Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of starting Goldsmithing. This will be my first craft. I sold all my gears... everything! now my char is stark nakked except for AFs and Ex items. Thus i have 30 million ++ to work with.

I thought i could use that 30 mil to level my goldsmithing to 100. Until i saw the below post... that's a whoopin 251 million gil to work golsmithing! I don't have that much and i will never have that much!!!

Is it accurate? 251 million is crazy! Maybe i'm missing the PL part. what does plvling craft mean? sorry i'm a newbie in this forum

late reply but you're out of your mind if you want to even think of plvl'ing gs to 100

simply put, it's impossible to plvl "efficiently"

but uh if you want figures:

1 mil -> 54
    3 mil -> 60
    5 mil -> 64
    11 mil -> 70
    15 mil -> 75
    20 mil -> 82
    27 mil -> 87
    30 mil -> 92
    35 mil -> 95
    42 mil -> 97
    62 mil -> 100

give or take 10 mil

Comment

• PL a crafting means you are power leveling. You are crafting for purely skill ups, and selling your crafts to NPCs (since AH takes some time to stuff to sell).

I'm lvl.40 in Goldsmithing. Taking my time, and picking my crafts wisely. I think I've basically broken even (huge losses from 20-27, and small gains from there on end).

Edit - And then you come across a thread like this, and this makes you wanna cry. http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.htm...95198107&num=7

Comment

• Exactly. Making and breaking for quick skill ups. All caution to the wind. cept for desynthing on the appropriate days. I leveled very quickly but lost alot of gil in the process. Can someone reccomend a good level to start breaking down the Gold Orcmasks? And what have you found it to be percentage wise?
        Necrosavant
        DRK60/WAR30
        Goldsmithing 50

Comment

• Kastel, what did you do with all those hydro claws you made? On my server putting them up for auction isn't an option, they never sell. If they npc for a decent amount I could see this working though.

www.lunariansls.com

Comment

• heres an easy one for low lvl characters on smithing and Level. Defeat yagados for the Yagado Necklase.

1 yagado necklas + 1 Lightning Crystal = Bronze Ignot.

Easy cash if you sell a stack. Only problem is buying the Crystals.

Comment

• Word of advice to those trying to advance goldsmith: don't.

Back in the day, this might have been feasible for the slightly out of the ordinary crafter; but today, unless you're rich (I'm talking over 20 million free cash you don't care wasting), you don't have a chance.

Everything is fine and dandy until the mid 60's. Hell, if you don't mind a 10k per synth loss, you can go to 67.0 easily on hydro patas. Here, however, is where the problem starts.

The recipes from 70 to 80 (or whenever you had planned to start cutting elemental ores) are absolutely hell. There is not a single useful recipe in the 70's except the lv3 rings, which have declined so far in price that (most of them) are not worth a quarter of their ingredients. Not only that, but at so late in this game's life cycle, the amount of gold smithers making gold rings (for skill) and selling them for a loss has reached zero. Which means if you want to skill on the lv3 rings, you'll have to make the gold ring yourself, which adds to your loss.

Depending on your server, lv3 rings sell from between 30k~50k (50k if you're lucky) and cost around 80k to make. This is a potential 50k loss per synthesis. Not to mention we're not talking quick NPC sellback here, this is AH wait-a-thon sale.

From the way I see it, lv3 rings are out of the question. It's far easier to make some of the skill 70~ equipment which takes only 1 gold ingot (as opposed to gold rings which take 2), and double the amount of skill up you can obtain, while still losing the same amount of money.

Another problem is the sheer lack of materials (not even rings, ingots). Ingots are in hot demand by every level of crafter, trying to skill or make HQs. This makes it even more important that you make every gold ingot count and make some equipment rather than put 2 ingots together to make a ring. I've slaved on the AH all day long to aquire every gold ingot possible and in the end only ended up with 7 stacks (84 synthesis.) If you're lucky, 7 stacks will get you about 2.5 points up.

Anyway, I've made it from 67 to 74.1 on about 1.5 million gil per level. I still have the goods I made on a couple mules (no clue what to do with them, because they never sell). I mainly shot for the gold lv60 +vit set and gold patas. As painful as this sounds, I see it as the cheapest route, atleast for my server.

