Paying with a debit card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying with a debit card

Does anyone know how exactly this works? Do you get billed or does it just take off from the total amount of money you have on the card?

Re: Paying with a debit card

SE bills/charages at the same time. So at the start of every month, your account is automaticly deducted if you are using debit.

Comment

Would you get a bill in the mail? And also if your playing on the 30 days free could you cancel before the next month?

Comment

No, you don't get a bill in the mail. Yes, you can cancel before your free month is up, but you need a valid credit or debit card to get started regardless.

Debit cards work just like credit except that it pulls from your checking account instead of from your credit limit.

Comment

Yea too bad you can't choose when to pay when u want to play like WoW...

Comment

What if you got the debit card as a gift?

Comment

I've never had a problem with FFXI's billing. Being able to buy a year or so in advance is nice, but not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by LINK398
                That sort of card is called a "prepaid card" or simply a "gift card." To the extent that the amount is "debited" from whatever the value left on that card, it is indeed a debit card, but in most cases when we call it a debit card, it means the card is linked w/ your bank acct (depending on the country of issue, it doesn't need to be a checking acct or equivalent), not the pre-loaded money.

And because the money is directly deducted from the pre-loaded value on the card, nobody's gonna send you a bill nor a statement, while you can check the purchase records online if the issuer provides such service.

Comment

Originally posted by LINK398
                  As far as I am aware, FFXI's billing process treats debit and credit cards in exactly the same way; a Hold is placed on your debit/credit account in the specified amount, then the money transfer is made from the account.

This is pretty much the same way it works at a gas station, for example (though a gas station will usually put a large hold on your account due to them not knowing how much to charge you until you've finished at the pump - this is not a problem for S-E, so I'm guessing they should know exactly how much to issue the Hold for).

Icemage

Comment

Wait... can you use a debit card in North America?

Comment

Yes, you can.

Comment

You can use a debit card if It's got a Visa or MasterCard logo on it. Granted, most of them do these days, but it's not part of the definition of "debit card."
                        Ellipses on Fenrir
                        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                        . . .

Comment

My card is an RBC client card debit card. It has no logo on the front (just RBC - royal bank of canada), but has an interac logo on the back and says it is a registered trademark of VISA.
                          It goes like this:

#### ## ######## ##
                          Carlo Blablalablabla ##

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo 210
                            My card is an RBC client card debit card. It has no logo on the front (just RBC - royal bank of canada)
                            It won't work.
                            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

If it has a major CC company logo on it (Mastercard/Visa ect) it works just like a normal CC of that type. I use a Debit card from my bank and it has a Mastercard logo so it's treated as a mastercard.
                              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Working...
                              X