Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tips, guys. I really do appreciate it.

Anyway, I got to thinking the other day...even though I wanted to be a goldsmith before I even began the game, perhaps I should invest my gil in an "easier" craft first...like fishing. Get that up high enough to make a decent cash flow, and then start building up the uber expensive skill that is Goldsmithing.

Think this is a good idea?
    All Nations: Rank 10
    Rise of the Zilart: Complete
    Chains of Promathia: Complete
    75 BRD/75 WHM/75 BLM/75 MNK/75 RDM/57 DRK/40 THF/39 WAR/37 NIN & SMN/All the rest < 37

What to level next? (DRK!)

Comment

I'm a level 16.4 Goldsmith and I got to 16 from about 11 by synthing Brass Hairpins and then DEsynthing them with lightning crystals and REsynthing the brass ingots I got... works better with Advanced Image Support... but I thought I'd put that up since no mention desynthing the Hairpins to get your Ingot back... Hope this helps, it REALLY helped me... ~.^

Comment

Well, I've been working on Goldsmithing on and off and it's up to 20 now. I haven't really lost any gil per se, but I haven't gained any, either. I've been more or less breaking even.

When exactly do you actually start making a profit off of this? Is this guild really worth anything other than trying to make HQ items?
        All Nations: Rank 10
        Rise of the Zilart: Complete
        Chains of Promathia: Complete
        75 BRD/75 WHM/75 BLM/75 MNK/75 RDM/57 DRK/40 THF/39 WAR/37 NIN & SMN/All the rest < 37

What to level next? (DRK!)

Comment

you'll always make a profit if you get your own materials

that being said, sometimes you'll make more profit selling the materials rather than making the item unless you HQ (ie melody earrings on raggy, platinum ingots using 4 ore, etc)

if you play the scrouge and only buy materials up to a certain point you can make a marginal profit which increases as your skill level increases

like..buy silver ore/coins for 300*4, sell for 2k, 800 profit
          buy gold coins/ore for 6000*4, sell for 27-28k, 3-4000 profit~^^
          ~Aji

Comment

yea as son as u can make the better ingots < i.e. silver platnum> u start making the good profits
            Every dead body that is not exterminated, gets up and kills. The people it kills, get
            up and kill.

DaRk CarNiVal!!!!

<(o_0<) <(o_o)> (>0_o)> (kirby likes to dance)

Bastok Rank 4
            Others Rank 1

Comment

You don't start making any real profit til much higher level.

Lvl 51 GS now, temporarily stopped due to lack of funding (spent about 800k to get where I am).

There really aren't any synths that will make good gil relative to the amount that I've already dumped into the craft. In a sense I have made back a couple of hundred K via desynthing orc goldmasks, but I don't know if that really counts. True, you can make a few K here and there by buying cheap coins/ores/nuggets and selling the ingots, but the time spent doing that you could just go farming and make just as much, if not more.

HQing at 50 isn't really a reliable way to make gil either. Recently tried making peridot (can't remember off-hand, but it is HQ1 of one of the colored stones), HQ'ed 2/23 synths (1 fail) on darksday, for a grand profit of a few thousand K (for an hour's work running around buying stuff and synthing, which sucks balls).

Comment

hmm making a few thousand k in and hr... sounds good to me ... 1000k= 1million
                Every dead body that is not exterminated, gets up and kills. The people it kills, get
                up and kill.

DaRk CarNiVal!!!!

Bastok Rank 4
                Others Rank 1

Comment

No it isn't. What is a few k per hour, when at lvl 50+ you can lose something like 10k per synth? If you want to take goldsmithing far you need another high source of income. Personally I farm an average of 50k/hr, or a possible 600-700k (depending on luck) per day if hunting NMs, and even then I can't afford to continue power lvling GS, it's just too expensive.

Comment

Kristin, I think what he meant was you saying you made a "few thousand K"

1000k = 1 million gil ^^

75DRK . 37THF . 38WAR . 37SAM . 37NIN . 22WHM . 18MNK . 17BLM . 16SMN - [Rank 10]
                    Leader of Doom - Odin
                    Member #46 of ZORINSOUL - Odin
                    Member of TeamKANICAN - Odin
                    [ 63 Alchemy - 60 Cooking - 50 Goldsmithing - 20 Smithing]
                    Relic Armor: 2/5 Obtained
                    Scythe 276 - Great Sword 269 - Sword 240 - Axe 220
                    Fenrir: O -- Tu'Lia: O -- Moon: O
                    Current Status:Working on Dark Knight website
                    DAoC - Soulstaff 50Friar - Merlin
                    DA0C - Primadonna 50Eld - MLF
                    DAoC - Soulscar 4x SB - Guin

Comment

Haha

Damn *slaps self*

That should have read "a few k" or "a few thousand gil" /nod

Comment

:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:

Lmao ^^
                        up and kill.

DaRk CarNiVal!!!!

Bastok Rank 4
                        Others Rank 1

Comment

Spent 6 mil getting from 55 to 59 yesterday.

Did Gold hairpins and Gold Rings. Yup, 6 mil.

Nothing's sold back yet and i don't think I'll be getting my 6 mil back anytime soon.

400-420k per stack of gold ingot
                          24k per Gold Hairpin (cost is 34k)
                          72k per Gold Ring (Cost is 68k)

What level do I start making money again? Oh that's right, never.
                          BST 75 (Active) | BRD 75 (Active)
                          DRG 63 (Retired) | BLM 55 (Semi)
                          WHM 37 (Support) | NIN 37 (Support)

^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^

Comment

Stack of gold ingots is like 300k on my server

Comment

currently 58, and no matter what I do i will end up losing money from this point on. Unless i depend on HQing rocks, recently got 2 diamonds from 5 translucent rocks, the only reason why i havent given up this craft. And I seem to have better HQ with rocks on certain days/moon phases, contrary to what others post are the best days for HQ. But I'll leave that for your experimentation.
                              NSC
                              1998-

Comment

Originally posted by Sanguine

Nothing's sold back yet and i don't think I'll be getting my 6 mil back anytime soon.

1 mil is enough to skill u up from 55 to 59 >.>

Main : Sephiro
                                Mules : Sephira Eviljin Sephon
                                COP missions = Complated

Comment

Working...
                                X