Just a warning to aspiring gold smiths. If you don't have an insane amount of money, you're better off quiting. Making gold ingots and such and thinking "I just might be able to do this!" is great and all, but in reality, gold smithing isn't realisitic.
              Gatts - PLD75/WAR37
              and you call your self a canadian

PiNG broke my sig and all I got was this T-shirt.

Comment

• The cost varies tremendously from server to server. On mine the lv 3 rings sell for usually 50-60k (currently going up about 5-10k each to match the gold ingot price going up recently) and the gem cost is very low meaning you are only losing around 10-15k per synth which is quite bearable. Now I'm at 71 with the shades and apron and with a few lucky HQ as well as the stuff I can HQ easily I can keep the gil coming in quite reasonably.

It is still a nightmare though don't get me wrong :D I guess on some servers it's worse than others. I had to laugh the other week when a 80+ clothcrafter was complaining at losing 5k per synth or something. I got used to that around 40-50 goldsmith :p

Comment

• I just hit 58, and yes, you were right about levelling being hell from 50 till now, and you'll probably be right about it once I hit 70, but now that I'm skilling up on Platinum ingots, I break even. I make about 7k profit per ingot, and I don't break more than 1 in 6. The profit I make off the ingots more than makes up for the loss.

Only trouble is... there are only 2 or 3 buyers for my ingots. Any idea as how to move the ingots fast? I'm not close enough to skillup on ingots and Earrings yet.

Comment

• Boy do I wish I was on fairy. Sounds like you have very few high level goldsmiths there.

My advice would be to keep them if you have the capital, because you will want them later, and if no one else is selling them, you'll have to slave the AH waiting for someone to list them or go after another recipe at that stage.

For what it's worth, the 50s were simple in comparison to the 70s. It's said the 70s are a goldsmiths "true test" and it certainly seems to be the case. Before I get to 80 I'll have lost around 16 million gil. And that's money that's not coming back either. The items you make don't sell, so you can only NPC them. The 1.5 some million I lost during the 50s is chicken scratch in comparison. Everything after 80 is pretty much profit or break even. Just a little bit further... orz
                    Gatts - PLD75/WAR37

Comment

• Sorry for the double post. I just read the power leveling GS to 100 and had a good laugh. Not only would it cost an insane amount of gil, it's simply not possible. There aren't enough LV90~100 ingredients floating around at any given time and you'll always be waiting for someone to list shit so you can buy it.
                      Gatts - PLD75/WAR37

Comment

• 70.6, love losing 30-40k on +3 rings :spin:

Comment

• Everybody here spends so much gil O.O I get excited when i have 200k+ lol

Anyway, I'm currently 48 goldsmithing with 460k I'm about to spend on gold ingots and was wondering if anybody here actually has goldsmithing supply its own skill up money. Send me a PM if you don't want to post please ^^
                          Joyouse = O
                          Enhancing Sword = O
                          Goldsmithing = 52.7 +1
                          Smithing = 35
                          Fishing = 23.4 + 4
                          San d'Oria Rank = 10
                          Bastok Rank = 3
                          DRK/37 NIN/37 WHM/37 BLM/37
                          New Main Job = THF/30
                          Solo'd: Shiva, Ramuh, Garuda (all primes), Ose @66, Miser Murphy, Mission 2-3

Comment

• Yeah, I was making enough of a profit off of Platinum ingots 2 weeks ago enough so that it paid for the botches. And then some idiots bought up all the nuggets and raised the price 17k each. So now a successful synth breaks even and a botch hurts real bad. Sometimes they pay for themselves sometimes they don't.

Gold ingots for me were only break even. botches were a total loss.

Good luck!

Comment

• I guess what i meant was, does anybody make any money with synthing who is around goldsmithing 49? Or am I just trying to find the best HQ item once i hit 50 and try for that?
                              Joyouse = O
                              Enhancing Sword = O
                              Goldsmithing = 52.7 +1
                              Smithing = 35
                              Fishing = 23.4 + 4
                              San d'Oria Rank = 10
                              Bastok Rank = 3
                              DRK/37 NIN/37 WHM/37 BLM/37
                              New Main Job = THF/30
                              Solo'd: Shiva, Ramuh, Garuda (all primes), Ose @66, Miser Murphy, Mission 2-3

Comment

• I didn't really find anything to make a decent income until I got to around 68 GS. Currently at 74 with Shades and Apron and I can make quite a healthy income from it.

Comment

Working...
                                X