Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitsu: Darksteel picks actually sell for 12k to NPCs, not on the AH. This, of course, is even better. That means you can make 36 or 48 darksteel picks for skill and then dump them on any NPC merchant you like for instant gil returns(and, hopefully, profit). I don't think anyone actually uses darksteel picks for anything other than blacksmithing skill *)

Calladan: Iron ingots can make you money, but iron sheets are often better. Take a look at the individual and stack prices of iron ingots vs iron sheets on your server. If the price difference is more than the cost of a single fire crystal, you're probably going to make more money on the sheets once you have the ability to make sheets reliably. Also take a look at the rates of sale. There's no sense in making iron sheets if ingots are selling 5x faster, unless you're the only guy making the sheets(not likely). Ore supplies should also affect your decisions regarding ingots vs sheets. If ore supplies are tight, sheets are probably a better option.

As far as rams are concerned, I'd do both. Make ingots/sheets, put them on the AH by the stack, then hunt rams like mad and put ram horns and skins on bazaar or on AH with a mule character. Earn money from multiple angles. You can also try growing yourself some fire crystals on the side and selling the extras. Blacksmiths are not notorious for having "extra" fire crystals, mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by blueoakleyz
      If you were to craft all the way to level 100 without ever selling ur goods how much gil would it cost?
      It's hard to put a pricetag on doing this because of supply limitations. Many materials you need for blacksmithing absolutely must be mined or grown(and mining is, by far, the fastest way to get this stuff). Darksteel ore is a prime example of something you just can't snarf up at guilds or off npcs.

Your costs would rise dramatically at higher levels of skill because you'd literally have to buy out every scrap of material you needed for your current skill path. You'd drive up raw and processed material prices. Miners and other blacksmiths would laugh all the way to the bank, and you'd probably get frustrated by the AH constantly running out of the ore, ingots, lumber, leather, etc that you want/need for your skill paths.

I wouldn't advise it unless you intend to make a lot of other people rich for very little real increase in speed of skill-ups. You WILL bog down eventually, once you outstrip your server's ability to produce the resources that you need. Keep in mind that other crafters will be vying with you for these same materials. Also keep in mind that my guide features very few sell-backs to the AH. I already try to dump the majority of the fruits of my skill-up labors to NPCs or guild NPCs, except for highly profitable stuff like ingots and sheets that are often in demand. The thing that slows me down on skill paths like nodowa and darksteel picks is supply. There is only so much darksteel in the land at any given time.

Comment

LOL just gettin to the point where i can make Darksteel Picks with a reasonable success rate. right now im workin on buying 30+ Cupbards for fire moghancement (which i will do over time). Its a plus to have other EASIER guilds lvled as well for they can supply you with gill quite frequently. IMHO Smithing has to be one of the HARDEST guilds to raise, simply because after 80 all synths will cost anywhere from 70k-400k (on my server). One person on my server that is 98.6 Smith has been workin on it since he started and he estimates around 10-20 mil from 70-98. Although pricey high lvl smiths are as rare as high level/GOOD ninjas on my server ^^

60k Guild points earned so far...only 260k to go :sweat:
        Smithing 68
        Weaving 60
        Leather 30
        Woodworking 73
        Alchemy 50
        Amazing what one will do to level Blacksmith in this game -.-

Comment

30+ cupboards for fire moghancement?

You know each cupboard has a elemental rating of . . . 6(as I recall), right? I was able to achieve fire moghancement with just 4 cupboards(to overcome the 20 earth provided by my 10 porceline flowerpots). What kind of messed up furniture do you have that requires you to have 180+ fire?

In reality, blacksmiths should have a furniture setup that allows them to swap furniture around to set up fire, lightning, and earth moghancement as the occasion warrants. I suppose you could make the argument for air moghancement as well.

Comment

Would anyone mind explaining Moghancements? Im not totally sure as to what they do? If I get 4 cuborads at +6 fire thats +24 fire? so does that help my fire crystal synths??? explain please =)
            MNK:45 WAR:25 BST:24 WHM:19 THF:15 NIN:12 BLM:11 BRD:03
            Alchemy: 58
            Blacksmith: 40
            Fishing: 40
            Cooking: 33
            Goldsmith: 20

Comment

lol i already have furniture set-up for fire and Desynth (only 2 that REALLY matter in Smith) What i want to do is get a "Filled with Elemental Energy" message from my mog. Just to test my theories, plus i have around 5 mules so i switch furniture around ALOT. I never have more than one type of furniture in my MH at any given time. I beleive to get strong aura youll need elemental rating of 51-120, then for Filled Aura 121-???.
              Smithing 68
              Weaving 60
              Leather 30
              Woodworking 73
              Alchemy 50

Comment

Originally posted by Mitsu
                lol i already have furniture set-up for fire and Desynth (only 2 that REALLY matter in Smith) What i want to do is get a "Filled with Elemental Energy" message from my mog. Just to test my theories, plus i have around 5 mules so i switch furniture around ALOT. I never have more than one type of furniture in my MH at any given time. I beleive to get strong aura youll need elemental rating of 51-120, then for Filled Aura 121-???.
                I severly doubt that higher levels of elemental aura will improve moghancements, but hey, you never know.

FYI, desynth is a pretty worthless moghancement. Lightning moghancement is superior. I didn't believe it at first, but now . . .

Comment

lol i was truly wondering about having a lightning moghancement over desynth. Losing 9+ Quad backplates is not fun at all -.-
                  Smithing 68
                  Weaving 60
                  Leather 30
                  Woodworking 73
                  Alchemy 50

Comment

Sorry, but i didnt see any list on how to make steel ingots....I know that they are made of iron ores but how many and at what lvl?

Comment

• They are HQ synth of Iron Ingot.

Or, you can use this recipe:

Steel Ingot
                      Skill cap: 54

Bomb Ash ×4 
                      Iron Sand ×4

HQ: Tama-Hagane

Comment

• So when can i expect HQ's of iron's? at lvl 40-50smithing?

Comment

• Same chance as HQ1 of anything..

ie: gets better at 10 more skill then the skill cap, better again at 30 above, and then once again at 50..

Comment

• Thanks for the information^^ better get cash and get my skill up 30more lvls ^^

Comment

• smithing post 73...

hi, i'm currently @69.7 on smithing
                              and was wondering about what to craft next after darksteel picks

i was planning on doing Kari. Arrowheads from 73 to 79.. but i wanted to know the estimated cost of arrowheads to npc

recipe is : fire crystal + iron ingot + tama-hagane..
                              estimating about 7k per synthesize (yields 6 arrow heads)

a stack of this sells for 6~8k in my server... and not very often either
                              so i'm guessing it's selling for less?
                              hrmm, maybe it's not worth doing it? (i remember darksteel headbolts only selling for like 1.3k per stack to npc... sold it in AH of course ) maybe darksteel mittens etc are better gil return if i'm selling to npc... hrmmm ><;;

oh, and also, wanted to know if anyone knew how much darksteel gorget sells for to npc?
                              sorry that i've been asking a lot of questions, but would be wonderful if anyone can share their experience
                              thanks a lot ^^

Comment

• Maybe you can pair up with a Woodcrafter?
                                Craft skills:
                                Leathercraft: 91+1
                                Smithing: 54
                                Weaving: 60
                                Alchemy: 60
                                Bonecraft: 39
                                Woodworking: 47
                                Cooking: 41
                                Goldsmithing: 53
                                Fishing: 55

http://s7.invisionfree.com/TheCraft

Comment