same character on WoW, which I assume means he knows someone on there named Ampersand, which made me a little sad, though I suppose it's unavoidable.
                    Ellipses on Fenrir
                    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                    . . .

Comment

Irisjir Callard (only Irisjir in the game though)

From the draconic:

Irisv (Meaning "Healing")
                      Iejir (Meaning "Blood")

An obscure refrence to the fact that even before I had the game, I wanted to play a whitemage/blackmage. I also plan to level paladin someday, which also fits the 'healing but bloody' padagrim to an extent.

If you like, I have the entire draconic translation matrix sitting beside my computer, not to mention House Maerdyn (Which I don't like as much because LOTS of people use it).

For the truly dedicated FF fan, there is the Al Bhed translator, which I don't truly like either, simply because I've never seen anything 'poetic' come out of it. Anything thta goes in comes out like garbage.

But from draconic, which to my knowledge is only available in hardcover,

Mage = Arcaniss
                      Warrior = Aryteus
                      Wizard = Levethix
                      Sorcerer = Vorastix
                      Theif = Virylm
                      Ranger = Sevaex
                      Human = Munthrek
                      Elf = Vaecaesin
                      Halfling = Rauhiss
                      (I don't know what a galka or mithra would equate to so no 'translation' for them)
                      Red = Charir
                      White = Aussir
                      Black = Vutha
                      Blue = Ulhar
                      Demon = Kothar
                      Undead = Kaegro

....I present a small selection, to perhaps give you a few ideas.

EDIT!

Oh yeah I forgot. Callard is the name of the guy who holds the patent on Duracell batteries. I was casting about for a last name (because someone else had Irisjir on a forum O_o (wonder how they came by that name) and the battery was the nearest thing at hand to grab and read.

Yes, it was inspired by the Simpsons
                      If you know how to download and use VRS, I am interested in being tutored.
                      *There is a high likelihood anyone who tutors me will recieve mucho artses*

Comment

With a game as large and far-reaching as WoW, chances are high that any real words are already taken. Alas!

Comment

I just would not expect the WoW player base to have the mental fortitude to spell real words correctly. Bah dum psssh.
                          Ellipses on Fenrir
                          There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                          . . .

Comment

Your expectations aren't without some justification. Barrens General Chat nearly broke my spirit several times.

Comment

Theres always asodishoai, kjgheejd, lsajhgj, dlghsdgsl. You might be called a gilseller then and random ppl will /tell you with abuse.
                              75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
                              Woodworking 91.9+2
                              ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

Ah the "omg my cat walked over my keyboard" names...

Actually we have a few players with names like that one our server that are legit...

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                                "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

Working...
                                X