This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thnx dude
    Associate with well-mannered persons and your manners will improve. Run around with decent folk and your own decent instincts will be strengthened.

-Stanley Walker-

Comment

• At 28.4 skill now, been doing various Iron related items.

Tried doing Iron armour items, was very slow, and sale to AH and NPC was rather slow. Iron chains is even slower, 2 stacks of Iron Ingots although no failures, only gave me .5 skill and with a 10k loss it seems rather tedious.

Any advice for what i can try at this level to push my way past Iron items to get into the steel business?
      Rusty cap (2k at AH caught by fishermen) + light crystal = padded cap (NPC sale price 2600+ depends on fame)
      that skill cap's at around 34 or 36

unless people are completly loaded they might aswell give up smithing

i had 800k a week ago only bought 50k bed ,gobbie bag 3 & 4
      and spent about 50k on bst food/jug's
      and im now down to 200k after taking smithing from 20-43

Comment

• Hmm, X.. I hit 56 finally, and started nodowa`s at 55.7.

I am extremely disappointed with the outcome so far. I went through 4 stacks of earth crystals and 3 stacks of the other two ingredients. I got a 0.1 and a 0.2 in those 50ish synths. 0.3 total for 50 synths. Not to mention i only successfully made 8/36ish. It was horrible. So anyway, my question you to and fung is, is there anything I was doing wrong? I started on earthday on a new moon. This has really discouraged me from continuing and I think I will take a break for a little while. Tfung said that he got from 55.4-60 in 8 stacks of ingredients. I got 0.3 in 3 stacks... is there some magical thing you did fung? Any help from you two would be appreciated.
        ガラス張り�家��む者�石を投�������。
        Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Comment

• New Moon I find is better for HQ... terrible for success and skillup tho.... If you want skillup and higher success rate.. try to synth at Full Moon. Even so, I started Nodowas at 55, between that and 59, the failure rates were horrible at Full Moon and earth day. Expect to take about 10 stacks of each ingredient to get it to 60, with tons of failures.

BTW, lvl87 smithing now.. ^^b

I kinda contemplating the future for my smithing now... at this lvl, the only thing I can smith to skillup on that doesn't require half a mil of ingredients per synth are death scythes (lvl93) and Bhuj (lvl95). They cost respectively 30k and 55k in ingredients each synth, and sells to npcs at 1/6 of that. They kind of sell to AH's at break even, but sell so slow that it's not worth the space on my mules to wait around to sell them. Since lvl80, the skillup rate gets much slower than before, and I get 0.1 skillup per roughly every 7-8 synths. It took me 30 deathscythes on full moon to get from 86.5 to 87... @_@;; I'm not sure how long it's going to take to get to 90.. but it just seems so long and painful to get it any higher... Orz...
          75DRK/75BRD/42WHM/40WAR/40THF/40BLM/37NIN/30BST/24SAM/15MNK
          -RETIRED-

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?7810

Comment

• I wouldn't advise doing nodowa at all until 56. It's a 10-point gap between your current skill(56) and the cap(66) at that point. Doing it at 55 is a real stretch.

That's why I recommended steel greaves from 55-56. Whether or not you save any money making greaves, I don't know, but at least you can calculate the overall expense involved when making them.

If you use earth moghancement while making nodowa, the early levels(56-61, really) will be much easier on your budget. If you had Smithy's mitts at 55, you could also make nodowa with about the same success rate as someone with 56 skill. Stuff like the mitts and apron should help skilling up immensely when there is still a risk for failures.

I had wondered how you finance all your crafting, tfung, but now I see that you have a level 70 job, so I know how now *) A level 48 rdm just can't earn the cash necessary to raise skill. So I'll be stuck at 73 for awhile. Oh darn *p

Comment

• Arite i ahve a little problem.. im a level 36 sam and i refuse to get lv 40 until i have my jujuitsu gi and 2 sniper rings... currently i camp lizzy for money.. but im really getting sick of waiting for 1-4 hour spawns and only getting it 1 out of 10 times.. im thinking maybe blacksmithing can solve my problem.. i have 100k and was wondering if i could use that tog et blacksmithing high enough to a point i could make profit out of it.. please let me know if u think it can be done.. ro if u ahve any better idea's id love to hear them

Comment

• smithing or most other crafts for that matter is not a quick money maker... it takes a lot of time to get the craft to a high lvl, not to mention the costs to that. Even when you have it to a high enough lvl, the products you make to sell for a profit takes time to sell (some more expensive and rare +1 equipment might take up to a month real time)... If you're looking to get money quick, I suggest that you hunt NMs, farm or do BCNMs...
                -RETIRED-

Comment

• Hey tfung and X, thanks for the replies. I am actually 56 now, but still really slow. Ill try waiting until full moon and try going for 60 again. When I was making dark sheets on new moon, I got quite a few 0.2 ups, so i thought new moon helped. Oh well, Ill try again later. Oh and fung, I have everything planned up until 73, but after that it looks extremely difficult to lvl up. Especially after 90, where almost everything involves the use of adaman sheets/ingots. Im planning to take smithing to 100, but holy crap that`s going to be a bitch ; ;

And as for money, I was just extremely lucky with bcnm 40. I got 4 erase scrolls and a phalanx in 5 times of going. I also mine in ifrits and have found 5 adaman total. Right now I have about 1.2mil saved up, and hope that will take me to about 80.
                  ガラス張り�家��む者�石を投�������。

Comment

• Expect 73-79 to cost you about 2 million gil, give or take, if you power-synth it. I have 1.5 mil gil at 73 and I won't even try to raise my skill at the moment. No way, no how.

Comment

• Supposidly I've heard that you can do Padded Caps up to level 34 by using this recipe.

Light Crystal - Rusty Cap x1

When could I start this? It sounds a lot cheaper than Iron Products - and I even heard it can break help you break even.

I'm smithing level 22 now...so maybe 25-26ish?

Comment

• got from lvl87.2 to 88.1 day before yesterday.... full moon 100%lightsday and 98% darksday...

50 synths
                        cost of ingredients ~ 1.5 mil
                        sold product to AH + npcs ~ 300k (would have been an extra 100k if I sold it all to AH.. but takes forever to even move 1)
                        loss ~ 1.2 mil

dumping 1.2 mil is painful... but at least I got some skillup from it and finally Veteran status... At least it's not as painful as losing a damascus... I'll try the same again next fullmoon on windsday and see how that goes with skillups... don't think it'll vary that much tho at this lvl. by the way, the guild test item at 88 is a celeta...

there are other ways to make money and skillup from lvl85-100 with adaman equipment. But most items sell very slowly on AH and there are always many of the same for sale at the same time... the cost of tying up 500k-3 mil gil per item waiting a week to sell for a 10-20% profit is a bit too painful. Though it's probably what I'll have to end up doing. No more powerlvling with minimal loss...

To the poster above.. I see a lot of people doing padded caps from that recipe. Seems to be pretty cheap and easy to do, providing there is adequate supply of rusty caps
                        -RETIRED-

Comment

• 1.2 million loss? Ouch that really must have hurt. Still, i guess at that level, you can do HNMs and go through money like that without too much of a guilt conscience.

Got my smithing to 39.1 yesterday after camping a few NMs and being able to throw some money into steel stuff.

As for Rusty caps, you can do them from 28 > 36. I did those last week, and they sell for a profit to ANY NPC, but even better if you can sell some to a Guild NPC.
                          Maat Masher
                          Accuracy Bonus + 57
                          DRK 74
                          Byakko, Suzaku, Genbu : Defeated.

Comment

• Could I start sooner with reasonable results? I'm trying to not mess with Iron Sheets because turning a 37k item into a 25k item (Sheets to Scales) is just not a good thing for me right now.

I'd like to start that ASAP, so do you think maybe if I did it with Adv. Imagery and worked on Lightsday I could do it around 25-26?

Comment

• my gawd.. spent about 1mil doing kari. arrowheads...
                              costing 8k per synth and selling back to npc for 170g x6..
                              it only brought me from 73 to 75.6 -_-;
                              maybe i should've waited for full moon... did it at 37% ; ;

bah, might as well just do darksteel nodawas now
                              since they have about same money lost -_-

since i have both mittens and apron, doing DS nodawas at my lvl doesn't seem that bad.. just gotta go back to windie to get more yellow jars to fill up my mog

i guess i'll have to blow about 2mil more before i can make hauberk... *sigh* i could just buy myself a balmung with the money i'll spend to raising it to 85ish ; ;
                              crafting is addiction ; ; /cry

Comment

• Ugh... hit 65.8 last night and will start on dark picks after i get 60 wood (want to hq my own elm lumber). After 73... Im lost.. I have no idea what Im going to do, and dont have millions to spend on the craft. Antican pauldron go until 76 smithing, i might try those. Although we all know how awful desynthing skillups are.

On a side note, I came across a lvl 6 thf with no sub in bastok trying to sell a hauberk. I messaged him asking how he came across it, and wanted to know if i would buy it. I asked him how much and he told me 1.5mil. I just checked the jeuno ah that morning and price of hauberk was 1.35mil, so i told him that. I asked him again how he got it and he told me he shouldnt tell me this, but his friend hacked some site and gave him 10mil gil, and he managed to get smithing to 97+ and alchemy to 90+. I told him flat out he was lying, and tfung`s loss seems to prove that i was right, that he was lying. Anyway, what does everyone else think of this?
                                ガラス張り�家��む者�石を投�������。

Comment

Working...
                                X